Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should MIPS be mandatory?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Should MIPS be mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-19, 07:22 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Lawyers attempting to increase the price of cycling helmets, discouraging their use.
Old 08-16-19, 12:14 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Having crashed several times and being hit by a 35mph car from behind once, it is my opinion the MIPS technology may be a bit overstated in real world necessity. Nasty crashes in races and on the mountain bike the head never hit the ground. My son was hit broadside by a car and the back of his head (with helmet) hit the ground. No twisting action at all in any of the crashes I have been in or have seen others in at the races, or in my son's situation.

Personal choice is big with me and I will always choose a non-MIPS helmet.
Old 08-16-19, 12:58 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I love MIPS. I just bought a leftover specialized airnet for sixty bucks that the dealer had to discount 60% because it didn't have MIPS. I had to get a new helmet because I had a bad crash last week wearing another old helmet that didn't have MIPS.
Old 08-17-19, 05:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I love MIPS. I just bought a leftover specialized airnet for sixty bucks that the dealer had to discount 60% because it didn't have MIPS. I had to get a new helmet because I had a bad crash last week wearing another old helmet that didn't have MIPS.
Depending upon the outcome of this thread, you may have to redo the crash with a MIPS helmet.
Old 08-17-19, 06:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I looked at a MIPS helmet at Target today. There was a piece of thin clear plastic, with some kind of elastomer between the plastic and the rest of the helmet.

My impressions were: Will this interfere with ventilation? How long will it last? How will it hold up at -20 degrees F, where many plastics become brittle? Also, the men's MIPS helmet was black, and I think that all things considered, I'd go for more visibility than for the touted benefits of MIPS.

Also, I have hair between my head and the helmet. Won't that provide the same benefit as MIPS?

I'd be all in for technologies that result in a evidence based safety improvement for cyclists, that don't discourage cycling.