Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dangerous Descending

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dangerous Descending

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 06:49 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
On a closed course for an organized or sanctioned event, the descending rider can use the whole road. On an open course with two-way traffic, he cannot. As another said above, "it's his skin."
I've taken my motorcycle up Pikes Peak several times.
I always get jealous when I watch the videos of the motorcycle runs in the PPIHC. They get to use the whole width of the road, and don't need to deal with oncoming traffic, nor pokey drivers doing 12mph around the hairpins.
I keep saying they need to sprinkle the course with tourists in rental cars, to make the competition more challenging.
Old 08-20-19, 04:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
That is what is taught in the MSF* Basic Rider Course.
(* Motorcycle Safety Foundation.)
Exactly. Many years ago I was an MSF Instructor here in CT.
Old 08-20-19, 08:36 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
The more i think about this it is not only his skin. i don't even know if he realized i was there until we were eye to eye.
^ That's the key.

As others have suggested, generally on any route where others are likely to be, it's highly irresponsible and reckless (even wanton) of a person to disregard all protocols, guidelines, rules, laws, in order to go just a bit faster, etc. On a closed course, of some have suggested, it's an entirely different game. But on a route where others have every right to be as well ... such recklessness is "on" him.

One of the reasons I typically ride and drive with such defensiveness. Since it's hard to know when a situation's going to find us, when we're out there. Never know what the other guy's capable of doing, or likely to do. Myself: I always imagine he's likely to drive/ride like a reckless person and not consider I might be there too. (A stance which has saved my bacon on numerous occasions, over the years, on roadways and elsewhere.)
Old 08-20-19, 01:05 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
You have to be able to fix not only your own mistakes, but the other guy's mistakes (and carelessness) as well.

What peeves me is when someone crosses a double yellow, while they're going UP the grade. Makes no sense at all, especially when I come around a blind corner flying downhill. Fortunately, downhill traffic has the right of way. Not that 5% of these yay-hoos would even know that's the law on mountain roads.
Old 08-20-19, 02:02 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Fortunately, downhill traffic has the right of way.
I don't think so.

• Uphill/downhill right-of-way only applies on steep roads where it's too narrow for two vehicles to pass.

• The vehicle facing downhill must back up to make room for the vehicle facing uphill.

"When 2 vehicles meet on a steep road where neither vehicle can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must yield the right-of-way by backing up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. The vehicle facing downhill has the greater amount of control when backing up the hill." — California Driver Handbook

Old 08-20-19, 04:39 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I don't descend on a bike like I used to. I'm no longer competing or training for competition, and my body takes a long (insert dramatic expletive here) time to recover from injuries these days. This allows me to stay on my side of the line, mostly. If I really am able to see clearly and far enough ahead, I do occasionally ride a "racing line", and push hard on the pedals.

I have also run with scissors, but not in crowds...
Cheers, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-20-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 10:34 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
This is a pretty crazy descending video. These guys post these all the time. This is Tuna Cyn, down to PCH Malibu. Not too many double yellows, but near the end they pass a Mini Cooper and a couple of other guys on bikes. I'm an old ex racer, and I get sweaty palms watching this stuff. We ride these roads fairly often, but not like this. Be careful out there.

Old 08-21-19, 10:23 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
What peeves me is when someone crosses a double yellow, while they're going UP the grade. Makes no sense at all
You can do it on a switchback to the outside to avoid the steeper grade. Not saying it's right, but it does make sense.

scott s.
Old 08-23-19, 12:39 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
This is a pretty crazy descending video. These guys post these all the time. This is Tuna Cyn, down to PCH Malibu. Not too many double yellows, but near the end they pass a Mini Cooper and a couple of other guys on bikes. I'm an old ex racer, and I get sweaty palms watching this stuff. We ride these roads fairly often, but not like this. Be careful out there.

https://youtu.be/aqo7nLObReQ
I think vol 1 was even more hair raising than vol 2. The guy in Vol 1 was seriously leaning like a motorcyclist.
Old 08-25-19, 09:40 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

https://youtu.be/aqo7nLObReQ
Good thing the car at 3:14 wasn't where the bicyclist went at 3:07.

Cheers
Old 08-25-19, 11:24 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
In both lanes, in and out of shadow with dark clothing.... What could possibly go wrong?!
Old 08-25-19, 11:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Yeah, but this is Malibu. If they hit a car, it'll be someone like Jack Nicholson or Peter Fonda coming home from a party. And if alcohol or drugs are involved, the cyclists might all get nice new bikes and a pocketful of hush money.

I think if I were a cop, and saw those clowns speeding like that, it would definitely get my attention, and some citations would be written. YouTube really ought to take videos like this down, when innocent people's lives are put at risk, just to get views on the internet. There are some videos of people on bikes speeding through Mexico City (which I will not link to) where lives are definitely put at risk. This kind of stuff needs to stop, IMO.
Old 08-25-19, 11:44 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
Yeah, but this is Malibu. If they hit a car, it'll be someone like Jack Nicholson or Peter Fonda coming home from a party. And if alcohol or drugs are involved, the cyclists might all get nice new bikes and a pocketful of hush money.
You don't want to mess with Jack!
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...e-of-road-rage
Old 08-25-19, 11:51 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

There's not a jury in the world that would convict the man, if he used his acting skills in court to tell his side of the story to the jury. He'd have had them in tears:

Nicholson later expressed regret about the incident in an interview with Us Magazine, calling it “a shameful incident in my life.” He explained that a close friend had recently died, and that he had also been under a good deal of stress during the shooting of his most recent movie, The Crossing Guard.
Old 08-27-19, 09:54 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
This isn't ridiculously dangerous. Most of the ride is around 30mph with some faster sections. They seem to be very much in control and are not "towing the line" on all the corners. The places where they do take their half out of the middle it looks like they have pretty good sight lines through or leading up to the curves.

There were some sketchy parts toward the bottom but they still fully brake and give verbal alerts to riders they descend upon and were very much in control when they passed the cooper that seemed to be cautiously slow after passing the other cyclist.

I've got regular descents @ 40+mph and have no problems with taking the lane if I am around the speed limit and there are no cars coming up behind me.

Senseless to take the other lane on hairpins or your half out of the middle if there is even a remote chance in hell (as that's where you'll probably end up) that there could be an oncoming vehicle.

-Sean
Old 08-28-19, 12:01 AM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I think vol 1 was even more hair raising than vol 2. The guy in Vol 1 was seriously leaning like a motorcyclist.
It's because he's an ex-pro motorcyclist
Old 08-28-19, 06:09 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Probably an ex-living, ex-pro motorcyclist by now.

Old 08-29-19, 12:34 AM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Probably an ex-living, ex-pro motorcyclist by now.
That's always a possibility. He's very talented on a motorcycle. You can see it translates into his cycling. I would never descend at that rate even if I could, but that's what seperates us.