Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sunrace wide range cassette compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-05-19, 11:40 AM
Leatherfeathers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am having a really hard time finding information about sunrace cassette compatibility. I'm building a touring bike out of a 26 inch Gary fisher and the plan is to use drop bars, 1x drivetrain, and a wide range cassette. Sunrace seems to be the only option for the range that I'm looking for.

I would like to use a sram 10 speed apex brifter with a mountain derailleur (probably the gx with the clutch) and a sunrace wide range cassette. I know that the shifter and derailleur are compatible but I can't find anything about what sunrace cassettes.

Do sram and shimano cassettes use the same cable pull? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-05-19, 01:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I suspect the real issue you will encounter is the big cog capability of your derailleur. The more teeth and the bigger the cog more likely the rear derailleur will have to be repositioned to clear it. Those hardware parts are easily available but I don't have any experience with them.
Old 08-05-19, 02:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out Microshift too. Good values. I have one of their 8-speed cassettes, an 11-32, on my hybrid, and 7-speed brifters on one road bike. They work fine, no problems.
Old 08-05-19, 06:52 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Leatherfeathers
I am having a really hard time finding information about sunrace cassette compatibility. I'm building a touring bike out of a 26 inch Gary fisher and the plan is to use drop bars, 1x drivetrain, and a wide range cassette. Sunrace seems to be the only option for the range that I'm looking for.

I would like to use a sram 10 speed apex brifter with a mountain derailleur (probably the gx with the clutch) and a sunrace wide range cassette. I know that the shifter and derailleur are compatible but I can't find anything about what sunrace cassettes.

Do sram and shimano cassettes use the same cable pull? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you asking if Sunrace cassettes use the same spacing as a sram or shimano cassette? Also cassettes do not define cable pull; its shifter cable pull x derailleur shift ratio = cassette spacing. This article at Arts Cyclery is really good and may answer your question (https://www.artscyclery.com/science-...compatibility/)
Old 08-05-19, 07:10 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
Are you asking if Sunrace cassettes use the same spacing as a sram or shimano cassette? Also cassettes do not define cable pull; its shifter cable pull x derailleur shift ratio = cassette spacing. This article at Arts Cyclery is really good and may answer your question (https://www.artscyclery.com/science-...compatibility/)

I meant spacing. Sorry. Thank you for the link. However, I read the article and it shows the information I need about sram 10 speed "exact actuation" components but I still can't find any information about sunrace cassette spacing.
Old 08-05-19, 07:14 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I suspect the real issue you will encounter is the big cog capability of your derailleur. The more teeth and the bigger the cog more likely the rear derailleur will have to be repositioned to clear it. Those hardware parts are easily available but I don't have any experience with them.
I intend on using a long cage rear derailleur. The combination I'm considering is an 11-42 and the GX type 2.1 clutch derailleur which should work just fine. I'm just not sure about whether shifting will work properly with the sunrace's cog spacing. I can't find any information about this.
Old 08-05-19, 07:16 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Check out Microshift too. Good values. I have one of their 8-speed cassettes, an 11-32, on my hybrid, and 7-speed brifters on one road bike. They work fine, no problems.
I'm not concerned with the brand but I'm not sure about microshift having a cassette with the range I'm looking for.
Old 08-05-19, 07:45 PM
Retro Grouch 

I intend on using a long cage rear derailleur. The combination I'm considering is an 11-42 and the GX type 2.1 clutch derailleur which should work just fine. I'm just not sure about whether shifting will work properly with the sunrace's cog spacing. I can't find any information about this.
Cage length mainly has to do with chain wrap capacity. That's probably not going to be an issue with a 1X.

Big cog capacity has to do with where the top pulley sits relative to the cassette. I just checked the specs on that particular derailleur,. It's only rated for a 36t big cog. I'm thinking you are going to need a Wolf Tooth or something similar to space the derailleur away from that 42 cog.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 08-05-19 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 10:26 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
To actually answer the question YES the 10 speed sunrace cassette uses the same spacing as 10 speed sram and shimano cassettes.
Old 08-05-19, 10:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
All of the 1x MTB derailleurs have about the same leverage, and they all can share the same cassettes. So all you need to do about speeds is match shifter to cassette. You can look at production bikes for examples. But pay attention, @Retro Grouch above is right about capacity. If you want to use a 42t cassette you need a big derailleur. An old Nx10-speed derailleur will likely peak out at 36 or 40.

Shimano SLX M7000 is a great deal.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-05-19, 11:33 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
SunRace 10 speed cassettes use the same spacing as Shimano and SRAM 10 speed cassettes (SRAM has long used the Shimano spacing to maintain compatibility - Campagnolo has their own spacing). Bsut SunRace 10 speed cassettes are only compatible with Shimano HG splined freehubs; they do not fit SRAM HD drives. SRAM derailleurs are generally compatible but Shimano derailleurs may require a longer B-tension screw for the larger cogs.
Old 08-08-19, 02:50 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cage length mainly has to do with chain wrap capacity. That's probably not going to be an issue with a 1X.

Big cog capacity has to do with where the top pulley sits relative to the cassette. I just checked the specs on that particular derailleur,. It's only rated for a 36t big cog. I'm thinking you are going to need a Wolf Tooth or something similar to space the derailleur away from that 42 cog.
I've been looking at the goat link but it says it's not compatible with sram drivetrains. Do you have any experience with that?
Old 08-08-19, 02:54 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
SunRace 10 speed cassettes use the same spacing as Shimano and SRAM 10 speed cassettes (SRAM has long used the Shimano spacing to maintain compatibility - Campagnolo has their own spacing). Bsut SunRace 10 speed cassettes are only compatible with Shimano HG splined freehubs; they do not fit SRAM HD drives. SRAM derailleurs are generally compatible but Shimano derailleurs may require a longer B-tension screw for the larger cogs.
Awesome, thank you. The wheel I'm using and the cassette I'm thinking of buying uses a Shimano freehub so should be fine there.
Old 08-08-19, 02:54 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
To actually answer the question YES the 10 speed sunrace cassette uses the same spacing as 10 speed sram and shimano cassettes.
Hahaha thanks.
Old 08-09-19, 06:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

I've been looking at the goat link but it says it's not compatible with sram drivetrains. Do you have any experience with that?
Nope. 36t is as big as our cassettes go.

Sorry to bring up another problem rather than a solution but it's always better to know even if the facts aren't what we want to hear.
Old 08-09-19, 01:13 PM
Canker

With a 10 speed Sram RD you most likely won't have a problem running a 11-42, Shimano is the one that is iffy. I have a 10 speed Sram bike setup with a Sunrace 11-42 right now which I did no modifications too.
Old 08-09-19, 01:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

With a 10 speed Sram RD you most likely won't have a problem running a 11-42, Shimano is the one that is iffy. I have a 10 speed Sram bike setup with a Sunrace 11-42 right now which I did no modifications too.
But what specific rear derailleur do you have? Some Sram derailleurs are rated for 42 (and even larger rear cogs) and some aren't.
Old 08-09-19, 02:09 PM
wnylogo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this will help you since I am running a 28/44 dbl in front, but I have a wolftooth link with sunrace11-40t cassette with sram.
Old 08-09-19, 02:42 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wnylogo
I don't know if this will help you since I am running a 28/44 dbl in front, but I have a wolftooth link with sunrace11-40t cassette with sram.
That helps a lot. I have an older apex 2x10 Rd that I could gift this bike.
Old 08-10-19, 04:08 AM
Canker

But what specific rear derailleur do you have? Some Sram derailleurs are rated for 42 (and even larger rear cogs) and some aren't.
Are any of the 10 speed RDs rated to handle a 42? I'm not going to look up specs but I don't think so. The one I'm running is an old as dirt X0 non-clutched mountain 10 speed which I'm am 99% sure is rated to max out at 36. Again the Sram 10 speed mountain RDs will generally work fine rated for it or not with a 42. Generally doesn't mean always it means most of the time. OP won't know for sure though until OP tries it. If OP is one of the really unlucky few that it won't work for then you can always go the roadlink route.
Old 08-11-19, 10:09 PM
Leatherfeathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are any of the 10 speed RDs rated to handle a 42? I'm not going to look up specs but I don't think so. The one I'm running is an old as dirt X0 non-clutched mountain 10 speed which I'm am 99% sure is rated to max out at 36. Again the Sram 10 speed mountain RDs will generally work fine rated for it or not with a 42. Generally doesn't mean always it means most of the time. OP won't know for sure though until OP tries it. If OP is one of the really unlucky few that it won't work for then you can always go the roadlink route.
my other idea was to use an apex 1 that is supposed to be able to handle a 42tooth cassette. Sram says that it's 10 and 11 speed compatable.