Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you get your leg over the milk crate?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you get your leg over the milk crate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 10:54 AM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pscyclepath
The way I teach it in the League Traffic Skills and Commuting classes:

Stand on the left side of the bike. Place your right hand on the saddle and reach across the bicycle with the left hand to grab the right end of the handlebar. Lean the bike towards you until you can easily step over the frame and then start raising the bicycle and shifting your feet until you are astride the frame. You may have to make two steps to get all the way over the frame.

As for spilling what's in the crate, I usually keep the stuff back there containerized in some sort of box or plastic bag... it's much better than having loose junk rolling around back there, and potentially falling through the holes in the bottom of the crate.
This sounds very much like how I used to have to mount my Le Tour… I never could really swing my leg over the rear tire and seat post very well. When my hip started going bad it got to the point that I would have to lay the bicycle on the ground and step over the top tube; pick the bicycle up a little and step over the bottom bracket. Getting off of the bicycle was far more risky of a maneuver.

After my hip replacement I got a U-frame, and then a Mixte; problem solved. I’m probably to the point now where I could mount/dismount a diamond frame again using your method, but I like my Mixte so well there really isn’t any need to now. And, even with a cooler full of picnic for the wife and I… I don’t need to lean the Mixte over at all. But, I used to wonder if anybody else mounted their bike the way you describe, because almost everyone else threw their leg over the seat or some over the handlebars. I never saw anyone else lean the bike over and step over the center bar like I used to.
Old 01-11-10, 11:11 AM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very simple, I put the crate on the FRONT RACK. But then, if I put it on the back (against all sense), it's a step thru frame anyway. Much more practical for heavy loads.
Old 01-11-10, 04:19 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for some reason I read that as "How to you get your keg in the milk crate?" and I was gonna tell you thats what trailer is for
Old 01-11-10, 04:33 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^
That is funny.
Old 01-11-10, 08:02 PM
girlonbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, I don't get on my bike that way. I get on by stepping over the center bar. Perhaps you can try that *shrugs*
Old 01-11-10, 08:54 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I have a milk crate on the back of my bike and fill it with stuff but for the life of me am not really certain how I get on the bike when it is loaded with stuff- I just do. I do admit to sometimes doing the over the h-bars method. I think I just do a good kick up and over but I'll check next time. The memory of how I do it seems stored in my body and not in my mind, I guess.

So funny that I seldom think about it.
Old 01-11-10, 09:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I always just lift my leg over the top tube when I captain our tandem. Not difficult to master.
Old 01-11-10, 10:18 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I couldn't swing my leg well over the seat to get on I'd assume it's a hint that the bike is waaaaaay too big for me.
Old 01-14-10, 01:10 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I always just lift my leg over the top tube when I captain our tandem. Not difficult to master.
I find that this works better when I lean the bike a bit away from me ... not enough to spill the basket, and not as much as I would need to get my leg over the seat and basket
Old 01-15-10, 09:11 AM
audi666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tilt the bike and swing your leg over TT.. you can also stand on a curb to help.
Old 01-15-10, 09:56 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't. Get your leg over the top tube instead. The crate is behind where you need to be.
Old 01-15-10, 01:43 PM
TheLifeOfBryan
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sci_femme
Yeah, YOU try riding in those things! I don't think they're standard SPD...
Old 01-15-10, 02:12 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Seems that no one has supplied the obvious answer.

Put the milk crate on a mixte frame or a recumbent.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-15-10, 02:42 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Seems that no one has supplied the obvious answer.

Put the milk crate on a mixte frame or a recumbent.
Post #7 paragraph 3...
Old 01-15-10, 03:30 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeken
I've thought about mounting it like a horse, where I step onto one pedal first and then, as the bike's going a little bit, swing my leg over...but then, how the heck do I dismount?
The same way. Keep left leg on pedal, as it comes over the top and heads down, take your right leg and just swing it around the back over the crate. meanwhile your left foot has reached the bottom and you can support your weight with it while you finish the manuever by bringing your right leg along the frame and down. Works whether you use clipless pedals or platform pedals. (watch youtube videos of cyclocross dismounts if my explanation makes no sense).
Old 01-15-10, 10:54 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've wondered this my self a few times.
But then again, i use panniers so i never run into this unless i have both filled and something large strapped across the back.

When i do have something large on the back (depending on the weight) I swing my leg way over the saddle, over the handle bars, or over the top tube.

And to the OP: I recommend on just picking up the cheapest panniers that could work for you when they go on sale at nashbar. If you move the weight that your hauling farther down and balanced it is a much more pleasurable experience.
Old 08-05-19, 08:32 PM
anon298r5qy0nc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard to see what some of you guys are saying without pictures So forgive me if I'm repeating what has already been shared.

My milk crate bike mounting/dismounting technique. If you know the trick of mounting your bike straightaway by stepping down on one pedal and then throwing the other leg over, then you're 90% there. It's the same trick, except the 2nd leg goes over the top tube instead of the back wheel. To do this, you need some flexibility because you need to create space between your 1st leg (standing on the pedal) and the bike frame for your 2nd leg to pass through and go over the top tube. This can be done even on a top tube that is level with your inseam because your 1st leg is standing on the pedal which elevates your inseam above the top tube by several inches (5 inches on my bike). Actually this number is low because I typically throw my 2nd leg over when the pedal is between 2-3 o-clock which means my inseam is even higher above the top tube. At the point where I throw the 2nd leg over, I estimate my knees are practically level with the top tube, meaning the 2nd leg kind of just steps over the top tube. Ah, rereading this makes me realize I should just post some pictures instead.