Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New U-Lock with angle-grinder defense

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New U-Lock with angle-grinder defense

Old 08-09-19, 11:13 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
My question is, what do you do if you ever lose the key?
Find a friend with a 6" angle grinder.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-09-19, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I am so glad I do not live in a city and have to contend with this sort of thing.

The purpose of the outer layer is to keep the grinder wheel from being able to reach the steel part. A larger diameter grinder will have more reach to the wheel that would allow the wheel to reach the steel core and defeat the lock. Grinders larger than 5" are also pretty bulky things so a thief is more likely to move on to another bike.

Take a look at their video, it locks around what look like standard bike racks. The lock is on an entire different scale from standard bike locks...
The video and the photos all show one specific type of rack, and always locked around the top tube from above (not side to side). I'm thinking they chose the rack and the size of bike for a specific reason (it doesn't look suited to other types, IMO). At best, this is a very small niche for the product.

Obviously, this lock does nothing to secure either wheel. I don't think there's any getting around that leaving expensive bikes unattended outside is always going to be risky no matter what you lock them with.
Old 08-09-19, 12:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I still think SkunkLock was on the right track. Until then:

Likes For tcs:
Old 08-09-19, 12:32 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I'm amused by the whole culture of lock and lock defeating fetishism.
Old 08-09-19, 12:34 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I suppose either a lifestyle or geographical area I’m obviously not accustomed to, but where in the heck would one be leaving their bike that would warrant a lock such as that?!?

Last edited by one4smoke; 08-09-19 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 08-09-19, 12:41 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Take a look at their video, it locks around what look like standard bike racks. The lock is on an entire different scale from standard bike locks...
im aware that the inner size is standard, but that severely limits it already, then it’s size makes it impossible to protect your wheels or even a wheel. But just think for a second, for a bike thief who saw this lock everyday permanently installed on the same rack, for a bike they wanted. They could just take the angle grinder to the rack itself. The bike would be 13lbs heavier but they could still get away nearly as quickly and then have plenty of time later to cut through the lock. Or they could cut the rack when the bike isn’t there and get rid of the lock. Would the bike owner spend another 300 bucks to replace it? Any lock that’s designed to be ‘left locked to a rack’ is a bad design, especially that big. If you can’t take it with you, it’s pointless. A thief could badly damage it when your bike isn’t there and even if not technically ‘broken’, what owner would want to keep using it? Force the bike owner to switch to a lock that can be cut through. You don’t need to be a thief to understand this is incredibly bad design, you only need to use a few moments of common sense.
Likes For seamuis:
Old 08-09-19, 01:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I suppose either a lifestyle or geographical area I’m obviously not accustomed to, but where in the heck would one be leaving their bike that would warrant a lock such as that?!?
Yeah. I lock my bike outside my office in downtown Philly when I commute. Not really concerned in the least about some angle grinder-wielding bike thief showering sparks as hundreds of people walk by every few minutes. It's more the nuisance stuff you have to guard against. Accidentally left my saddle bag on one day. Someone pinched that. The oddest thing I had stolen was the QR skewer for my seatpost. They didn't take the post and seat, just the QR. Walked to a LBS a few blocks away and got a new one.

The only place I had a bike stolen is from inside my house, while the GF and I were home and awake.
Old 08-09-19, 02:35 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Any lock that’s designed to be ‘left locked to a rack’ is a bad design, especially that big. If you can’t take it with you, it’s pointless.
The major flaw in this design, unless it comes with a backpack or trailer to carry it around with.
Old 08-09-19, 02:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The only place I had a bike stolen is from inside my house, while the GF and I were home and awake.
Do they make this kind of lock for girlfriends so they don't get stolen?
Old 08-09-19, 03:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
If someone was taking up a scarce bike rack just to store one of these, I might be tempted to mess with it out of spite. Wouldn't do it, but super glue would be an obvious choice.
Old 08-09-19, 03:59 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

You should see the size of the chain that goes with it.
Old 08-09-19, 05:48 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Thief would just cut the top tube, take bike and strip it.......toss the frame with the serial number.
Old 08-10-19, 09:00 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What brand/model of U-lock do you have?
Smith and Locke

Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 08-10-19, 09:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
And the Altor Lock.

One might wonder how many people would try to break it just because it looks like a joke.

Have to build a rack just to carry that lock!!

Last edited by CliffordK; 08-10-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-10-19, 10:48 AM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
i work as a auto body tech. i use cut off wheels every day at work.
in theory the lock sounds like it will work, in my opinion it would be easily defeated.
they make cut off wheels that are designed to cut thru dual compound alloys like this. also in the video they try to cut thru the center bar of the lock. looking at a cut away of the lock all you would have to do is cut thru the bottom of the tube where it joins to the lower lock area on both sides of the U and you remove the lock. in this area there is only a 1/4" thick pin. cut 1/2 way thru the lock in this area and the lock falls off.
if they really wanted to make a tough lock they should use the new ultra ultra high strength steel they are now using on cars. a regular cut off wheel won't touch it. you have to use a special diamond infused cut off wheel to cut it. or better yet use a hard alloy with rotating pins inside of them. if the pins rotate it's almost impossible to cut thru them no matter what you use other that a oxy/acc torch, AKA flaming wrench.
as others have posted any lock no matter how strong it may be is a just a small deterrent. just cut the tube of the bike that the lock secures then part it out. and scrap the frame. i am not a bike thief but in my opinion if someone is walking around with a battery powered cut off wheel. most likely they have a support transportation near by to haul it away instead of riding it away..
Old 08-10-19, 11:50 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Here's an idea. Make the U part hollow and fill it with pink or purple paint under high pressure like a rattle can. Once a grinder breaks through paint starts squirting everywhere covering the thief (and probably your bike too) with paint. Even if they take your bike at least you'd get some satisfaction they'd be scrubbing themselves for a few hours.
Old 08-10-19, 12:11 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
If you need a lock like that; you need a realtor.
Old 08-12-19, 08:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
Here's an idea. Make the U part hollow and fill it with pink or purple paint under high pressure like a rattle can. Once a grinder breaks through paint starts squirting everywhere covering the thief (and probably your bike too) with paint. Even if they take your bike at least you'd get some satisfaction they'd be scrubbing themselves for a few hours.
They already did that using either pepper spray or some kind of very stinky chemical. Google Skunk Lock.
Old 08-12-19, 11:18 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I use a TiGr but wouldn't be avers to some sort of ... let's call it a deterrent agent dispersal system. Something that's easy to wash off a bike but not so much clothing or skin. Skunk Spray coupled with a very visible marking dye so that it would be obvious that an attempt was made?
Old 08-13-19, 09:06 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
If the thief knew how much the lock cost they'd cut the bike and steal the lock
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 08-13-19, 06:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
For lock-and-leave usage, my "grocery" bike needs no "lightweight" or "competition" pretensions, so just about any Goodwill-sourced $60 bike will do (adding in the effort/cost of tuning it up and outfitting with an accessory or two).

I guess then that it is perhaps fashion-conscious riders of newer/better bikes that might need extra protection, not that someone won't someday try to steal my locked-up old Supersport that looks like it has spent much of it's 50 years in the city.

A ten to fifteen-years-old lightweight carbon bike can be bought for around $600 and is light enough to be carried around after the ride is over. I've seen riders who remove the wheels and put their bike in a shopping cart while making purchases at WalMart, and for that matter I have wheeled my road bike through a less-crowded store (where parking the bike isn't usually allowed). Some markets allow a bike to be stowed in an unused checkstand aisle during low-traffic hours (I've been invited to do this).

What burns me up is employers who won't provide any safe place for a commuting employee to park their bike, even when there is plenty of space inside where the bike won't get in the way.
And the excuse that "insurance" won't allow a bike inside of a building, should be a law against that!

Last edited by dddd; 08-13-19 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 06:28 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
If the thief knew how much the lock cost they'd cut the bike and steal the lock
Old 08-16-19, 12:24 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Nice solution!

Yes, I'm curious as well. However, given the NY Fahgettaboudit is 18mm, the difference is 1mm. And a powerful angle grinder will get through both sides in short order, unfortunately. I think you're over-confident in your lock's ability to withstand attack.

I'm very interested in seeing this project be a success. I've customized U-locks over the years to improve their security. Here's one attempt:

(Krypt Rock Lock Mini LS with custom multi-fit "Bad Bones" with pipe sleeves to discourage attack.)

So given my security obsession, I'm willing to put up some cash and take some risk. However, given that they're only at 5% of the money needed to proceed, it looks like it's going to fail. Given that, I'm gonna hold off. But if things look rosier, I will go for it.

I encourage anyone here as fanatic about locks as I am to consider taking the risk too. Might be pretty damn cool to own a massive, one-off piece of future bicycle security history!

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 08-16-19 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 08-16-19, 12:37 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Originally Posted by canklecat
At that weight and price it'd make better sense to just keep buying decent used bikes for under $200, any good U-lock and replace it as needed.

If I lived in an area where bike theft was that much a problem I wouldn't get too attached to a commuter bike.

I've lived and commuted on a nice commuter bike for decades without theft. (I also tried the "ride a crappy commuter bike" approach and HATED it! I ride for utility AND pleasure, so riding junk is a non-starter.) I don't think it has to come down to the simple "either/or" scenario you describe. Or the other poster who said, "If you need a lock like this, see a realtor instead." Sure, you COULD move, but really? THAT is your approach to challenge? Leave? I live in the SF Bay Area East Bay where crime and bike theft are epidemic. I've had one bike stolen and that was because I was using seriously inferior security at the time. But since then, I've always tried to stay ahead of the problem and informed about bike theft. I lock bikes in my locked garage. There is no bike "too nice for a lock." If you own nice bikes, you should own nice locks.

But avoiding theft is a combination of smarts and luck. And don't think I don't realize I've benefited from some luck over the years. Utilize a quality lock and use it properly and you greatly reduce your risk of theft. It's the lazy person who doesn't take an extra few seconds or spends a few extra bucks that has their bike stolen (usually). I mean cable locks? Really?!!!

But thieves are opportunists and lazy. They'll go for the easy pickings. So if your lock is the biggest in the bike rack, thieves will go for the other bikes.

I feel the SAF Lock is a really creative solution to the current state of affairs as far as angle grinders go.

And to the poster who mentioned one of the high-strength steels used in the auto industry, I highly doubt the industry lock designers and engineers are ignorant about these materials. The question is can they be utilized in this application with an acceptable cost/benefit ratio. If it was such a superior material against grinder attack, it would already be on the market.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 08-16-19, 12:48 PM
LV2TNDM

Originally Posted by seamuis
im aware that the inner size is standard, but that severely limits it already, then it’s size makes it impossible to protect your wheels or even a wheel. But just think for a second, for a bike thief who saw this lock everyday permanently installed on the same rack, for a bike they wanted. They could just take the angle grinder to the rack itself. The bike would be 13lbs heavier but they could still get away nearly as quickly and then have plenty of time later to cut through the lock. Or they could cut the rack when the bike isn’t there and get rid of the lock. Would the bike owner spend another 300 bucks to replace it? Any lock that’s designed to be ‘left locked to a rack’ is a bad design, especially that big. If you can’t take it with you, it’s pointless. A thief could badly damage it when your bike isn’t there and even if not technically ‘broken’, what owner would want to keep using it? Force the bike owner to switch to a lock that can be cut through. You don’t need to be a thief to understand this is incredibly bad design, you only need to use a few moments of common sense.
Not really. High security ulocks and chains are already too heavy to carry regularly - for most people. I'm happy carrying my NY Fahgettaboudit on my rear rack, but most people won't be willing to carry a six pound lock everywhere. And a ten pound, five foot chain and disk lock? Nope, they leave it at their regular locking destinations. Use the big lock where you lock regularly and for long(er) periods of time. Use the mini ulock for the quick cafe stop. It's pretty straightforward.

Yes, the weak link then becomes the bike rack or the frame. This isn't new news. But having the biggest lock means most thieves will go to easier pickings. It doesn't matter when you're stealing $500 to $1,000 bikes; they're all either getting chopped up and parted out or sold on the corner for $50 anyway. It's when you get to the $12k bikes that you have to worry. These will indeed be resold whole on CraigsList. We can all do our part by NOT buying that "really, REALLY good deal" on Craigslist. Tell sellers you only buy legitimate used bikes with original receipts. We perpetuate bike theft by trolling the used ads and giving thieves our cash.