Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

USA streaming options?

Old 07-06-19, 06:55 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
USA streaming options?

Every year we have this discussion so I figured let me be the one who asks. Does anyone pay the 55 dollars for streaming through nbc gold anymore? I’ve been watching for years using my iPad. I even remember when the app was ten bucks. Now it’s 55! I know there are other races but they are much harder for me to make time for so I’m really just buying for the Tour and the Vuelta.

Nbc is painful. It’s commercials with a little bike racing in between. And with all the side commentaries and interruptions you almost don’t see any of the race.

Is nbc gold the only option? I don’t mind paying for something but 55 is too much.
Old 07-06-19, 10:00 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
You can buy a VPN service and then put yourself in Europe and watch on Eurosport, I think still for free. Or maybe Canada (Flo Bikes) but I'm not sure how the service signup will work, you may need a point main in Canada to validate the subscription.

If you use the NBCSN app you have an option for viewing the commercial free stream or the more highly produced one. I don't know who the two guys are this year, I listened for a few minutes, I think it's Robbie McEwen and someone else. In previous years, that feed didn't put out any of the interviews, special features, etc. that are one the feed with Paul, Bob, S2C2, Jens, Porino, et al. So it's a coin flip.
Old 07-06-19, 01:55 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I pay for NBC Sports Gold but certainly watch more than the TdF. I'll watch the TdF, then the Vuelta in August, the World Championships in September and probably some of the Cyclos-Cross races in the winter. The Tour down Under and then Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya can pique my interest and finally Paris-Roubaix, La Fleche Wallonne & L-B-L certainly help me to justify $55/year.

Oh...I'll even watch some of the track cycling.

We don't have cable, so NBCSN isn't an option.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-06-19, 03:39 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by slcbob
You can buy a VPN service and then put yourself in Europe and watch on Eurosport, I think still for free. Or maybe Canada (Flo Bikes) but I'm not sure how the service signup will work, you may need a point main in Canada to validate the subscription.

If you use the NBCSN app you have an option for viewing the commercial free stream or the more highly produced one. I don't know who the two guys are this year, I listened for a few minutes, I think it's Robbie McEwen and someone else. In previous years, that feed didn't put out any of the interviews, special features, etc. that are one the feed with Paul, Bob, S2C2, Jens, Porino, et al. So it's a coin flip.
I actually tried a free limited VPN this morning and got Eurosport so I might spring for a month on a good VPN for 12 bucks. They had commercials but not all the other special features nbc shows that keeps you from seeing the actual race. That’s why I like the ad free stream.

So I’m thinking it’s the way to go. I wish I could justify buying the 55 dollar package but this past year I just didn’t watch that much. I’m a teacher who’s off in the summer so once we get back to school the bike race watching doesn’t happen. Although I keep up on the racing sites.
Old 07-06-19, 04:34 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I used StrongVPN when I was overseas and it worked well. Came recommended by many.
Old 07-06-19, 08:52 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by slcbob
I used StrongVPN when I was overseas and it worked well. Came recommended by many.
Thanks I’ll check that out.
Old 07-08-19, 08:00 AM
DLBroox

VPN is definitely the way to go for me. Australia is showing the ad free feed with limited network commercials. And I really like Mathew and Robbie. So I’m happy now! Thanks for the help.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 07-08-19, 11:25 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ but don't they show that in the middle of the night down there? What a PITA!

Glad it works.

Two notes while I see them, just in case they are in play for you in the future or another thread creeper:

- when I said NBCSN app, that's the app you use now to watch NBC Sports Gold package. Whether you have cable or not. By the way, you'd have to turn off your VPN, or relocate it to US, for that to work due to geofencing.

- Flobikes is promising. It is app only. No browser streaming at the moment. That would bug me if I didn't use Roku, but as it is, I like it. Just not for the ASO races, so I pay to play with NBC Gold.
Old 07-08-19, 11:39 AM
ttusomeone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NBC Sports Gold is well worth it to me (I'm another who doesn't have cable). I love the commercial free broadcast with Robbie and Matthew. On the weekdays, I'll watch the last 20km or so. Same for the Vuelta. When you include the others races it's well worth it.

I also have Flobikes because I wanted to watch some of the early season classics and also the Giro.
Old 07-28-19, 07:58 AM
sofaman

Bikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial 64cm; Basso Ascot 62cm; 2018 Giant TCR KOM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Another vote for Robbie and Matthew. To me, they are considerably better than the NBC "stars". No dig against Roll, but Robbie and Matthew provide soooo much more accurate and in-depth knowledge of the sport. It's like listening to two Aussie mates hanging out having a good time over a beer recalling their racing days while calling the race. Great stuff. Oh, yeah, Vuelta: in the past few years it's been better than the Tour (maybe not this time around, we'll see). World Championships, Spring Classics, Cyclocross. Also, Anthony McCrossen does a great job when Robbie and Matt are off. $55 is a lot, but it's my one sports purchase. Oh, I play it at work. Even the boring flat sections are glorious. I want to retire to France now!