Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Just not the same...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 07:11 AM
NCMTBIKER
Double Rainbow....

Bikes: 2012 Trek/Gary Fisher Wahoo 29r Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just not the same...

Since Lance has retired i dont think racing will be as fun to watch..maybe im wrong...
Old 04-14-11, 07:27 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I don't know if I'm getting old or the riders are getting younger but I don't know much about many of the new riders.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-14-11, 08:19 AM
luxroadie
I read more than post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't take this (totally) wrong but ... cycling has more going for it now than back in the days of LA. You just have to read up about more than LA and "the next Lance".

Maybe it is because I live in Europe - maybe because I read pro cycling mags from UK. But when I see a race coming up I can think of 12 to 24 riders who'll make things exciting.

Aside from idiots like Ricco I think we are in a grand era for pro cycling
Old 04-14-11, 08:59 AM
Farby

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think outside of the US, cycling is seen much differently. In the US, it's lance, lance lance. he gets all the press so unless you are actively reading cycling websites, mags etc, you probably won't come to learn about the rest of the pros. But i think to say it won't be exciting is not accurate. Paris Roubaix was awesome and i thought the tour of flanders was good as well.
I know the more races I watch the more pros i come to learn about. Keep watching and you'll see that there are plenty of riders out there doing amazing things.
Old 04-14-11, 12:33 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by NCROADBIKER
Since Lance has retired i dont think racing will be as fun to watch..maybe im wrong...
My first reaction to this post was to write it off as another US cycle fan who isn't interested unless an American is winning. Then a little humility.

We all have a little nationalism in us. I can remember in the 80's when Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche were winning races there was a surge of interest in pro-cycling in Ireland. Then Roche won the TdF in '87 and the interest reached new heights. Every child wanted a racing bike. The years since have been pretty lean for Irish cycling and the grand irony was in '98 when the TdF started in Ireland that was the year of the Festina doping scandal that cast a shadow over pro-cycling that continues to the present.

I've never been a club road racer but my cycle touring has given me an appreciation of the pain the pros go through. Now, it's the awe for a cyclist of whatever nationality who can climb on a bike and put themselves through pain for personal or team glory. Like all humans they have frailties and flaws.
Old 04-14-11, 01:34 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NCROADBIKER
There are plenty of other people doing exciting things right now, but you need to watch more races and get a feel for the other people that are racing. IIRC Versus will air La Fleche Wallonne and Liege-Bastogne-Liege as well as maybe a few other races coming up soon. De Brabantse Pijl was yesterday. The Amstel Gold Race is this weekend but I'm not sure if they cover that one. Some of these are races that Lance used to do before he started concentrating on winning Tours de France, so tuning in now you might catch the next rising star.
Old 04-14-11, 02:34 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, Lance did not make cycling for me. I am a fan of more than just the Tour de France and think that even that race will be more exciting without the almost clinical way the Lance teams rode the race. Plus there are so many talented young riders out there that the sport is in good hamds. I am actually looking forward to this season without Lance. The spring classics make for some of the most riveting racing on the calendar IMHO. OP it is the optimum time to look beyond the TdF.

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 04-16-11 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-14-11, 04:53 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Lance is gone and now vrs Carries all the 5 monuments and more.

With Lance it was the TDF and maybe whatever lead up races Lance was in.

Much better now.

Withing a few years we may even get commentators who give an honest evaluation of who the contenders in each race are.
Old 04-14-11, 07:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Lance was a non-factor in anything except the TdF. Still, Versus bought the broadcast rights to the TdF before Lance had won his first so it was really a pretty big gamble, whatever factor Lance played in that... I'm grateful.

Originally Posted by Keith99
Lance is gone and now vrs Carries all the 5 monuments and more.
M-SR wasn't on Versus this year. Don't see GdL on there either, but it's early. Worlds would also be a nice add.

https://www.versus.com/blogs/2010-tou...ycle-schedule/
Old 04-14-11, 09:42 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
heh, you must be one of those "july-only" fans.
Old 04-16-11, 11:06 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Lance was a non-factor in anything except the TdF. Still, Versus bought the broadcast rights to the TdF before Lance had won his first so it was really a pretty big gamble, whatever factor Lance played in that... I'm grateful.

M-SR wasn't on Versus this year. Don't see GdL on there either, but it's early. Worlds would also be a nice add.

In Canada we still have OLN and they ONLY broadcast the TdF...and it greatly pisses me off. If there is one thing I miss about television in the US it is (Heaven forbid) Versus .

Cheers,

Brian J

― Bruce Lee
Old 04-16-11, 11:11 AM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assume you mean the TDF?

I think the AS/AC duel will be fun to watch if AC is allowed to race
Old 04-16-11, 07:50 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy riding and appreciated bike racing, but the fact is that unless americans (I am one) have a big gun racing (i.e. Greg Lemond, LA) they will just NOT be interest bike racing. They do love recreational riding such as charity rides and centuries, but thats it. They like competitive running (on any given weekend you can find hundreds of running races and maybe 1 bike race and only during the season. They don't give a flip about international road racing because again, there are no (very few) top americans. Their hero's are Bill Rodgers, Frank Shorter, and Alberto Salazar and I don't see them winning any races lately (naturalized citizens from other countries don't get there attention either).
Old 04-16-11, 08:29 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbenkert111
I enjoy riding and appreciated bike racing, but the fact is that unless americans (I am one) have a big gun racing (i.e. Greg Lemond, LA) they will just NOT be interest bike racing. They do love recreational riding such as charity rides and centuries, but thats it. They like competitive running (on any given weekend you can find hundreds of running races and maybe 1 bike race and only during the season. They don't give a flip about international road racing because again, there are no (very few) top americans. Their hero's are Bill Rodgers, Frank Shorter, and Alberto Salazar and I don't see them winning any races lately (naturalized citizens from other countries don't get there attention either).
Holy massive, nonsensical generalizations batman!

Wait, I have another:

I'll take five lines of ignorance for a thousand, Alex.
Old 04-17-11, 10:44 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

^^^

― Bruce Lee
Old 04-17-11, 04:20 PM
TOLOCOMan

Bikes: Norco Fluid 3, Cannondale R800, Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
In Canada we still have OLN and they ONLY broadcast the TdF...and it greatly pisses me off. If there is one thing I miss about television in the US it is (Heaven forbid) Versus .

Cheers,

Brian J
It's actually TSN that has the rights for this year, and they are broadcasting it in HD for the first time in Canada.
Old 04-17-11, 05:30 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
I don't know if I'm getting old or the riders are getting younger but I don't know much about many of the new riders.
Same here! I used to read up on the foreign up 'n comers too. I haven't bought VeloNews print in over 12 years.
Old 04-18-11, 02:44 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

My bad, I should have said it seems like they are carrying all the monuments (and more).

Did they pick up the TDF rights the first year Lance was riding teh TDF post Cancer? If so he may have played a significant part. One thing about Grand Tours is that day 1 serves as an ad for all the remaining days, as does day 2 and day 3 and on. Having an American in a toutable position (which Lance was) may have been enough to tip the scales on it being a gamble they were willing to take.
Old 04-19-11, 05:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99

Did they pick up the TDF rights the first year Lance was riding teh TDF post Cancer? If so he may have played a significant part.
I think they (OLN) actually bought the rights for the 1999 Tour before the 1998 Tour. I remember Adrian Karsten making a speech about how much he enjoyed covering the side stories in France (for ESPN) on the last day of the Tour and he was sad to see that it was coming to an end. I'm pretty sure that was 1998 and I don't think Lance's chances were considered very good at that point.

Also I remember having to dump my cable company for DirecTV to get OLN (then dumped DirecTV for DishNetwork during the 2009 debacle).

BTW, check out this video I uploaded recently:

Old 04-19-11, 07:39 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I never thought it was fun to watch.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-19-11, 10:26 PM
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I never thought it was fun to watch.
agreed, the 1st TDF i ever watched was w/ floyd 'winning'. i have an old disco jersey, and much mellow johnny's gear, and i've been to that shop numerous times... but besides motivation for what i want to accomplish personally, lance has very little to do w/ my interest in cycling. when i started road biking (years before lance's TDF wins) for distance and fitness i had no idea what the TDF really was or any idea of european cycling. now that i follow some of the other races for an understanding of strategy, it's only marginal and to provide motivation, sitting around watching sports is just a massive waste of time IMO.

Last edited by PeddlingPilgrim; 04-19-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 08:43 AM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the age of the fan and the time in which they became interested in cycling has a lot to do with it. The first tour I watched was Lance's 7th, but besides thinking it was cool I didn't become a huge fan overnight. I definitely became a "Tour de France fan" as opposed to either a "cycling fan" or a "Lance fan."

I've enjoyed every Tour since then, though the scandals have taken some of the fun out of it. At the bakery where I go to watch the Tour live, there is a younger generation of viewers that is excited about the current riders, a middle aged and/or less engaged group that turns every conversation to Lance, and an older group that talks about the times before Lance, as far back as Merckx.

This year I've been watching the classics through steephill.tv, and loving it. While maybe not as exciting as the Tour overall, they beat the pants off a flat stage. It's fun to follow my favorite teams and riders, which happens to be most of them, and see riders who are masters of a slightly different discipline than tour riding.
Old 04-20-11, 09:51 AM
luxroadie
I read more than post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyL
I think the age of the fan and the time in which they became interested in cycling has a lot to do with it.
Man said a lot right there! I do hope folks who 'joined' at different times get a chance to come to appreciate the sport for what it is without a focus on one rider or one race.

I do think that is what Europeans get that Americans can't. I was lucky as I grew up in NYC but read a lot about Sean Kelly in the 80s and grew to love the sport "in that age". For me cycling is about Europe and the different countries, cultures, races, climates.

Lance brought it into a modern era (remains to be seen how we remember that era). But the sport of cycling is so much bigger than Lance or the Tour (maybe not bigger than Eddie but that's another kettle of smelt).
Old 04-20-11, 11:51 AM
Cdy291

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't get my first road bike until after lance won his last tour, but I have been riding a bike on some level since I learned how to ride. Whatching Landis win in 2006 is what really inspired me to go do my first race though when I was 17.

Co owner of The Chain Station bike shop.
Old 04-20-11, 01:18 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdy291
I didn't get my first road bike until after lance won his last tour, but I have been riding a bike on some level since I learned how to ride. Whatching Landis win in 2006 is what really inspired me to go do my first race though when I was 17.
Óscar Pereiro won in 2006.

Hope this news hasn't come as a shock or put you off racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.