Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snipping through a cable lock.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 01:04 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts

So I have read in many places that thieves can quickly (10 seconds) ship through a cable lock. I kinda accepted this but thought that perhaps the speed was exaggerated (like when a contractor says he will finish a project). Well, I was volunteering at our local Co-op this past weekend and had the opportunity to help a guy tune up an old bike that his brother gave him. It had a 10mm cable lock wound around the top tube - useless because the combination had been forgotten. I figured I'd give it a go and grabbed a set of cable cutters. Wow, I don't think it took me even 10 seconds! Just took quick little bites and that was it.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-21-19, 01:07 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Uh-huh, sure...that was his "brother's bike"?
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 08-22-19, 06:50 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Haven't tried it on a bike cable lock (don't intend to) but I had a good size Master padlock on my shed cut with a pair of bolt cutters. I now own the bolt cutters, as my neighbor's dog was out, started barking, and my neighbor started to come over, thinking it was one of us. When she noticed what was going on, screamed and ran back into her house. The would-be thieves ran away, dropping the bolt cutters in the process. If I ever lose the keys to my shed, I now have a "master key" which will open it! I'm a firm believer in that locks were made to keep honest people honest.
Old 08-22-19, 06:53 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Uh-huh, sure...that was his "brother's bike"?
Good one! I see where you are going.

Yep, I was sure. Had it been stolen, I wouldn't think the cable lock would have been looped around the top tube. Also, his bike was of the sort that you see as "on curb - please take" offerings.
Old 08-22-19, 08:42 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Yup, do it all the time. Regular padlocks is a snip with the bolt cutter, cables also a snip with the bolt cutters. Once in a while the bolt cutter will just flatten the cable, then we nibble through it with regular cable cutter.
Old 08-22-19, 12:56 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I did the same with the cable lock on one of my kid's bikes a few weeks ago. We forgot the combination and I used a pair of simple wire cutters to remove it. Snip, snip, snip, snip, etc. no problem.
Old 08-23-19, 01:48 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
One second. One.

There's always a couple of snipped locks at the bike racks in town. If I remember to take my hand snips, I'll do a YouTube video of a one-second snip. Literally quicker than a key.
Old 08-25-19, 04:13 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I once worked in a composite shop where we did one off experimental projects for companies such as MacDonald Douglas or Boeing in Carbon fiber. On one job we had to hand sew stiffening ribs onto a base laminate before resin infusion. The material used to do the sewing was a Spectra thread that turned out to be very difficult to snip through with ordinary scissors. The shop had to but special scissors of a hardened steel. I've often thought bike cables, which are built up in a 7x1 configuration, where the 1 number is a core over which 6 strands of Spectra encase the core. Such a cable wold be un-snipable though an angle grinder could still get through eventually.
Old 08-25-19, 10:42 AM
Stregone

Bikes: '98 Cannondale Super-v 700, '07 Specialized SX Trail III, '15 Gravity Zilla Monster Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I once worked in a composite shop where we did one off experimental projects for companies such as MacDonald Douglas or Boeing in Carbon fiber. On one job we had to hand sew stiffening ribs onto a base laminate before resin infusion. The material used to do the sewing was a Spectra thread that turned out to be very difficult to snip through with ordinary scissors. The shop had to but special scissors of a hardened steel. I've often thought bike cables, which are built up in a 7x1 configuration, where the 1 number is a core over which 6 strands of Spectra encase the core. Such a cable wold be un-snipable though an angle grinder could still get through eventually.
The problem with spectra is it has a very low melting point. It is used in high performance stunt kites and if it rubs against anything other than itself (it is also very low friction and you need to be careful how you tie knots in it) it melts like butter.
Old 08-25-19, 10:50 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I'm a firm believer in that locks were made to keep honest people honest.
+1

And hopefully to send the would-be thief onto an easier target.