Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crazy New Bike Day

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crazy New Bike Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 05:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
A little progress is made with each passing day.

Today I received this bike's "special part" from @shnibop: curved Campy Record gear levers. I traded a just-as-rare pair of curved gear levers for these. Received this afternoon and painted/installed about 30 minutes ago:

Friday I get the rear triangle straightened away, then finish cabling up the brakes and derailleurs that evening with the hopes that the following day I have a fun and uneventful Gorge test ride.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-06-19 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-06-19, 06:02 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Those levers are super cool, DD.
Old 08-06-19, 08:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I noticed this while getting the bike ready for Friday's drive down to Portland:

Here's the replacement:

@Andy Antipas sold the Michelin Select pair to me at last year's vintage ride/show at Bob Freeman's. They say 700 x 25, so I figured a little fatter rubber would be nice for the test ride, but they look more like 23s which, honestly, I like

Beautiful tires which I hope perform better than the Dynamic Classics; those things were heavy and cut waaaay too easily.

DD
Old 08-06-19, 08:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by natterberry
Those levers are super cool, DD.
Thank you - I like them, too

DD
Old 08-06-19, 08:45 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
This craigs seller has a Bianchi branded Avocet Racing saddle.

I contacted another bike seller ... about his Brooks. haha.
Old 08-06-19, 08:58 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
DD's Bianchi

Jeff,

I have been following your new bike thread. Definitely an iconic bike and it is getting the proper care and feeding it deserves.

I hope you enjoy the ride. Have fun in Portlandia with Gugie, Andy K, and the rest of BF PDX gang.

Hopefully, I can visit with you folks in the not to distant future.

Ciao,

AA
Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 08-06-19, 09:13 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
A little progress is made with each passing day.

Today I received this bike's "special part" from @shnibop: curved Campy Record gear levers. I traded a just-as-rare pair of curved gear levers for these. Received this afternoon and painted/installed about 30 minutes ago:

Friday I get the rear triangle straightened away, then finish cabling up the brakes and derailleurs that evening with the hopes that the following day I have a fun and uneventful Gorge test ride.

DD
DD, I've been lurking in this thread since you started it, but just had to chime in with my appreciation here. It's really coming out beautiful (and just the right level of "over the top-yet-functional" too). Those curved shifter levers are the icing on the cake.

Rear triangle should be easy enough to sort out, if nail-biting to watch. My only concern is why it wound up so far off from center in the first place.

While it wasn't uncommon in this era for frames to be shipped without proper alignment, shops selling bikes of this caliber usually had the knowledge and understanding to call out the frame table with a rear triangle as off as this.

I highly recommend also checking that the seattube is square with the BB, vertically. You might find yourselves cold setting more than you anticipated.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-06-19 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-07-19, 11:49 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This craigs seller has a Bianchi branded Avocet Racing saddle.

I contacted another bike seller ... about his Brooks. haha.
I think I'll keep what I have

One thing I decided from the start was to not go down either the pantographed or Celeste accessory route. Personal choice; not making a comment on those that like to match the saddle, tape, cables and water bottle to the frame paint. Although I would like to go one more step in matching up stuff by finding an appropriate dark-blue water bottle.

DD
Old 08-07-19, 11:51 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
Jeff,

I have been following your new bike thread. Definitely an iconic bike and it is getting the proper care and feeding it deserves.

I hope you enjoy the ride. Have fun in Portlandia with Gugie, Andy K, and the rest of BF PDX gang.

Hopefully, I can visit with you folks in the not to distant future.

Ciao,

AA
Thanks, Andy - we'll be thinking of you on the ride! We do miss you at the PNW rides and shows, but you must be happy as heck to be back with family on an everyday basis after so long away. We'll catch up in the future one day

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-07-19, 11:57 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888
DD, I've been lurking in this thread since you started it, but just had to chime in with my appreciation here. It's really coming out beautiful (and just the right level of "over the top-yet-functional" too). Those curved shifter levers are the icing on the cake.

Rear triangle should be easy enough to sort out, if nail-biting to watch. My only concern is why it wound up so far off from center in the first place.

While it wasn't uncommon in this era for frames to be shipped without proper alignment, shops selling bikes of this caliber usually had the knowledge and understanding to call out the frame table with a rear triangle as off as this.

I highly recommend also checking that the seattube is square with the BB, vertically. You might find yourselves cold setting more than you anticipated.

-Kurt
Thanks Kurt! I see the gear levers in the same way, which is why they get the "special component" distinction on this build. As far as alignment goes, it's a mystery to me, too. There's no obvious sign of damage or crash, so it's hard to understand why the rear end is skewed to the left, but I have no doubts @gugie will be able to put it right. I hope we don't have to tweak the seat tube!

As far as watching goes, I'll be pacing outside the door, chain-smoking; I ain't wanting to be seeing that!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-07-19, 12:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I would like to go one more step in matching up stuff by finding an appropriate dark-blue water bottle.
Maybe not in blue, but there are several really cool looking Bianchi bottles on ebay under $17. One is grey ... might look great with your grey housing.
Old 08-07-19, 06:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Maybe not in blue, but there are several really cool looking Bianchi bottles on ebay under $17. One is grey ... might look great with your grey housing.
You know me - I'm picky about the look, so in this case it's more about a particular color than Bianchi branding. Basic white will work for the time being.

I found this lovely bottle, semi-vintage (90s), on Ebay but can't tell if the blue is the correct shade - and when you're going matchy-matchy, it must match. Don't really want to spend 30 bux and find out it doesn't

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-07-19 at 08:27 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-07-19, 07:08 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm running these:

...on one of my bikes. Different sidewalls, and mine are spec'd 700x20 - measuring 22 on my rims. Same tread pattern as yours.
They were NOS in the sealed box with the bike. I have 225 miles on them and they are holding up well. They roll nicely, too. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-08-19, 09:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by BFisher
For what it's worth, I'm running these:

...on one of my bikes. Different sidewalls, and mine are spec'd 700x20 - measuring 22 on my rims. Same tread pattern as yours.
They were NOS in the sealed box with the bike. I have 225 miles on them and they are holding up well. They roll nicely, too. Good luck with yours.
The skinwall version looks good! I don't have calipers with which to measure mine accurately, but they sure don't look like 25s - and they barely look like 23s (or at least Vittoria Corsa 23s). If the tread patterns are the same, I'm assuming the rubber is also the same, so perhaps the only difference is the carcass/thread count. It's getting tougher to find good options for some sort of skin/tan wall tires. I'm excited to try these.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-10-19, 10:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I'm finally back from Portland and a visit to @gugie's Atelier along with a ride along the Gorge with @Andy_K. I have a couple bike pics and lots of scenery pics to download/edit tonight, and tomorrow I'll get definitive detail pics of the completed bike.

Just wanted to pop in here and thank both Mark and Andy for taking care of me this weekend; we got the rear triangle/rear wheel issues sorted Friday evening and Andy took me on an awesomely-scenic shakedown ride on Saturday. Thanks a million, guys!

For now, let's just say my newest acquisition handled everything thrown at it today with aplomb - and then some. Really a revelation how this bike felt over various road surfaces (some really crappy) - and its climbing manners. Ooh, I'm going to spend the rest of the summer on this baby

Teaser pics:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-10-19 at 11:10 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-10-19, 10:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Good one!

And congrats on everything working out.
Old 08-11-19, 12:13 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
I'm finally back from Portland and a visit to @gugie's Atelier along with a ride along the Gorge with @Andy_K. I have a couple bike pics and lots of scenery pics to download/edit tonight, and tomorrow I'll get definitive detail pics of the completed bike.

Just wanted to pop in here and thank both Mark and Andy for taking care of me this weekend; we got the rear triangle/rear wheel issues sorted Friday evening and Andy took me on an awesomely-scenic shakedown ride on Saturday. Thanks a million, guys!

For now, let's just say my newest acquisition handled everything thrown at it today with aplomb - and then some. Really a revelation how this bike felt over various road surfaces (some really crappy) - and its climbing manners. Ooh, I'm going to spend the rest of the summer on this baby

Teaser pics:

DD
Glad you got it all sorted, looks great and what a pair. Glad you got out to the Gorge as well.
Old 08-11-19, 06:22 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Congrats on getting the grail in tip-top shape!

It's a stunner for sure. Interested to read more details.
Old 08-11-19, 01:39 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Good one!

And congrats on everything working out.
Thanks, Bill - and I'll tell ya, I was pretty happy it worked out, too. Now I can enjoy this bike to its fullest

DD
Old 08-11-19, 01:42 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by merziac
Glad you got it all sorted, looks great and what a pair. Glad you got out to the Gorge as well.
Van, that Gorge ride is really awesome! We've got some nice rides up here in WA, but I am seriously jealous of you guys living so close to the Gorge Trail.

The bike is going to get a lot of use for the remainder of the year; it's everything and more than I expected.

DD
Old 08-11-19, 01:45 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by BFisher
Congrats on getting the grail in tip-top shape!

It's a stunner for sure. Interested to read more details.
Thank you! Only had to make one small adjustment as the saddle began to slip a bit backwards. I'd brought a few tools along so that was sorted quickly.

Hoping the weather dries a bit here so I can take the Bianchi out for some detail photos. I'll post 'em and give some ride impressions this evening.

DD
Old 08-11-19, 01:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Hoping the weather dries a bit here...
Let's ride down to Seward Park one sunday before summer ends:

https://parkways.seattle.gov/2019/01...cycle-sundays/

Might still do it today if the chance of rain drops.
Old 08-11-19, 02:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Let's ride down to Seward Park one sunday before summer ends:

https://parkways.seattle.gov/2019/01...cycle-sundays/

Might still do it today if the chance of rain drops.
Heh - I was just down that way last Sunday:

Sure, I'd be up for another run - maybe plan on the 18th?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-11-19, 07:04 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

From today's short 25 mile local ride:

I took a bunch of pics of the bike in Redmond. I'll upload them here a little later tonight, and include riding impressions with the final write-up.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-11-19, 07:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
...we got the rear triangle/rear wheel issues sorted Friday evening and Andy took me on an awesomely-scenic shakedown ride on Saturday.
The pics say everything...but some of us are waiting with baited breath to hear about what was up with the rear triangle.

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.