Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 10-speed Veloce chain with IRD Snap-link III link?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 12:14 AM
aerodynamic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would really love to avoid all the scary hassle of installing campy's weird little pin system on my new 10-speed drivetrain, especially since I've only got a Park CT-3 and not campy's special chain-tool. To that end I procured IRD's snap-link III master-quick-link thingamabob but it states that its:

"Campy Compatable
(5.9mm/pre-2006)
and IRD-1000
Compatable"

So:

Can I use this link on my chain? I'd dearly love to not only avoid the possibility of wrecking a hugely expensive chain, but would like to gain the ability to open my chain in the field by hand if needs be. The chain itself is clearly marked as 5.9mm and the booklet with it is copyright 2009. The link itself consists of two separate outer plates, like here: https://store.interlocracing.com/10snli.html

If I can, then I have a follow-up question. The campy chain I have has one inner-plate end and one outer-plate end (the one with the scary "don't screw with this link" warning tag on it). Should the procedure be to screw with the scary-don't-screw-with-me outer link to remove it so I can install the IRD link?

(Thanks so much to Campy for changing their system out a few years back and confusing everybody and to IRD for not being exceptionally clear about things either.)

Bonus question: What's the best aftermarket chain compatible with Campy 10-speed drivetrains that doesn't do this sort of thing?

Last edited by aerodynamic; 01-21-12 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-21-12, 12:47 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked 2,779 Times in 1,551 Posts
If the width is correct, ie 5.9mm, then the link should be fine. lots of folks are using Campy and Shimano chains with connectors from KMC, Wipperman, or Sram, and reporting no issues.

And yes, to use a connector you need the chain to have inners at each end. that means getting rid of the dedicated outer link that takes the pin. Think of that one as the connector you're replacing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-21-12, 01:21 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The wipperman and KMC connector will work just fine.
Old 01-21-12, 01:52 AM
aerodynamic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's really reassuring to hear about KMC and Wipperman. Does anybody have experience with the IRD link?