Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chrome mystery bike??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chrome mystery bike??

Old 05-23-19, 12:06 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
It could be a Sneetch bike. Some of them Sneetches has stars upon thars.

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-27-19, 11:38 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
I got an email saying there was an update on this thread so I clicked on it thinking there actually might have been a Sneetch bike and then I saw the cartoon.........

I think I might get some red white and blue paint and touch up the stars and advertise on July 4th. Who knows what some patriotic soul will say??
Old 06-06-19, 03:00 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Thanks for the tags (and the pms) guys.

Frames matching this one have been on my radar for probably a few years now. I've come across maybe 10 or a dozen so far. I’d say that probably one or two of these pop up every year on Italian classifieds.

OP’s would be the second one on BF (see this thread), there were a couple on German vintage forums, and the rest I found in Italy (forums and classifieds).

Of the ones mentioned outside Italy, all were Italian threaded so it's safe to assume we’re talking about frames made in Italy.

Three of the frames were fully painted (i.e. no chrome), but two of those looked like possible repaints.

The rest were all chromed, with all but two showing remnants of paint (cromovelato style paint as @unworthy1 mentioned) in various degrees of coverage.

I'm assuming that the paint flaked easily so sections must have been removed to make the bikes look more presentable.

Four of the frames had no decals left. The rest included decals of mostly small shops/outfits around Italy: Busana, (Ezio) Cardi, De March, Furlan, Giovannini, L'Ezzelina and Miotto. I'd say this pretty conclusively indicates we're dealing with contract frames built in Italy.

This is why I'm excluding as possibles two marques that were known to use lines of regular five-pointed stars: Simplon (Austrian) and Mairag (Swiss).

Here are some pics:

Well, you get the idea.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 06-06-19, 03:05 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Using the regular five-pointed stars on bikes (decals or pantographs) was not extremely uncommon in Italy. Some marques that are well known in the US include Viner, Olmo and Guerciotti. There were others that used them during certain periods (like Chesini, Esposito or Stella Veneta (although you'll find those more often with a "V" inside a star of David), and others).

There were several marques, all clustered around Padova, though, that used stars regularly in all kinds of configurations: Berma, Vetta, De Franceschi, even Biemmezeta (occasionally). Of those, however, I'm only aware of Vetta using three stars in a line, both in decals and engraved on stay caps and fork crowns. This is why I've always suspected these mystery frames came out of their shop.

The only problem with this theory is that all the 3-star engravings on Vettas that I’ve seen so far only appear on frames from about mid to late 80s. Also, the 3 stars on the fork crown appear on frequently on Vetta branded frames, while the 3 stars on the stay caps seem to only appear on their contract builds.

I even contacted Vetta at one point but never heard back from them.

Here are some pics of stars on decals:

Pantographs on fork crowns:

Pantographs on seat stay caps:

So, my money is still on our mystery frames being contract builds by Vetta (and they’d done a lot of contract builds over the years).
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 06-06-19, 12:24 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

Thanks so much Maurice!

Great information.

Outstanding observations as always.

-----
Old 06-06-19, 10:38 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Yep, truly educational! Thanks again to Maurice!
Old 06-07-19, 08:03 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
Thank you to @MauriceMoss and everyone who chipped in!

I'd like to apologize if it looked like I was ignoring my own thread and especially Mr. Moss after I had reached out to him.

Not the case, some of my posts aren't saving, don't know why.

Glad this mystery was solved, don't want to see something like this fade away, hanging on the rafters of a garage. From what I can tell Vetta was a respected name and this deserves to be ridden.

It's way way to small for me to keep and I have too many that don't fit so I expect I will offer it at the Brantford C&V show for $200 or so Canadian and I expect it will soon have a new home.....

I see more amazing bikes on here than I could ever remember and I appreciate the good work done by folks identifying them!

Thank you again

Wesley

Final photos - seat is an Agda

Last edited by WGB; 06-07-19 at 08:23 AM. Reason: photo