Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safety around large vehicles.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Safety around large vehicles.

Old 06-29-19, 09:10 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Around here, the freight trucks, dump trucks, and city buses don't see motorcyclists with daytime motor vehicle lighting. Those same vehicles sure don't see bicycles either, whether they have lighting or not.

The city buses around here are allowed to break laws that the rest of would be ticketed for. Such as turning from the wrong lane, parking on a major city street blocking traffic while the driver is on break, etc. etc.

A couple years back I was witness to a roll off dumpster hauling truck making a quick lane change causing a quad cab dually pulling a gooseneck trailer jack knife and slide off the road. So, if a truck driver can't see a quad cab dually w/ gooseneck trailer . . .

Bottom line, I stay out of those industrial parts of town on my bicycle.
Old 06-29-19, 09:14 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Rick
How many of us have been cut off by a bus or large truck. What did we do to avoid that collision and what did we do after that to keep ourselves from being in danger again. I was heading home from a shopping trip with my Tandem with the bob and all the panniers loaded up with groceries from a Costco. A light had turned red ahead of me and I was coasting in the center of the lane when it turned green. As I put the hammer down just before the lane line a city bus made a right turn from the left lane across my path. I counter steered to the right. The driver stopped just short of hitting me with the rear side of the bus. He saw me and wanted to be first. I drove tractor trailers for a living. I never hit anyone or anything. Because I was a bicycle rider I was more watchful for the mistakes of others. Don't expect this kind of vigilance from others. I have seen people on bicycles at intersections invite right hooks by there actions around large vehicles. They ride up the right side of the right turning truck instead of taking up proper lane position. It is obvious that driver education is lacking in teaching people what not to do around large vehicles and on the motorists side equally bad.
Had that happen to me last week with a large pick up truck. I was first to the stop sign as he pulled up next to me, as I rolled forward he cut a right turn in front of me.

This morning, the same opportunity for this to happen could have occurred, but a police car was across from me and the car next to me, so the car let me roll first. You know how behaved people can be when a policeman's eyes are on them.

Most other times, I stop way short at stop signs and traffic lights if a car or truck pulls up next to me in a near tie to the line. So, they go first, I go second (even though I should have been first), but like I mentioned one post up, city buses break all kinds of laws and don't get ticketed for it.
Old 06-29-19, 09:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Most other times, I stop way short at stop signs and traffic lights if a car or truck pulls up next to me in a near tie to the line. So, they go first, I go second (even though I should have been first), but like I mentioned one post up, city buses break all kinds of laws and don't get ticketed for it.
I've done that in the past. Not as much now, but the riding environment has changed. But, say I was riding in a bike lane, and coming up behind a row of cars with their turn signals on.

Don't stop next to a car with their turn signal on. If I see 2 or 3 cars that appear to be going straight, then I'll stop near those, and leave the turning cars in front.

I find poor visibility of right turn signals is quite annoying, but that is also another reason I like to pull ahead of the cars, and then look back and verify if one is turning.

And, of course, some cities most people signal, and in others, few do so.
Old 06-29-19, 09:56 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Rule 1 of riding around large vehicles: if you can't see the driver's face in the vehicle's mirrors then the driver can't see you.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Rule number two - if you can see their face they may not be looking anyway.

-mr. bill
making EYE CONTACT is no guarantee that one has been seen
Old 06-29-19, 11:51 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Had that happen to me last week with a large pick up truck. I was first to the stop sign as he pulled up next to me, as I rolled forward he cut a right turn in front of me.

This morning, the same opportunity for this to happen could have occurred, but a police car was across from me and the car next to me, so the car let me roll first. You know how behaved people can be when a policeman's eyes are on them.
Were you on the right edge of the road or did the red neck wannabe wing it from the left lane. If you are to the right edge of the lane, you invite that kind of treatment. If I were to hug the curb at intersections I could count on being cut off with impunity on a regular basis. When I am in my car and see someone on a bicycle hugging the curb as I approach an intersection, I don't know what they intend to do. I never try to get ahead of them until it is safe to do so.
Old 06-30-19, 09:47 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Were you on the right edge of the road or did the red neck wannabe wing it from the left lane. If you are to the right edge of the lane, you invite that kind of treatment. If I were to hug the curb at intersections I could count on being cut off with impunity on a regular basis. When I am in my car and see someone on a bicycle hugging the curb as I approach an intersection, I don't know what they intend to do. I never try to get ahead of them until it is safe to do so.
I was right of my lane's center, but not next to the curb. The truck pulled up with his centerline over the dividing lane stripe. So, he was in two lanes at the same time.
Old 06-30-19, 01:51 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I was right of my lane's center, but not next to the curb. The truck pulled up with his centerline over the dividing lane stripe. So, he was in two lanes at the same time.
Boy, I hate lane straddlers. You're never sure what they really want to do.

Not much you can do but to make sure he sees you by looking back at him, turning your head to the left alot and gauging that his driving senses your presense. At least you gave yourself a cushion of safety on your right to escape.
Old 06-30-19, 05:28 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
This happened to me in Florida more than a few times. The rest of the country twice. I kept an 8oz ball peen hammer on a 16" handle with me. I made a hammer hook for my handlebar. It was usually enough just to raise it so they could see it. There are two other variations that red neck wannabes use to cut you off. Getting in the right turn lane when you are going straight. When the light turns they go straight instead of turning and cut to the left into the straight lane. The other variation that I have seen, was another red neck wannabe placing himself part way in the left turn lane and part way into oncoming traffic. I was pushed out of the left turn lane and onto the asphalt of the left most straight thru lane. I currently live in the dessert and The people who are fleeing the broken down society in there old neighborhoods are bringing it with them. I believe it will now be safer to move into the cold country instead.
Old 07-03-19, 12:39 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My number 1 rule, like 79pmooney, is never be next to a truck at an intersection, whether he's turning or not. Nor going through an intersection if I can help it. A lane over, or even further as in OP's case, is pretty extreme for a right hook and I'm not certain I'd see it coming.

I don't mind being beside a passenger car as much, stopped at a light, but not if he's signalling a turn (obviously), and otherwise get at least ahead of the driver or all the way in front if possible.

Rule #2 , FWIW, is don't go until cross traffic has stopped.
Old 07-03-19, 01:07 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Other large object on road

Talk about a safety concern, watch this video. Hve to copy and paste in your browser.

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4pnQ3zBU9M
Old 07-16-19, 12:18 PM
aharvey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agreed!
Old 07-20-19, 01:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
That would be all the information I need to know that he intends to make a right turn and needs the extra room so his rear tires don't climb the curb! It's no mystery really.
Old 07-20-19, 01:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
This happened to me in Florida more than a few times. The rest of the country twice. I kept an 8oz ball peen hammer on a 16" handle with me. I made a hammer hook for my handlebar. It was usually enough just to raise it so they could see it. There are two other variations that red neck wannabes use to cut you off. Getting in the right turn lane when you are going straight. When the light turns they go straight instead of turning and cut to the left into the straight lane. The other variation that I have seen, was another red neck wannabe placing himself part way in the left turn lane and part way into oncoming traffic. I was pushed out of the left turn lane and onto the asphalt of the left most straight thru lane. I currently live in the dessert and The people who are fleeing the broken down society in there old neighborhoods are bringing it with them. I believe it will now be safer to move into the cold country instead.
Which dessert would that be? The Crème Brûlée or the Key Lime Pie dessert? But, seriously, no one but a red neck rides around with a ball peen hammer! So I guess it takes one to know one.
Old 07-26-19, 02:38 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Best of all, there's no way a large vehicle is gonna out-maneuver someone on a bike who's paying attention and able to perform even the most basic evasive reactions.
Ditto