Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Two bikers down

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Two bikers down

Old 07-20-19, 02:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Amen on both directions... far too many times as a pedestrian would I see some dunderhead determined to make a right turn onto a road who would crane their neck looking left, and would NEVER look right. Sure, as a ped, I could see this and just stop and wait for mr stupid to continue. But it does point out that mr stupid never even bothered to look.
As a pedestrian, if I have a choice, at a curb cut, I will walk behind #1 car, or between #1 & #2 cars.

It cuts down on the risk a lot, at least I think so.

I realize that isn't always practical with heavily built up alleys.

Of course, also not as practical for bicycles, even on sidewalks and crosswalks.
Old 07-24-19, 12:39 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
The right to arm yourself with an automobile.... I blame the state DMVs... they keep giving incomptent gas holes licenses....
Sometimes (like in AZ), they were perfectly competent drivers when they got their license, but it's been 30 years or more since they've been tested. Seriously, I got my AZ DL around 92. It expires in 2035.....
Old 07-24-19, 02:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Sometimes (like in AZ), they were perfectly competent drivers when they got their license, but it's been 30 years or more since they've been tested. Seriously, I got my AZ DL around 92. It expires in 2035.....
In Oregon, renewed every 8 years, but no retesting.

Several laws and road markings have changed since I got my license.

They should require retesting every 5 years after age 65.... except "age descriminazation"
Old 07-24-19, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
let me start that i'm not blaming the cyclists here, but just offering my take based on the info provided here.

being a regular commuting cyclist in rush hour settings has solidified my instincts to be hyper-alert and to assume that EVERY vehicle i see is going to do something stupid. so, on the 90 degree pull-out, i make sure i'm ready to react in an instant. i have to wonder if these cyclists were alert and ready to react to someone pulling out from a parking lot, which by the way, didn't look to be concealed in any way. again, i'm certainly not blaming them, but unless the driver came flying out of the parking lot, they should have been aware and ready to react.
No idea why this happened here, but I can say the closest calls I've had in this situation have come up when a car has puled to a complete stop in the driveway and I've gone forward when they suddenly start going while I'm right in front of them. The stop gives you the impression that they are definitely paying attention to you, and it comes as a complete surprise when they are not. I've been really lucky in this situation, but it hasn't been by much.

It's very easy to say they wouldn't get you because of your technique, but when you encounter someone really doing something completely unpredictable like that, it's really luck of the draw whether you're going to get hit.
Old 07-24-19, 05:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
The right to arm yourself with an automobile.... I blame the state DMVs... they keep giving incomptent gas holes licenses....
I doubt many people who are not already members of your car-free choir will give a darn who you blame or what you think about the DMV or anything else when you resort to this kind of emotional anti-motorist rhetoric.
Old 07-24-19, 09:59 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I doubt many people who are not already members of your car-free choir will give a darn who you blame or what you think about the DMV or anything else when you resort to this kind of emotional anti-motorist rhetoric.
The simple fact is the motorist mowed them down. By not being attentive enough and breaking the right of way laws. Because the motorist hit something other than a car, they may not face any charges. This is all to common. Bicyclists get frustrated at situations like this and verbally strike out on forums. I have called motorists Batman and have asked them if they got there license in a cracker jack box.