Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb 40 or 70 liters?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ortlieb 40 or 70 liters?

Old 08-12-19, 09:46 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That is a heavy rack. I did my first couple tours with Surly racks. Then I bought a Tubus Ergo for the front and Tubus Logo EVO for the rear for touring.

The Surly front rack I decided was just too heavy. The Ergo was a lighter weight low rider.

I now have three touring bikes, I now have different front racks for each, but none are as big and heavy as the Surly front rack. On one of my touring bikes I also have a tiny little Aluminum platform rack mounted on the cantilever brake posts. But I only use the platform for a water bottle or two.

I still use the Surly rear rack for around town use when at home, I like the large platform for around town use. But for touring I am more interested in a lighter weight rack that was really built solely for panniers, the Logo EVO fits that definition perfectly.
I have Tubus rack on the back, and was after the top platform on the Surly rack when I ordered it. It is extremely heavy and I am worried about that. Tubus makes a Grand Expedition rack that is similar, but it's difficult to find and I wasn't aware of it prior to ordering. It is much lighter than the Surly rack. I am still questionable about the rack and I haven't locked tight it down yet in the event I still do want to return it. It's freakin' HUGE...but now that its on the bike, I am having a tough time "not" wanting that top rack that is on it. I know there is other configurations I can do like the Surly 8 Pack with a TV rack, or a 24 pack, which I still haven't ruled out. I am not sure what to do about it yet.
Old 08-12-19, 01:37 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It's really big too.

I hate it and love it without riding on it, so I don't know what to think. I have to make a final decision now though because once I start putting thread lock on the threads and messing with it more, I can't return it because it doesn't meet the requirements of "new" condition for resale. To be honest, I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to get it back to the seller anyway. I think I am kind of committed at this point anyway, and I can try to resell them later hopefully for a descent cost. I don't often see good steel racks available "used" for sale, otherwise I would of grabbed them myself, so I put stock into that hoping the resale value would hold if I need to change out to a lighter Tubus. I want the top rack more than I actually want the side racks quite frankly. That can be fixed with a 8 pack or 24 pack rack, but then I don't want to be caught somewhere down the road where I might think, "Oh, I really want to throw panniers on the front. The panniers I can get anywhere at an LBS at brick and mortar places if I need to, but the rack I can't, and it makes it especially harder without a permanent address to ship to. So I would have to plan ahead, with general mail box offices of where I am going to be ahead of time, rely on no mistakes, limited work shop space and tools if something goes wrong, bla, bla, bla... all my decisions were made with redundancy and versatility the best I can with my own touches on things.

I also never ridden with fenders, and if I stay local, I can take them off during the dry season which is majority of the time until we get snow again or next spring during mud season. With fenders and the Surly rack though, it looks like a tank. It's also my first steel bike as I have been on aluminum for years. And it's my first 29er on a very heavy Velocity Cliffhanger wheel build. The wheels aren't even on it and I am nervous about weight. But I guess that's the beauty of a 29'er...I can just roll over anything when momentum, weight, and nothing to lose stands in your way