Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

uci suspends disc brakes for road racing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

uci suspends disc brakes for road racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 10:15 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Nope... Stupid game
Best to stay inside. You'll be safe there.
Old 04-13-16, 11:39 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many of you go on group rides with riders who have disc brakes? Has this become an issue in club riding?
Old 04-14-16, 01:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Guessing you'd never play hockey either...
You may not have noticed, but hockey players wear a a little more protective gear than cyclists. It is also recognized as a far more dangerous sport by everybody. In cycling all are going roughly the same speed in the same direction most of the time. In hockey, head-on collisions at 25 mph each are entirely possible and do happen. Pucks can go 120 mph. But every player, even before the helmets and face guards wore full armor on the front to their legs and around their hips plus gladiator style gloves. Not to mention far more clothing than any lycra clad cyclist.

Ben
Old 04-14-16, 01:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
I feel that discs on road bikes were a solution looking for a problem. I avoided them when I purchased my bike because I couldn't envision a situation, other than being caught out in a storm, where I would need them.
I did too until I bought a Colnago CX w/discs. The braking is so much more progressive and predictable IMO. I saw no use for discs until I had a bike w/discs. My next road bike will have discs.
Old 04-14-16, 01:36 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
How about descending at 40+ mph on carbon wheels? Discs brakes are easy to modulate and control speed and easy to stop fast. Carbon wheels with calipers are nearly impossible to stop immediately and if you try to ride the brakes at all to control your speed you are in danger of heating rim and causing failure or tube blow out (if you have tubes)
Yeah, look how many times Sagan has now died descending mountains at 60 mph while riding the top tube.
Guys...what is it? Is Sagan on his 5th or 6th death now? Last time I looked he rides carbon wheels.

The UCI are morons for allowing discs in the first place. Insiders knew the risks. Road racing at the pro level is a blood sport. Lots of crashes at high speed in the peloton. No reason to add 2 scalpels per bicycle to the equation....where fractionally improved braking can also spell further disaster when riding 2 feet apart at 30 mph +.
Old 04-14-16, 01:38 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I did too until I bought a Colnago CX w/discs. The braking is so much more progressive and predictable IMO. I saw no use for discs until I had a bike w/discs. My next road bike will have discs.
Mine won't.
Old 04-14-16, 01:41 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by usatrump
How many of you go on group rides with riders who have disc brakes? Has this become an issue in club riding?
Why even ask? What does club riding have to do with pro level racing?
watermelon and pizza.
If I have my druthers...no disc bikes in fast group rides either. But that ain't gonna happen. Always some yahoo who wastes his money thinking disk brakes are better on a road bike...lol.
Old 04-14-16, 01:47 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
This is one I don't think the UCI will be able to stop from eventually happening all in. The industry has gone too far this direction. It will be up to everyone to find a solution that works. Disc brakes aren't going to go away on road bikes. That ship has already sailed.

Personally....after riding disc for the last few years I have actually changed my mind back to wanting rim caliper brakes for road for myself for the foreseeable future.
Relieved that a guy who makes wheels for a living gets it.
Old 04-14-16, 01:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
And yet they do nothing about motorbikes (with disk brakes too) even after someone dies and there was yet another motorbike crashing into a Sky rider at Paris-Roubaix.
Sorry to single you out but you really define how ignorant people are about this issue. I am a motorcycle guy too FWIW. Elite athletes riding 30+ mph 2 feet apart including the utter mayhem of sprinting bouncing off one another's handlebars has nothing to do with riding a motorcycle or even motorcycle racing. They can't even be compared down to the full face helmets and full reinforced clothing.

Allowing use of disk brakes into the blood sport of road cycling racing, isn't just stupid, its beyond stupid. I am very sorry that guy got so badly hacked. Did you guys see his leg in that picture? Could have been much worse. Could have been the guys' face or a main artery to his body cause further destruction or death. The sport of cycling at the elite racing level is already VERY dangerous on so many levels. Adding to this for virtually no benefit and an argument can be made that enhanced braking is actually more dangerous within the peloton as well...any of you guys crash in a group ride because an idiot in front of you over applied his brakes?...pretty unbelievable that disks were allowed in the first place.
Old 04-14-16, 02:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Mine won't.
You might think differently if you, like me, had had a front brake lock up resulting in a broken neck and fusion of C1 & C2. Then again, maybe not. To each his own.

(Nothing to do with what I just posted but I, too, am a motorcyclist. MSF Instructor riding Ducatis for the past 15 yrs. And, riding generally since 1975.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Supersort '14 002.jpg (70.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by bruce19; 04-14-16 at 02:04 AM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-14-16, 02:44 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Speaking of motorcycles...

The GP bikes used to run shrouded carbon disks too (they liked to stay hot).
Likes For znomit:
Old 04-14-16, 03:16 AM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
Well, there's the key. You had a choice. Professionals don't. They have to use whatever equipment is pushed on them by their sponsor.

Fortunately, UCI saved the riders this time, ironically from the manufacturers who are paying their salaries.

I've ridden mechanical discs and feel they are overkill. I don't ride in the rain, and I weigh 165 or so.

Maybe a 300 pounder who loves to ride in the rain might feel otherwise.
Old 04-14-16, 04:32 AM
masterchief

Bikes: 2016 All City Macho Man, 2017 Trek 520, 1997 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Disc brakes brought the "endurance/adventure/gravel/whatever" style road bike with more tire clearance with them, and going back to 25c tire road bikes would be the biggest loss to me, if disc brakes disappeared.

Almost every major brand has an "endurance/adventure/gravel/whatever" type of bike in their line up now, and they didnt before discs brakes was here. I hope they will keep producing the type of bike, even if disc brakes goes away as a result of this.
Old 04-14-16, 04:53 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Speaking of motorcycles...

The GP bikes used to run shrouded carbon disks too (they liked to stay hot).
That's Hardley what I'd call a motorcycle

BTW that brake system pretty much failed miserably when they tried unsuccessfully to step up to World Superbikes. The dual-disc systems their competitors were using outperformed them, as if they needed any more disadvatanges.
Old 04-14-16, 04:58 AM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Sorry to single you out but you really define how ignorant people are about this issue. I am a motorcycle guy too FWIW. Elite athletes riding 30+ mph 2 feet apart including the utter mayhem of sprinting bouncing off one another's handlebars has nothing to do with riding a motorcycle or even motorcycle racing. They can't even be compared down to the full face helmets and full reinforced clothing.

Allowing use of disk brakes into the blood sport of road cycling racing, isn't just stupid, its beyond stupid. I am very sorry that guy got so badly hacked. Did you guys see his leg in that picture? Could have been much worse. Could have been the guys' face or a main artery to his body cause further destruction or death. The sport of cycling at the elite racing level is already VERY dangerous on so many levels. Adding to this for virtually no benefit and an argument can be made that enhanced braking is actually more dangerous within the peloton as well...any of you guys crash in a group ride because an idiot in front of you over applied his brakes?...pretty unbelievable that disks were allowed in the first place.
What are you going on about?

I am referring to the inaction by the UCI over the spate of recent motorcycle crashes including the death of Antoine Demoitie in Gent-Wevelgum this year. Did you not see the motorbike piling into the back of the Sky rider in one of the crashes in Paris Roubaix? Yet, another crash that could have ended very badly for that rider. The comment I made about disk brakes was just a little, light hearted thing that I threw in but it seems everyone has picked up and that and not the main point I was trying to make which is that the UCI has acted quickly over this incident but has been slow to do anything about the motorbikes which have done far worse damage to riders than disk brakes.

By the way, I did see the leg of the rider who claims it was caused by a disk brake and also the cut to the other riders left knee. I haven't seen anyone explain how a disk brake could possibly have caused that injury to his left leg. Disks are on the left side of the bike so it would have required an interesting chain of events for a disk rider to cut someone's left leg.

Here is a quote by the rider himself:

“I didn’t actually fall down: it was only my leg touching the back of his bike. I keep riding. But shortly afterwards, I have a glance at that leg: it doesn’t hurt, there’s not a lot of blood covering it, but I can clearly see part of the periosteum, the membrane or surface that covers my tibia.”

If he didn't fall and his left leg touched the back of the bike of the rider in front then how the hell did a disk brake cut it?

On the other hand, I can certainly see how a rider who bumps into another rider either from in front or behind can easily have their right leg gashed.

For the record, I am not a fan of disk brakes and I am also not here trying to say disk brakes are awesome nor am I saying that they are the most evil thing invented like most others seem to be doing. I am just trying to point out that the UCI is, once again, remarkably inconsistent in it's handling of rider safety. Too slow to act on motorbikes in the peloton causing serious injuries to riders and perhaps too hasty to act on disk brakes.
Old 04-14-16, 05:19 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I feel hydraulic disc brakes are superior in every way to cable actuated calipers but agree that caliper brakes are plenty fine for a road bike. I would not buy a road bike with disc due to the extra cost and weight vs a road bike with calipers and that opinion has developed over the few months I've been riding. I was in one of those earlier threads arguing for the use of disc but now my opinion aligns more with those I argued against, for my road bike caliper brakes are the best option even with my CF wheels (but I'm slow lack confidence riding at high speed). They were right and I was wrong @Lazyass

As far as the UCI changing the rules, it's their call and if someone doesn't like it then don't compete in UCI events. If manufactures don't like it then they should participate in UCI events. People want to complain about everything they don't agree with, I'd much rather see boycotts. If a rider, team or manufacturer doesn't like the way an event is being run just don't participate in that event.
Old 04-14-16, 05:22 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I posted the article below a few months ago. It caused so much drama people were acting like I personally wrote it and made up the quotes myself. It was like debating the Iraq war or something. One certain pro-disc guy even defended his comments by saying what his freaking college major was, I mean it was ridiculous. Here's one quote:

Geoff Brown (Garmin-Sharp mechanic): Now we’re already knackered with the front wheels anyways, because of the fork tabs. So it will add a bit more time, whatever, OK, fair enough. But more it’s just what it’ll do to the guys riding the bike, or the guy next to him. I personally have real fears about it. I don’t want to jump out of the car and see a guy with his femoral artery sliced. If there’s 25-30 guys on the floor, there’s not enough medical staff there to deal with the mess. It’s first come, first serve, the guy could bleed out right there.

Read more at Stopping progress? Pro cyclists weigh in on the disc-brake debate - VeloNews.com
Old 04-14-16, 05:42 AM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't understand how those who despise disc brakes are using this to justify not having discs on ANY road bike. Unless you're riding in a massive pro peloton pack the disc brakes are no danger to you as a normal person. You can still argue that you prefer other options but this changes nothing for the large majority of us.
Old 04-14-16, 05:58 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
What are we going to change bikes over to internally geared/chain/rings so that no one can ever be hurt by them?

What about pedals?

Uh oh, there are spokes on that bike.

Need some baby bumpers on the end of those handlebars too.

Matter of fact, think everyone needs to start racing tricycles, because those two wheelers are inherently unstable. Wait, can't corner on a tricycle, so the race tracks need to be all straight, all flat, and have NASCAR-esce safety barriers. While we are at it, wrap the racers in bubble wrap.

This world is becoming more and more sissy by the minute.
Old 04-14-16, 05:59 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
an injured rider writes about his P-R disc brake injury
Old 04-14-16, 06:14 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
What are we going to change bikes over to internally geared/chain/rings so that no one can ever be hurt by them?

What about pedals?

Matter of fact, think everyone needs to start racing tricycles, because those two wheelers are inherently unstable. Wait, can't corner on a tricycle, so the race tracks need to be all straight, all flat, and have NASCAR-esce safety barriers. While we are at it, wrap the racers in bubble wrap.

You can say that again. It is up to you to hold the line. Don't let anyone tell you what to do. It is a matter of principle. I, OTOH, will be happily wearing my helmet. Life is too short...already.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-14-16 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 06:21 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
He clearly doesn't like disc brakes. Unfortunately, in this situation there isn't really any evidence that his cut was caused by a disc. A disc is not the only sharp thing on a bike. Could have just as easily been a wheel skewer.
Old 04-14-16, 06:23 AM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat

What about pedals?

I agree the world is becoming more sissy by the minute, especially here in the US. In this case it has nothing to do with being sissified. It's just common sense.
A bike already has inherently dangerous parts but without those parts the bike wouldn't function.
Why force pro racers to add a part that isn't needed to begin with?
Old 04-14-16, 06:27 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I think we can now safely answer the major question that rages in cycling forums across the world (other that that of disc brakes): sock height.

The answer is: Thigh high kevlar lined socks.
Old 04-14-16, 06:42 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Personally....after riding disc for the last few years I have actually changed my mind back to wanting rim caliper brakes for road for myself for the foreseeable future.
After riding disc for two years on the road, I purposefully purchased the caliper version of my new bike. I even saved money doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.