Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 01:06 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Well irony of ironies, I hit a rock this morning and damaged my sidewall 1 mile into a 100 mile ride It was sort of my own fault though...this was at 4am in the dark, with a light on the low setting because I couldnt remember the last time I charged it, and wanted to make sure it lasted until sunrise.

It's really not bad though...a good scrape on the sidewall. No loss of air, though it does appear it knicked a couple casing threads that are fluffed up and poking through the rubber. Realistically...the tire is probably fine, but even I'm not ballsy enough to test it in a crit. I'll retire it to service as the rear tire on my commuter I think.

This probably means I'll test out the GP5000 with tubes. Maybe go for latex now.

Oddly, I feel this sort of reinforces my position that most/many flats are caused by dopes (like me) blasting through construction areas in the dark with insufficient lighting, or refusing to air up their tires regularly.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 05-10-19, 01:13 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Sidewall cuts are the fault of the rider, not the tire, though of course one can run heavy sidewall tires, but they're slow. I'd rather avoid rocks and run enough pressure to prevent pinch flats.

My 4000 IIs tires are the best I've ever run on our tandem or my singles in terms of tread cuts. Michelin Endurance were possibly the worst. What happens to tires around here are small tread cuts from whatever, maybe 3/16" long, which don't cause a flat immediately. I've had Endurance tires with maybe 10 or so of these of varying sizes. Sooner or later though, they pick up a bit of debris, glass, flint, whatever, which sits in the cut and eventually works its way through the casing and causes a flat. I once had 5 flats on a 50 mile rain ride while running a pair of cut Endurance tires. Yes, I threw them away when I got home, and yes I pick out the debris between rides.

On the good side, my 4000 IIs are the most cut-free tires I've ever run. It's the tread material. Whatever Conti is using, it's the best. I've run over lots and lots of glass with the 4000s. Seldom a flat, seldom a tread cut.

I'm looking forward to running my new 5000s, but I'll have to wait until I wear out my 4000s, so maybe next year.
Hrmm, I actually get a LOT of minor tread cuts in my GP4000s. Once every couple weeks I'll take a few minutes and go at them with a sharpened spoke or a sharp filet knife, digging a half dozen shards of glass out of the little slits. The puncture protection in the tires certainly works.
Old 05-10-19, 01:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Sidewall cuts are the fault of the rider, not the tire, though of course one can run heavy sidewall tires, but they're slow. I'd rather avoid rocks and run enough pressure to prevent pinch flats.

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Well irony of ironies, I hit a rock this morning and damaged my sidewall 1 mile into a 100 mile ride It was sort of my own fault though...this was at 4am in the dark, with a light on the low setting because I couldnt remember the last time I charged it, and wanted to make sure it lasted until sunrise.

Oddly, I feel this sort of reinforces my position that most/many flats are caused by dopes (like me) blasting through construction areas in the dark with insufficient lighting, or refusing to air up their tires regularly.
So, IMO it doesn't really matter if sidewall cuts are the fault of the rider and if you to say it's user error. The fact is humans will commit errors in judgement. It's actually one good reason to wear a helmet. What matters is what tradeoffs are willing to be accepted and to what degree, in order to achieve other benefits. If you're not racing, are you better off on a 5000 vs. some type of 'endurance' model road tire?
Old 05-10-19, 01:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,864 Posts

It's really not bad though...a good scrape on the sidewall. No loss of air, though it does appear it knicked a couple casing threads that are fluffed up and poking through the rubber. Realistically...the tire is probably fine, but even I'm not ballsy enough to test it in a crit. I'll retire it to service as the rear tire on my commuter I think.

This probably means I'll test out the GP5000 with tubes. Maybe go for latex now.

Don't mean to make fun of this, but in light of your original post in this thread, I definitely see the irony.
Old 05-10-19, 01:50 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Don't mean to make fun of this, but in light of your original post in this thread, I definitely see the irony.

Oh no doubt lol. This is definitely karma ****ting on me for being a judgmental ****.
Old 05-10-19, 01:57 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So, IMO it doesn't really matter if sidewall cuts are the fault of the rider and if you to say it's user error. The fact is humans will commit errors in judgement. It's actually one good reason to wear a helmet. What matters is what tradeoffs are willing to be accepted and to what degree, in order to achieve other benefits. If you're not racing, are you better off on a 5000 vs. some type of 'endurance' model road tire?
I run GP4000s on my purely commuter bike. Hell, I ran one on the trainer all winter as well. Personally, I don't see why anyone would want a significantly tougher tire; with exceptions of course. Winter use. I really don't want to be changing a tire on the side of the road in the snow when it's 10F outside. I'm willing to suffer my 15lb winter compound tires to avoid the potential of flatting. Also if I lived somewhere these mythical tire attacking goat thingies are, I'd probably go to a tougher tire if I averaged more than 1 flat every 50 miles. Also, if I didn't actually know how to change a flat, or couldn't do it in less than 10 minutes. Of course...that last one would seem to be good incentive to spend some time practicing fixing flats, rather than suffer bad riding tires. But, to each his own, I suppose.

edit: In light of recent experiences, I think my above post may have just ****ed me again.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 05-10-19 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 01:59 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
One sharp rock can easily take out paper-thin GP 4000 sidewalls, so if you see a patch of gravel up ahead, be prepared to "take the lane" or risk a blowout. Or just use something more durable. I don't like having to ride that way, it's too dangerous.
Old 05-10-19, 02:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
One sharp rock can easily take out paper-thin GP 4000 sidewalls.
Yup, exactly. For example, the photo I posted higher up in this thread. Paper-thin is not much of an exaggeration.
Old 05-10-19, 02:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I run GP4000s on my purely commuter bike. Hell, I ran one on the trainer all winter as well. Personally, I don't see why anyone would want a significantly tougher tire; with exceptions of course. Winter use. I really don't want to be changing a tire on the side of the road in the snow when it's 10F outside. I'm willing to suffer my 15lb winter compound tires to avoid the potential of flatting. Also if I lived somewhere these mythical tire attacking goat thingies are, I'd probably go to a tougher tire if I averaged more than 1 flat every 50 miles. Also, if I didn't actually know how to change a flat, or couldn't do it in less than 10 minutes. Of course...that last one would seem to be good incentive to spend some time practicing fixing flats, rather than suffer bad riding tires. But, to each his own, I suppose.
Generally speaking there seems to be more of a gap in Conti's lineup where you do have to make more significant decisions/tradeoffs between rideability and toughness. From the 5000, the next tougher tire I think they offer (per RollingResistance.com) is a GP 4 season and there's a pretty big jump in RR from (at 100psi) 10.7 watts up to 18 watts.

Other tire manufacturers have less drastic jumps (eg. Michelin Power Comp vs Endurance is a 12watt to ~15 watt, or even cheaper Krylion2 exists at 16 watt). Pirelli's PZero vs PZero-4season, similar smaller jumps in RR (13 vs 16 watts, etc)
Old 05-10-19, 02:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
I'm relatively new to road biking but the majority of my riding is on some of the crappiest backroads imaginable. A lot of them haven't been paved in 30 years and are just a series of patches and potholes. Since they are not heavily used, there is plenty of debris.

I put on 4000II's about 1500 miles ago and have had one flat, which was actually in town in an area with new home construction. Otherwise they've been great. No sidewall issues and wearing reasonably well. The rear will need to be changed reasonably soon and I'll probably put on another one.

I think that a lot of the flat thing is more about bad luck than it is the tire. If you got a flat on x tire, you probably would have gotten it with y tire as well.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-10-19, 03:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Jeebus. I don't even carry enough spares/patches to address 5 flats, but if I did, I still would have called it quits by #3 , maybe #4 , and made the call of shame.
We were leading the ride on our tandem. One rider was nice enough to stay with us. We used our 2 tubes, her 2 tubes, and had to patch one. I hate patching in the rain. Around here, everyone carries 2 tubes and many of us also a spare tire. One buddy always carries 4 tubes.
Old 05-10-19, 03:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
One sharp rock can easily take out paper-thin GP 4000 sidewalls, so if you see a patch of gravel up ahead, be prepared to "take the lane" or risk a blowout. Or just use something more durable. I don't like having to ride that way, it's too dangerous.
I've ridden gravel with the 4000s on our tandem. Wasn't a problem. Years ago, I did get a sidewall cut on gravel with Michelin Pro4 Endurance. Other than rider error, that kind of thing is mostly luck. But gravel tires definitely help - on gravel. I was riding behind another tandem when he cut the sidewall on a Marathon. And behind that same tandem and tires when they spun out and went down on a steep wet climb that I didn't think was even slick.

There are no perfect choices, it's all a compromise.
Old 05-10-19, 04:47 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I’m with the thought that frequent flats are due to riding style. I’ve used GP4000’s for years. Zero flats last year and one the prior season but that was a pinch flat. I don’t attribute my luck to just the tires. I just say that I’ve had no issues with the Conti’s.

I’m 61 and about 200 pounds. I unload over bumps and avoid potholes and debris whenever possible.

This season I’m riding on the Specialized tires that came on my NOS 2017 Roubaix Sport SL4. In limited riding so far of about 150 miles they have been flawless. So maybe it’s my riding style that creates my good fortune.
Old 05-10-19, 06:39 PM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was riding on my bike with GP5000 TLs and heard a loud bang and then I pulled over to see what it was and a nice chunk of the tire came off There was nothing on the road and these tires have roughly 500 miles on them. Still ride-able?

Old 05-10-19, 06:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by logical
Was riding on my bike with GP5000 TLs and heard a loud bang and then I pulled over to see what it was and a nice chunk of the tire came off There was nothing on the road and these tires have roughly 500 miles on them. Still ride-able?

Sure, they're rideable, but just don't be committing human error and riding over any pebbles or the like..
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-10-19, 10:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I feel kinda like you guys jinxed me.

It's been over a year since my last roadside flat on GP4000S2 tires. After reading this, I got mildly concerned and started riding very carefully. Around mile 10, the rear tire went flat - some gross piece of plastic got stuck in the tube. Oops!
Old 05-10-19, 11:13 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
GP4000S II on wide HED Ardennes+ rims:

The first 15000 miles on these wheels: Just a few punctures -- a piece of glass, a sharp metal bit and a fine wire from a car/truck tire.
I'm seeing way fewer tread cuts than 10 years ago. Perhaps there's less glass on the road, with more plastic bottles.

The next 5000 miles: I got two pinch flats in one year, both from a large, sharp gravel chunk sitting on an otherwise clean road. Both on somewhat fast downhills.

So, it's random bad luck on flats. The OP might not get another one for years.

Mileage
Probably 3500-4000 miles on the rear tire, then a bit less mileage when I move the old front tire to the back and put a new one on the front. The tire that was moved to the back often still has the mold line down the center of the tread, essentially no tread wear from being on the front wheel.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-10-19 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 11:17 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
GP5000 vs GP4000S II:

I've only had these 5000s for a few weeks. First impressions are that they seem a little more precise on fast turns. It seems to be a bit harder to hold my line when riding very slow on steep hills -- down near 3 mph. I might be imagining the difference, though.

They are a bit narrower than the GP4000S II.
25mm GP4000 on 20.5 ID rims: measured 29mm
25mm GP5000 on 20.5 ID rims: measured 28mm
Old 05-11-19, 07:21 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yes...

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yup, exactly. For example, the photo I posted higher up in this thread. Paper-thin is not much of an exaggeration.
No kidding. And the 5000s are even thinner. While mine punctured in the tread, it's obvious the tire is not built for endurance.

Anyway, I took my first ride with the Michelin Power Endurance today. No, they don't ride as nice as the GP 5000 does, but, well, I rode through some crap. No flats, no cuts. At this point I'll give up a little speed for no flats.
Old 05-11-19, 07:23 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Hope you're right

Originally Posted by rm -rf
GP4000S II on wide HED Ardennes+ rims:

The first 15000 miles on these wheels: Just a few punctures -- a piece of glass, a sharp metal bit and a fine wire from a car/truck tire.
I'm seeing way fewer tread cuts than 10 years ago. Perhaps there's less glass on the road, with more plastic bottles.

The next 5000 miles: I got two pinch flats in one year, both from a large, sharp gravel chunk sitting on an otherwise clean road. Both on somewhat fast downhills.

So, it's random bad luck on flats. The OP might not get another one for years.

Mileage
Probably 3500-4000 miles on the rear tire, then a bit less mileage when I move the old front tire to the back and put a new one on the front. The tire that was moved to the back often still has the mold line down the center of the tread, essentially no tread wear from being on the front wheel.
I don't usually flat a lot; two last year over 4K miles. So when I had two punctures in the first 400 miles with the new tires, well, it got my attention. I guess I'll see how the Power Endurance tires hold up. I hope you're right about not getting flat for years!
Old 05-12-19, 08:19 AM
Abe_Froman

I feel its time to have a bit of a poll here.

How long does it take you to change a flat tube??
Old 05-12-19, 08:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

about an average of 1mph over typical ride distance
Old 05-12-19, 08:46 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

You could start an epic thread with that one.
Old 05-12-19, 08:51 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
At home, 5 minutes. By the side of a busy road, about half a day usually.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-12-19, 05:57 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
How long does it take me to change a flat. 8 minutes at home with carbon wheels. When I have 20 riders watching me on a group ride...it takes me FOREEEEVVVVVEEEER
Likes For Sojodave:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.