Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kestrel warranty, now that Performance...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 11:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

I've been eyeing a Kestrel Legend SL (Ultegra) at my local Performance shop. The price is dropping and I've been playing around with the idea of picking it up. In light of the bankruptcy, is there any expectation as to getting warranty repair if needed? I understand Performance will not honor the warranty.

I probably already know that I'm SOL, I just wanted to ask.
Old 01-09-19, 12:54 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
My understanding, having recently purchased a Fuji from Performance, is that the bike brands will still be intact, it's just the brick and mortar stores that are closing. Supposedly the warranties are still valid, but I have a feeling that making a claim without a store to work through is going to be difficult. I bought mine before all the bankruptcy stuff started, if I were shopping now, I'd probably get something else, but I would have ended up paying more for a 105 bike, instead of what I paid for Ultegra. That being said, I have about 1,500 miles on my Fuji and I'm very happy with it, so hopefully there will be no need to use the warranty.
Old 01-09-19, 02:18 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
According to Bicycle Retailer, the brands that Performance has such as Fui, Kestrel, etc. are being auctioned off. If there are no buyers, they could go the way of the dinosaur.
Old 08-24-19, 10:20 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I'll be testing the waters of a frame replacement on my Kestrel RT1000. I took my bike to the LBS for new handlebar tape and a wheel truing and the mechanic discovered a small longitudinal crack in the seat tube. I'll be going through drawers to find my original 5 YO receipt and calling ASI / Performance on Monday. I tried to call the 800 customer service number on the Performance website but there's no answer. I was thinking of buying a new bike with the thought I would have 2 what was I thinking? Now I have to get a frame replaced or wait until next year since every mfr. of bikes only ever makes 2 bikes in the largest size and they get purchased in February. Oh well
Old 08-25-19, 12:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TKJava
I'll be testing the waters of a frame replacement on my Kestrel RT1000. I took my bike to the LBS for new handlebar tape and a wheel truing and the mechanic discovered a small longitudinal crack in the seat tube. I'll be going through drawers to find my original 5 YO receipt and calling ASI / Performance on Monday. I tried to call the 800 customer service number on the Performance website but there's no answer. I was thinking of buying a new bike with the thought I would have 2 what was I thinking? Now I have to get a frame replaced or wait until next year since every mfr. of bikes only ever makes 2 bikes in the largest size and they get purchased in February. Oh well
How long does a kestrel warranty last?
Old 08-25-19, 12:58 PM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TKJava
I don't think performance will be able to help you. They're owned by amaincycling now. Fuji and Kestrel are owned by tiger holdings. I'd contact kestrel directly.

John