Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island Tour Tips?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Vancouver Island Tour Tips?

Old 05-14-19, 11:57 AM
Matadors

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
You do have a point in a way - Lake Cowichan is something like 170 m above sea level and Port Renfrew is sea level. But you still have a mountain to climb regardless of the direction of travel

But sure, that section might be worse going clockwise, and Sooke to Port Renfrew might be a bit easier than the opposite direction.

Maybe I’ll ride this the other way to find out!

My plan is to break the Sooke to Lake Cowichan ride into two days so that the hills are spread out. Do the quick, punchy hills to Port Renfrew one day and then the long, slow slog up to Cowichan the next day. I want to savor my time on Vancouver Island....
Old 05-14-19, 02:40 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Matadors
My plan is to break the Sooke to Lake Cowichan ride into two days so that the hills are spread out. Do the quick, punchy hills to Port Renfrew one day and then the long, slow slog up to Cowichan the next day. I want to savor my time on Vancouver Island....
That sounds great!

That will give you lots of time to enjoy the scenery, stop at some great viewpoints and really take it in. You'll be riding through some really fantastic areas: make sure you stop and check out the giant spruce on your way up the mountain! It's also nice to pop into the Fairy Lake campground area, good spot to have a snack before tackling some of the long climb towards Lake Cowichan.
Old 05-15-19, 03:59 PM
Matadors

Originally Posted by winston63
That sounds great!

That will give you lots of time to enjoy the scenery, stop at some great viewpoints and really take it in. You'll be riding through some really fantastic areas: make sure you stop and check out the giant spruce on your way up the mountain! It's also nice to pop into the Fairy Lake campground area, good spot to have a snack before tackling some of the long climb towards Lake Cowichan.
Excellent advice.

I will post photos when I return.
Old 08-17-19, 07:10 PM
Matadors

The Galloping Goose Trail was amazing! We rode it from Victoria to Sooke, almost 30 miles of paved and crushed gravel trail. There were a few places where it was obvious a trestle had been removed because it was an 18 percent drop and immediate climb out the other side. That was a little challenging fully loaded! But other than crossing roads, we never had to worry about traffic. We stayed at the Sooke River Campground which was nothing spectacular but walking distance from town.

Unfortunately my riding partner had saddle sore issues and we had to take an extra rest day at Sooke, so we turned around and headed back to Victoria to catch Amtrak in Seattle. The Goldstream Provincial Park was a gorgeous campground close enough to Victoria to get up early and catch the ferry back to Port Angeles.

Next summer we plan to do the full loop...
Likes For Matadors:
Old 08-17-19, 07:12 PM
Matadors

The most level tent sites I have ever seen. Goldstream Provincial Park, BC.
Likes For Matadors:
Old 08-18-19, 06:13 PM
Matadors

The Olympic Discovery Trail was also a treat! Some sections were a little hard to find, but it was a great way to stay off 101.
Likes For Matadors:
Old 08-20-19, 09:43 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks for the photos - it looks like you got fantastic weather for the trip!

Too bad you couldn’t complete the loop this time, but you’ve got a good sense of the area for next year. And I agree, I love both the Galloping Goose and the Olympic Discovery Trail.

Hope you can make it work next year!
Old 08-22-19, 01:33 PM
Matadors

The weather on Vancouver Island was amazing! Never hot or cold, no rain. Could not have asked for better.

We did get rained on at 2:30 AM in Sequim. Everything was wet when we packed up, but it dried quickly when we unpacked that evening in Poulsbo.
Old 08-22-19, 01:37 PM
Matadors

Port Gamble