Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something you need to understand

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Something you need to understand

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 12:55 PM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
When I was working my employer had us on standby every other weekend, but they had to pay us half of our hourly pay for each hour on standby. We had 1 hour response time to report to work if called and then drew time and a half. It limited what you could do on standby week-end, so I mostly worked around the house, but it was easy money. This was for Department of Defense related specialized work.
Old 08-24-19, 08:31 AM
drobotnik

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recumbulator

Way back when I knew a pro who was a jerk. He did an interview with a local recumbent rider he dubbed “the recumbulator” and posted the video on his friend’s vlog. We thought it was soooooo funny. Then I showed my now-wife the video and she disagreed wholeheartedly.

“That guy’s cool. He doesn’t give a **** what anyone thinks and he’s having fun.”

For me, when I see a recumbent rider, I still think Recumbulator, but as a title of honor. The position is better for your back, more efficient, faster, and you can carry tons of stuff farther. The more people on bikes and trikes the better, don’t let anyone get you down and ride on, Recumbulator!
Old 08-31-19, 06:21 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I get where the OP us coming from. It is an odd cultural thing. The trendy thing right now is getting a racing bike, clothing, shoes, and a computer....go out and ride fast. Is it the Lance effect?. Maybe the Bobke effect, as we can watch the grand tours on tv now. And to some extent these people annoy me.🤣

There are the Rivendellians with more upright bars and fat tires. I'd really like to see this faction of cycling become really popular. Its sorta the way I started riding back in the day. Your bike was your way of getting around. Functional, fun, practical.

I also see the Dutchie-fiets, young anti-car bunch with the bathtub on wheels.

I'm an odd one. I ride bike boom era bikes and wear vintage jerseys to rekindle the vibe of the '70's. I like to jump in with the racer crowd and hold a wheel till my heart maxes out or my legs cramp up.

And you got your laid back recumbent riders, like the OP.

Its all good!
Old 09-02-19, 10:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by drobotnik
Way back when I knew a pro who was a jerk. He did an interview with a local recumbent rider he dubbed “the recumbulator” and posted the video on his friend’s vlog. We thought it was soooooo funny. Then I showed my now-wife the video and she disagreed wholeheartedly.

“That guy’s cool. He doesn’t give a **** what anyone thinks and he’s having fun.”

For me, when I see a recumbent rider, I still think Recumbulator, but as a title of honor. The position is better for your back, more efficient, faster, and you can carry tons of stuff farther. The more people on bikes and trikes the better, don’t let anyone get you down and ride on, Recumbulator!
The name recumbulator is a new one. It doesnt bother me at all.

OTOH I have a T-shirt that says Trike Pilot, which is what I mainly ride around town. I do however switch to my recumbent bike for at least one ride a week. At 81 I think it is a good thing for an old guy to do to keep his balancing abilities sharp.
Old 09-02-19, 10:43 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I get where the OP us coming from. It is an odd cultural thing. The trendy thing right now is getting a racing bike, clothing, shoes, and a computer....go out and ride fast. Is it the Lance effect?. Maybe the Bobke effect, as we can watch the grand tours on tv now. And to some extent these people annoy me.��

There are the Rivendellians with more upright bars and fat tires. I'd really like to see this faction of cycling become really popular. Its sorta the way I started riding back in the day. Your bike was your way of getting around. Functional, fun, practical.

I'm an odd one. I ride bike boom era bikes and wear vintage jerseys to rekindle the vibe of the '70's. I like to jump in with the racer crowd and hold a wheel till my heart maxes out or my legs cramp up.

Its all good!
I ride in a city, and my favorite thing is seeing all the different types of people on bikes.

There's the rich white roadies with S-Works (that seems to be the most popular disposable-cash brand here- are Cervelos not cool for rich guys anymore?) Tarmacs, young roadies with Allezes, commuters of every type with RadPower e-bikes, younger bohemian types with all types of vintage frames from old clunker Peugeots to pristinely-taken-care of Bridgestones and Miyatas, old dudes with custom steel frames or gorgeous vintage road bikes, a huge amount of people with commuter/cargo bikes going to-or-from somewhere, and a massive fleet of every type of person on rental e-bikes.

Anyone who thinks cycling is only rich and white is only seeing the $10k bike roadies. I don't even hate those guys anymore, as far as I'm concerned, god bless them for keeping bike shops afloat by blowing their mid-life crisis money on a racing frame and Di2 shifting, rather than a Tesla or Corvette.

All bike riders are cool. Except the tri-guys who think the big ring and full aero position on the MUP is a good idea, but those are only 1/3 bike riders.

Last edited by sheddle; 09-02-19 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 11:05 AM
sheddle

Originally Posted by rydabent
Your post is what is wrong with most young people today. I was happy to have the job, the money was good, and on any call out I automatically got 4 hours pay even if it only took 10 minutes to fix the machine. I worked there 47 years, get a great retirement check and great health insurance.
Every young person I know (including me) would kill for those things. What we actually have is zero OT compensation for salaried employees, bad health insurance options*, no pension, and poor retirement options, unless you're in one of the last remaining unionized industries.

I think people sometimes fail to get exactly how weak labor has gotten in this country since PATCO.

*I had two options at my last job. One had a massive deductible. The other one was one of those great "you're fine unless you have to be hospitalized in which case you're on your own for paying that $50k bill" plans. I took the latter because my medication (a generic drug that should cost next to nothing to make) would otherwise have cost me about $1000 a month.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-02-19, 02:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
I ride in a city, and my favorite thing is seeing all the different types of people on bikes.

There's the rich white roadies with S-Works (that seems to be the most popular disposable-cash brand here- are Cervelos not cool for rich guys anymore?) Tarmacs, young roadies with Allezes, commuters of every type with RadPower e-bikes, younger bohemian types with all types of vintage frames from old clunker Peugeots to pristinely-taken-care of Bridgestones and Miyatas, old dudes with custom steel frames or gorgeous vintage road bikes, a huge amount of people with commuter/cargo bikes going to-or-from somewhere, and a massive fleet of every type of person on rental e-bikes.
Would you care to name this city where you ride can amongst a huge amount of people with commuter/cargo bikes going to-or-from somewhere, and a massive fleet of every type of person on rental e-bikes, as well as a collection of rich white roadies, young roadies, commuters of every type, younger bohemian types, and old dudes with custom steel frames or gorgeous vintage road bikes?
Old 09-02-19, 02:13 PM
Gorrister

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Would you care to name this city where you ride can amongst a huge amount of people with commuter/cargo bikes going to-or-from somewhere, and a massive fleet of every type of person on rental e-bikes, as well as a collection of rich white roadies, young roadies, commuters of every type, younger bohemian types, and old dudes with custom steel frames or gorgeous vintage road bikes?
You could probably catch all of that if you rode the entirety of the five boroughs of New York
Old 09-02-19, 06:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Gorrister
You could probably catch all of that if you rode the entirety of the five boroughs of New York
Maybe so if you have a very liberal definition for a "huge" number of people commuting by bicycle, or "massive fleet of every type of person on rental e-bikes" especially when considering percentage of the population for the entirety of the five boroughs of NYC.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-02-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 06:59 PM
Gorrister

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Maybe so if you have a very liberal definition for a "huge" number of people commuting by bicycle, or "massive fleet of every type of person on rental e-bikes" especially when considering percentage of the population for the entirety of the five boroughs of NYC.
I mean, those are obviously superlatives. I’m indulging op. Maybe he lives in Amsterdam or something
Old 09-02-19, 08:23 PM
sheddle

I mean, those are obviously superlatives. I’m indulging op. Maybe he lives in Amsterdam or something
seattle (one of the busiest bits of it) and yeah, i'm using a bit of poetic license, though the one bit i wasn't exaggerating on was the rental ebikes. those things are all over the place.
Old 09-03-19, 08:13 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
24/7/365 establishments and utility companies generally have three shifts.
I was on call 24/7/365 when I worked at a TV station (broadcast engineer) It was rare to be called in after my shift. In 4 years I might have been called in twice.
Old 09-03-19, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I get where the OP us coming from. It is an odd cultural thing. The trendy thing right now is getting a racing bike, clothing, shoes, and a computer....go out and ride fast. Is it the Lance effect?. Maybe the Bobke effect, as we can watch the grand tours on tv now. And to some extent these people annoy me.🤣

Its all good!
Stereotype much? BTW...Getting a road bike, etc,, and riding fast is not the latest fad. Hell. I have been doing that since the 80s and have had plenty of company from the start. Also, very few people getting into road riding these days by computers. GPS devices are far more the norm. If anything is a trend it's "gravel grinding."

Into which of your buckets does the century-riding recumbent person fall? On Sunday I drive SAG for our club's annual ride to Brooklyn. Of the 45 or so people, two rode recumbents nearly 100 miles with over 4,000' of climbing.

And into which bucket do I fall? I have a super fine, custom, ti road bike with a computer. (I am a rebel that way.) I also do several fully-loaded tours every year. And I often commute, shop, etc., using a bike. My 37 month old vehicle just went over 8,200 miles, but I don't have a "bathtub on wheels."

P.S. You left out "hipsters on fixies."
Old 09-03-19, 09:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you want to see a great span of bikes, volunteer to run a sag stop for your bike club. I have sagged for countless rides my club has put on. You will see everything from really humble clunkers up to $15,000 plastic racing bikes. It really is fun and interesting what you will see.
Old 09-03-19, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Yeah. I was in Brooklyn and Manhattan on Saturday and back in Brooklyn again on Sunday. Saw hundreds of cyclists running the gamut during the relatively short time I was there.
Old 09-03-19, 11:13 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
seattle (one of the busiest bits of it) and yeah, i'm using a bit of poetic license, though the one bit i wasn't exaggerating on was the rental ebikes. those things are all over the place.
Sounds like Washington, DC when I was there on vacation this spring. I wasn't too surprised by the commuters and rental bikes, but it was interesting to see a good number of roadies and vintage bikes around.
Old 09-03-19, 12:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Yes "a bit" of poetic license.

Are those rental ebikes that "are all over the place", in use by riders all over the place, or all over the place as in mostly scattered around on the sidewalks wherever the last rider left it, and laying about all over various public and private places as just so much litter waiting for a recycler, a trashman or the rental ebike firms to go bust, or a combination of all?
Old 09-03-19, 12:51 PM
indyfabz

Philly has eBike bikes among its bike share bikes, but they are not dockless, so they don't get left all over the place because the user will get charged. No pun intended.
Old 09-03-19, 12:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Stereotype much? BTW...Getting a road bike, etc,, and riding fast is not the latest fad. Hell. I have been doing that since the 80s and have had plenty of company from the start. Also, very few people getting into road riding these days by computers. GPS devices are far more the norm. If anything is a trend it's "gravel grinding."

Into which of your buckets does the century-riding recumbent person fall? On Sunday I drive SAG for our club's annual ride to Brooklyn. Of the 45 or so people, two rode recumbents nearly 100 miles with over 4,000' of climbing.

And into which bucket do I fall? I have a super fine, custom, ti road bike with a computer. (I am a rebel that way.) I also do several fully-loaded tours every year. And I often commute, shop, etc., using a bike. My 37 month old vehicle just went over 8,200 miles, but I don't have a "bathtub on wheels."

P.S. You left out "hipsters on fixies."
How about "brokers on Bromptons"? I don't know if that's a thing, but it sounds good!
Old 09-03-19, 01:24 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How about "brokers on Bromptons"? I don't know if that's a thing, but it sounds good!
I have a Bike Friday. Maybe "Frippies on Fridays"?
Old 09-03-19, 09:15 PM
sheddle

Originally Posted by livedarklions
hell yeah it does, I'll put that one in the dictionary
Old 09-03-19, 11:11 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I was out this morning on my old Peugeot, just cruising along and a homeless type pushing a loaded shopping cart, waved and said "Good morning". I was so shocked that I didn't have a wave or reply ready...

It's not always about you.
It is always about me.

I ride a full suspension electric tandem, dressed like a cruiser. It's so eye-catching it steals attention from newborn babies, Ferraris and puppies. But that's my business. Keep to your side of the path and mind your own, i'm not a public conversation donor, i have my day to get on with. Do i know you? No, that's what i thought. Tramps.
Old 09-04-19, 09:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Somehow I picture rental e-bikes "all over the place" resembling the phenomena of rental e-scooters "all over the place." Is that what "all over the place" looks like in the OP's Seattle?

"Hundreds are scattered around the sidewalks, clustered in newly painted corrals on the street and piled up in the gutters. In early July, one corner alone had 37. In the area around Mission Beach, one of the city’s main beaches, a single side of one block had 70. Most sat unused."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/t...-scooters.html
Old 09-04-19, 10:06 AM
sheddle

Somehow I picture rental e-bikes "all over the place" resembling the phenomena of rental e-scooters "all over the place." Is that what "all over the place" looks like in the OP's Seattle?

"Hundreds are scattered around the sidewalks, clustered in newly painted corrals on the street and piled up in the gutters. In early July, one corner alone had 37. In the area around Mission Beach, one of the city’s main beaches, a single side of one block had 70. Most sat unused."
It's not quite that bad though some areas like the sidewalks around the commuter rail station downtown can look close to that way near peak hour.

A significant percentage of the people I see on the roads (I'd guess, off the top of my head, 10-20%?) are riding app-rental ebikes. And that's even with helmet laws which likely would boost ridership even more if they were removed.
Old 09-04-19, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Just read that story during lunch. One shocking aspect is that the new and improved scooters one company has developed are supposed to last only 10 months on average. Talk about a disposable society.

In any event, as I note above, the Philly bike share program now has some e-bikes. But it's not a dockless system, so they don't get left all over the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.