Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking noise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 07:46 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Clicking noise

Hi. I own a 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport which I bought NOS earlier this year. It uses the 105 5800 11 speed 11-32t derailleurs and shifters and Praxis cranks and BB.

I’m having an issue with a sporadic clicking sound when pedaling. It doesn’t seem to be related to the gear I’m in and I just had the dealer adjust the derailleurs. They shift perfectly and there’s no chain rub.

Any thoughts on where this clicking is coming from?
Old 08-22-19, 04:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Is the noise synchronized with your pedal cadence, or wheel speed? Try swapping your pedals for a known-quiet set, preferably platform type to eliminate shoe and cleat noise. Make certain that your crank is not ticking against the front derailleur wire (this may change with front gear) or shoelace aglet.
Old 08-23-19, 08:28 AM
MSchott

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Is the noise synchronized with your pedal cadence, or wheel speed? Try swapping your pedals for a known-quiet set, preferably platform type to eliminate shoe and cleat noise. Make certain that your crank is not ticking against the front derailleur wire (this may change with front gear) or shoelace aglet.
Its not the pedals. Shimano Ultegra carbon. Shoes don’t have laces. I’ll look at the derailleur wire. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-23-19, 08:37 AM
kfried

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I recently had a clicking sound, and it came at the same point in the revolution and only under power. That is, if I just let my pedal go around without applying down force, no click. On the advice of several other threads, I took my pedals off, degreased them and then regreased them. Clicking noise solved.

I know you've said it's not the pedals, but it's an easy process just to be sure.
Old 08-23-19, 08:52 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I'll guess pedals.
Old 08-23-19, 09:10 AM
MSchott

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
I'll guess pedals.
Cant hurt to try this. I’ll do as above.
Old 08-23-19, 09:14 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Might be the seat post hitting the inside of the seat tube or the seat rails moving slightly in the seat clamp. I've never had either but have seen it them as issues on this forum in the past. Good luck finding the source of the noise
Old 05-03-20, 10:56 AM
sanman57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new Sirrus carbon and crank noise.

I have this clicking noise, left side crank at 5pm. I feel the vibration up the seat post so I am relatively sure its the crank. I will TRY to play with the pedals but I am pretty sure the CRANK has a bad bearing race. At 5pm on left side of bike. This is a new bike, barely any miles on it. I bought in SanDiego store, can I get this fixed at any Specialized shop? Im in Dana Point, SD long way. They had my color. Bright blue. Can I cause further damage by riding it? Like the other descriptions, noise and thumping only under hard torque. I do NOT feel this in the pedal, just up the seat post. Has to be the crank cassette. Love the bike. Thanks, Mark
Old 05-03-20, 09:58 PM
shine2000

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grease the quick release skewers is one of many solutions
Old 05-04-20, 04:40 PM
Dwillems26

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
I recently had a clicking sound, and it came at the same point in the revolution and only under power. That is, if I just let my pedal go around without applying down force, no click. On the advice of several other threads, I took my pedals off, degreased them and then regreased them. Clicking noise solved.

I know you've said it's not the pedals, but it's an easy process just to be sure.
This happened to me, but was from a worn BB. As I applied pressure it tilted the crank and gears, in turn giving it just enough movement to cause chain rub in those moments.
Old 05-04-20, 04:56 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
When I hear a clicking, my routine is to stand up and pedal to see if it's coming from the seat area. If the noise continues, I will check/tighten both quick releases. Next, I will take the pedals off a put a little lube/grease on the spindles and put them back on. If it was the seat area, I will pull the seat off, seat tube and all, clean everything, lube the seat rails, and the seat collar. Usually one of these steps will fix a "clicking."