Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-22-19, 01:47 AM
gammy13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

Anyone have thoughts? Who's buying these things?
Likes For gammy13:
Old 08-22-19, 05:17 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
If you have secure parking @ work, why not have a nice bike if you've got a jones for one?

Old 08-22-19, 05:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by gammy13
I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me.
This would not be the same for everyone
Old 08-22-19, 05:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Why not? People buy what they want for their personal reasons. A few years ago I went to the Philly Bike Expo. The guy who built my custom ti road bike had a booth there. One of the bikes on display was a 1x commuter with a rear rack and fenders ordered by a customer. More power to you if you can afford a custom Engin ti solely for commuting. The frame alone (sans fork) was probably over $4K.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-19, 05:43 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tcs
If you have secure parking @ work, why not have a nice bike if you've got a jones for one?

Nice perk. Are they hiring?
Old 08-22-19, 06:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Some like to ride a nice bike to work in the same way that some like to drive a nice car to work.

Not everyone lives in places like New York City where bikes need to be left unattended and theft is likely. I used to bring my bike into my office.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-22-19, 06:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

Originally Posted by tcs
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why not? People buy what they want for their personal reasons…

More power to you if you can afford a custom Engin ti solely for commuting. The frame alone (sans fork) was probably over $4K.
I have an $8K Specialized S-Works (bought half off) that I use for a one-way 14 mile commute on the mean streets of Boston, with secure parking @ work. I bought it after a severe cycling accident.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Do you tell strangers how much your bike costs?"...

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption.

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.
Originally Posted by Rowan
… Performance in this context does not mean outright speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance.

But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride, handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 08-22-19, 06:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting.
That's entry-level e-bike territory.
Likes For tcs:
Old 08-22-19, 06:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

Free your mind, and your bike will follow.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-22-19, 06:33 AM
rollalongnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The same kind people buying $5-10k road bikes. I can see sub $1k to $1.2k commuters for the better components, but a carbon $2k flatbar commuter bike is just silly.
Old 08-22-19, 06:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

~ $1300 after selling the original wheelset.

This is about 4 years ago. And the photo doesn't count the panniers and handlebar bag that I already had. My daily commuter. Theft is a non-concern in my work situation, so why not enjoy a comfortable and trouble-free ride to work?

It now sports a Gyes GS-17A laced trimmed skirt leather saddle and Schwalbe Marathon Plus 35 tires. Plus a forward light mount above the mudguard. It's a rugged beast.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-22-19, 06:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

That vault doesn't look secure enough. It needs to have a time lock, retinal scanner, laser grid, and at least one heavily armed guard with attack dog.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-22-19, 07:17 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

Around here, most people I've seen that ride commuter bikes in the price range you mention are college educated professionals with the income to live in nice neighborhoods and drive a BMW or Lexus to work on bad weather days. So, a commuter bike like that fits in their budget pretty easily, I'd imagine.

As far as security, the companies these people tend to work for have bicycle racks inside of locked cages out of the weather.
Old 08-22-19, 07:24 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
In the United States, we're a consumer based economy with approximately 70% of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP) dependent on consumer transactions. Of course, bicycles are a tiny portion of all that but with everyone trying to pry money out of everyone else's pockets, creating reasons for spending more on everything is a key part of it. Why drink a cup of coffee at home when you can spend $4 or more at a coffee shop? Same with a $100 bike or a $500 bike or a $1500 bike for commuting. The $100 bike will do the job for many people, as will the more expensive bikes. Plus, you get a nicer ride....to a point....when you spend more money. Your Cannondale is a fine commuter ride and your bike shop was happy to sell it to you. They'll gladly sell you a different and more expensive ride. Choice is a wonderful thing! Enjoy your ride but, if it doesn't meet your needs, you can always look for something different--not necessarily more expensive, but different.
Likes For honcho:
Old 08-22-19, 07:24 AM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends on the commute, right?

I have a well-employed friend who commutes 18 miles through the NW Boston suburbs each way every day. 36 miles a day is plenty and a nice bike is a lot cheaper than a crappy car. That commute calls for a different bike than someone commuting 12 city-blocks to a downtown office building.

OTOH, my wife worked in Leiden for a year and commuted (like almost everyone else) on a bike that was about $89.

And . . . who cares if the manufacturers call something a "commuter". Everyone should still buy the bike(s) they'll ride.
Likes For sfh:
Old 08-22-19, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

People have different needs/wants/resources/commutes/bike storage arrangements so they have different buying preferences.

I like riding the hell out of relatively inexpensive bikes and the marginal improvements you can get for spending a lot more don't seem worth it to me. I also think the reduced fear of theft allows me more flexibility in my bike use. Judging whether people who choose to spend more get their money's worth is really not my department. I can only say it doesn't interest me.

You happy with the bike you have? That's the only important question.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-19, 07:38 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts

People do things. A lot of people are wracking their brains trying to figure out why anyone would live in an expensive place like NYC.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 08-22-19, 07:46 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It's a rugged beast.
Too bad it has disc brakes. Otherwise, I would give it a "Hot!"
Old 08-22-19, 07:51 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by rollalongnow
The same kind people buying $5-10k road bikes. I can see sub $1k to $1.2k commuters for the better components, but a carbon $2k flatbar commuter bike is just silly.
I use my new $2k+ full-carbon flatbar road bike to ride to/from work most weekdays, because

-- I am able to bring it directly into my office when I arrive at work (0 theft risk);
-- it is my main bike, and I like riding it; and
-- my rides to and from work are an integral part of my cycling; I will often, on nice days, extend my ride home by an hour or so.

This winter, once the season shuts down (ice/snow) for me, I plan to make changes to it to suit my preferences that will push it up to and possibly past the $3k mark. I will continue to ride it to and from work, as well as for my long rides on the weekends.

In fact, reading this thread and posting this inspires me to try to push my bike into the "$5-10K" range (a nice SRAM Axs wireless electronic drivetrain switch might do it), so that I can be thought of not only as "just silly" but also as one of 'those' people.
Old 08-22-19, 07:59 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
1. They're nicer to ride, especially over the 32 mile average daily round trip to commute.

2. A nice one for $3000 costs 1/10th the average new commuter car, and 1/30th to 1/40th a nice commuter car like a Tesla Model S P85D (four times faster than a Ferrari, because it's allowed to use California HOV lanes during rush hour).

I used to commute on my Litespeed titanium road bike with Campagnolo Record gruppo, carbon fiber brake levers, power meter, dynamo light, and rack.

Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.
Parked in your office or locked bike room it's not going to be stolen.

I prefer driving my German sports sedan, and going for a nice bike ride before work. 24 stop lights and 10 stop signs in 13 miles ruined bike commuting for me. With highways, it's 11 and 2 with infrequent stops at consecutive lights because they're timed for traffic traveling at the speed limit.

No one would bat an eye at that if my car hadn't weathered over the 19 years I've been driving it.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-22-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 08:52 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
I didn't have any problem spending $1200 building a commuter.
Got everything I wanted. It gets used for more than commuting as well.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-22-19, 08:57 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Seriously? You're really racking your brain worrying about what other people spend on a bicycle? I would worry more about that.

Last edited by Ogsarg; 08-22-19 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 08-22-19, 08:59 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts

You're asking the perennial pointless, dead-end question: why do other people spend their money differently than I do?
Old 08-22-19, 09:14 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I spent what I did because I wanted a bike that can handle my commute and bikepacking trips. Depending on the route to/from work I ride 18-21 miles. 6 to 11 is gravel, if I do the 11 option 3 is on extremely poor condition gravel. Once I get home I may load up the bike for a bikepacking trip without changing anything on the bike beyond adding a couple bags. Theft is not an issue at my office. Most importantly there's no way I could ever be convinced to live in NYC. I prefer a rural life of dodging deer, bear, coyotes and other wildlife.
Likes For Wolfhaven:
Old 08-22-19, 09:25 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Wolfhaven
Once I get home I may load up the bike for a bikepacking trip without changing anything on the bike beyond adding a couple bags.
Good point. I tour and commute on my Surly LHT. Dual purpose. Don't have to change a thing other than slap on the bags and tent. And while I live in Philly, I am not worried about theft. I use a very good lock and 100s of people walk by my bike every few minutes so the chances that someone is going to fire up a grinder with its shower of spark are extremely slim and none.

As for dodging bears, I had to do that back in June :

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.