Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 08-16-19, 02:34 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
So I think Garmin uses average speed over some recent duration to give you your turn directions at the appropriate time. However, it's very easy to get situations that break this.

Last ride I came over the top of a long climb and hit a very fast descent, and was even with my turn before it gave me the notification. Had to turn around and climb back up to get back on route.

Then the opposite, it consistently gives me the notification too early when I'm climbing. Like, 45 seconds before I need to turn.

I do wish it would take into account road size. Sometimes it only tells me 200 feet at 20 mph before a turn, but I'm in the far right of two lanes with traffic, so it's really hard to get across to turn left in that space.

I'm guessing this is just the way it is, but it's annoying.
yea its annoying, i just keep it on the map page when I know I have a lot of turns coming up so I can watch the route
Old 08-18-19, 03:13 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Its new bike time and I was conflicted about Rim v Disc. On one hand rim is lighter and I can swap the parts, on the other it'll all be worthless in 3 years (my assumption is no one will sell rim bikes by then) and buying a $2200 wheelset that will only last 2 years and won't go on my next bike is a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, I guess I'm going Disc cus I locked in some used eTap HRD shifters and brakes for pretty cheap! Once I found out that you can get a disc bike under 16.5 lbs / 7.25 kg that was my demarcation. Leaning towards a SuperSix 105 and swapping my eTap. The high end stuff for C'dales is way overpriced.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-19-19, 06:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
My wife kind of needs a new bike. I've told her it will be disc. No point in not going disc now - I'm not saying it's needed, but it's clear that is where the industry is going.

Of course, if we found an awesome deal on a lightly used rim brake bike, I might reconsider.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-24-19, 09:55 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Garmin is replacing my Edge 530 due to continued issues with phone connectivity. I get drops on basically every single ride I do.

We'll see if it helps, but I'm not holding my breath.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-26-19, 05:59 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Is there a smart trainer that doesn’t eat bearings or drive shafts? Had a Snap for two rides, recently refurbished ubit, and it’s toast. Guy is taking it back and giving me my money back.

That item in such a relatively low load should last longer than bottom brackets!

Maybe a Flux?

DC Rainmaker gushes over the Kickr products but I read a ton of problems.

Any production years finally “cleaned up” of issues? Like not buying a first model year car?
Old 08-26-19, 06:50 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Flux had a lot of issues at release. I had a snap, didn't care for how it held erg mode. Moved up to a kickr (2016) and love it. Just works. I wouldn't buy a wheel on trainer anymore.
Old 08-26-19, 07:02 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Garmin is replacing my Edge 530 due to continued issues with phone connectivity. I get drops on basically every single ride I do.

We'll see if it helps, but I'm not holding my breath.
Apparently I'm on the hook for return shipping. They neglected to mention that was part of the deal. Considering how unlikely this is to fix it, and how likely that I'll end up with a refurb with some other issue I'm considering refusing delivery.
Old 08-26-19, 07:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Stac Zero? No bearings! Just magnetic. Seems interesting. Ahhh, but 4iiii just bought them.
Old 08-27-19, 06:38 AM
Flatballer
No matches

So I got the 1 month Strava trial a couple days ago to try out the Analysis pack mostly, to get live segments, and see if I liked them.

So far I hate them. They're not actually working on my Edge 530, even though I can see the segment on the map, it isn't prompting. I think I have it all turned on and enabled and everything, so not sure what the issue is there.

The one segment that I did see and try for today, it ends on a downhill about 10 feet short of a stop sign that almost always has a ton of gravel and sand washed into it from a slope nearby. Should have stopped it at the top of the hill 50 feet back before the descent, because I'm not hammering down that hill and going sliding into a car, that's ridiculously stupid.
Old 10-02-19, 08:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm tossing the ghetto modified HED basebar. I can't adjust it whatsoever and the integral brake levers on it aren't in good shape.

The last straw is that I have the extensions mounted to the stem cylinder piece and they constantly rotate. So I'm going to go with something that has the two bolts to secure risers/pads and stuff. It's not because I'm death gripping it or something, just that the clamping isn't working out.

I also increasingly feel sketched to ride it given I had to drill it for the pad mounts anyway.

We'll see what I wind up with. I'm cruising the UK TT forums for ideas.

Probably will be some open mold thing that isn't the fastest, but will allow me to ride without worrying about hurting myself. Likely the PDQ bar setup. The guy still makes/sells the tilt riser also for it.

And, the added adjust-ability will be welcome.

They keep quoting some UCI "angle". I thought it was height from pad to tip of extensions, not angle. Some of these TT positions I'm seeing have a LOT of extension rise from pad to the tip. Maybe I'm confused.

I'm too slow for anyone to care about that level of the rules anyway in our class.
Old 10-09-19, 10:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Are the holes for toe spikes in MTB/CX shoes the same as football/soccer cleats? I would assume so, but thought I would ask.
Old 10-09-19, 11:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

In the toes in most cross shoes. I've seen some MTB and "commuter" spd shoes without spike provisions.

The stuff like Giro Privateers and VR90's have toe spike provisions. As do your usual suspects from Lake and others.

I got a pair of VR90's on sale at like 60% off and absolutely love them. Freaking amazing shoe. I got the lace up version also. I just tuck the bow into the laces and good to roll.

They don't really flex to run, but then again, there ain't much running for obstacles in cross around here. Just a barrier setup for a few seconds per lap.
Old 10-09-19, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
In the toes in most cross shoes. I've seen some MTB and "commuter" spd shoes without spike provisions.

The stuff like Giro Privateers and VR90's have toe spike provisions. As do your usual suspects from Lake and others.

I got a pair of VR90's on sale at like 60% off and absolutely love them. Freaking amazing shoe. I got the lace up version also. I just tuck the bow into the laces and good to roll.

They don't really flex to run, but then again, there ain't much running for obstacles in cross around here. Just a barrier setup for a few seconds per lap.
Yes, I have the Privateers with the holes but no spikes. I was wondering if I could just go to Dicks or Big 5 and get some football cleats rather than specific Giro (and probably more expensive ones) from the bike shop.
Old 10-09-19, 12:17 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood the question.

Mine came with the shoes in the shoe storage bag with the tool to install them. Did you lose them or wear them out, or bought used without? I'm not sure if the threads are the same. Maybe a LBS has some sitting around somewhere.

I'd assume most soccer/football stuff now is permanently molded to the shoes. Baseball spikes are often square shaped for what digs in and aren't integral to the thread. Those are screw and spike. CX/mtb are spike and screw all together.

Soccer one may work, but maybe amazon prime some CX spikes?
Old 10-09-19, 12:57 PM
caloso

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood the question.

Mine came with the shoes in the shoe storage bag with the tool to install them. Did you lose them or wear them out, or bought used without? I'm not sure if the threads are the same. Maybe a LBS has some sitting around somewhere.

I'd assume most soccer/football stuff now is permanently molded to the shoes. Baseball spikes are often square shaped for what digs in and aren't integral to the thread. Those are screw and spike. CX/mtb are spike and screw all together.

Soccer one may work, but maybe amazon prime some CX spikes?
I've had these shoes for years, don't have the box anymore, but don't remember ever seeing any spikes or tool. I used to have screw in cleats when I played football back before the introduction of the forward pass. I guess I thought they still had screw in cleats. Maybe I'll just order the Giro ones from Amazon.
Old 10-12-19, 12:32 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Raaawwwwrrr! Pdq bars came. Forgot the Felt stem diameter was wrong. Now waiting for that for at least a week.
Old 10-12-19, 05:56 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Is there a smart trainer that doesn’t eat bearings or drive shafts? Had a Snap for two rides, recently refurbished ubit, and it’s toast. Guy is taking it back and giving me my money back.

That item in such a relatively low load should last longer than bottom brackets!

Maybe a Flux?

DC Rainmaker gushes over the Kickr products but I read a ton of problems.

Any production years finally “cleaned up” of issues? Like not buying a first model year car?
Huh, I have around 600 hrs on an old Kickr w/o a single issue. By far the best trainer I've ever used.
Old 10-17-19, 06:15 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Any experiences using bbinfinite? My bb is ****ed up because bb30 is dumb and I'd rather not have to reapply epoxy every couple of months.
Old 10-17-19, 08:40 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've had these shoes for years, don't have the box anymore, but don't remember ever seeing any spikes or tool. I used to have screw in cleats when I played football back before the introduction of the forward pass. I guess I thought they still had screw in cleats. Maybe I'll just order the Giro ones from Amazon.
Yes they are the same. I recommend picking up the metal tipped football spikes. The CX specific ones will shed mud better but are expensive
Old 10-18-19, 06:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Any experiences using bbinfinite? My bb is ****ed up because bb30 is dumb and I'd rather not have to reapply epoxy every couple of months.
Are you leaving the bearing press on for 24 hours while the Loctite cures?
Old 10-18-19, 08:43 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Are you leaving the bearing press on for 24 hours while the Loctite cures?
Yessir. Not happy.
Old 10-18-19, 01:25 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Yessir. Not happy.
You're my manitou. I had to redo the bearings on two of my bikes last month because of RATCHA RATCHA RATCHA RATCHA

The Trek mechanic was standing there watching me bathe everything in red Loctite like

Old 10-18-19, 02:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by Cypress
You're my manitou. I had to redo the bearings on two of my bikes last month because of RATCHA RATCHA RATCHA RATCHA

The Trek mechanic was standing there watching me bathe everything in red Loctite like

Bro the worst. I'm gonna try bbinfinite and see what happens.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 10-18-19, 05:42 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Ok, stems came in. Going to start shortest of the two and go from there on fit.

The freaking Aerocoach angle shims are nice, but I was a moron and didn't realize the pad mounts thread from underneath. So now, either wait on a a forum member on TT to make a new set of custom adapters, or make one myself.

Not interested in just tilting the pad rest.

I guess I'll buy some material and get to work. At least it's ride-able until I get it perfected. I'm not into bending the crap out of my bars to match a tilted armrest.
Old 10-19-19, 09:17 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. Love it so far.

I have a Red 22 carbon 165mm GXP arms paired to P2M NGeco crank, BB30 in my new S-Works Roubaix....what to do?
Popped out the CeramicSpeed BB30 bearings, pressed in the BBInfinite GXP/BB30 adapter, spins like mad. No creak, no fuss.

I even ordered the wrong one at first, got a no questions asked refund and relatively quick replacement of the right BB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.