Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Old 08-23-19, 11:32 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfhaven
You don't judge people yet this is nothing but a post passing judgment on anyone that doesn't agree with you as foolish, stupid and lazy. I don't know you but I have passed judgment on you with this single post.
Likewise! Thanks for the heads-up! Have a great weekend! I like your bike!

Sry, "bike(s)"
Old 08-23-19, 12:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
If a commuter bike is ones primary transportation for work and saves you from buying a 2'nd recent model car for $10,000+ that might costs another $300 - 400 a month to operate and insure, I Don't consider $1,000 - 2,000 US (with accessories) and just $10/month for maintenance to be excessive for a new bike.

A bit more then I would spend though considering you don't have, at least from Giant if you want a safe, Reliable and comfortable new bike...
Here's another accounting trick to justify the cost.
Originally Posted by Lov2hurdle
I’m a month old new commuter green as grass .56 haven’t biked sense 7gd dirt bike.

Been a track & football coach 30yrs .seen kid buy shoes and equipment looking for performance.great gains only come to those with great talent and potential, but most proud of those with great determination and desire.i’ve seen new thing motivate those individuals in-spite of ability work harder and become the best they can be, surprising them selves and other .

So if you can afford it and it motivates you to work harder do it
Originally Posted by bradyweb
I'm with you on this. If new shiny things encourage us to work more often and work harder then that counts for something.

And just maybe that new shiny thing will be slightly more efficient and create gains on it's own if we are lucky. I'm now just waiting on my new Bianchi Infinito to arrive. Can't wait.

Best of luck to you! I'm sure you will make some positive change happen.
So, here’s one way to think about the price you pay; you get a discount the more you ride:
Originally Posted by rm -rf
My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.”

Some riders ride a lot.

It's easy to ride 250 hours a year, and not unusual to ride 400 hours or more. That's 1250 to 2000 hours over 5 years.

Bike consumables, including tires, chains, cassettes, cables, and bar tape add up. And shorts, gloves, energy bars, event rides, and other bike related items. It's easy for these to add up to at least $100 per year, and more likely $200 or $300. That's $500 to $1500 over 5 years.

So an expensive bike's cost seems more reasonable over time. A $7000 bike ridden 2000 hours is $3.50 an hour. A $2000 bike is $1.00 an hour. So that doesn't sound so bad. Although cost per mile does seem high. At 15 mph average, 30,000 miles, the $7000 bike is 23 cents a mile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that a bike that's double what "I" paid (whatever the amount!) is often the point where the bike seems excessively expensive. One that's 30% or 50% higher kind of makes sense as a "nice bike".
I posted earlier on this thread about my $8K MSRP (bought half off):
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-23-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
that's a lot of lock for all of that then....

and my point remains the same. your locks are pointless locked like that.
Your point is noted and will receive all the consideration that it deserves.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-23-19, 01:12 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Your point is noted and will receive all the consideration that it deserves.
I suppose if I had to use locks and cables on my bicycle even after secured and locked doors, I'd have an attitude too.
Old 08-23-19, 08:54 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Maybe someone has already answered with this accounting reason - here goes:
I ride quite a distance every year on my bike commuting. Multiplying these miles times the cost of driving the same distance has allowed me to amortize my bike over the last couple of years.
Old 08-23-19, 09:57 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
This is a great thread. I just found myself wondering whether I’d feel differently about it had I paid nothing for my bikes, like if they were gifted to me would I tell anybody? Lot of social pressure to have “the best of the best”, “no expense spared”, “no compromise”, etc etc etc.

But honestly, if you ride a bike at all, you’re a dork. A big old dork.

“ ... take my commute to the next level ...” has to be near the top of the dorkiest things I’ve ever heard a bike dork say. I may have said it, too.
Old 08-24-19, 01:37 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
After they walk past the security guard, go in through a key card door, up an elevator, walk through the garage, and into the bike room through a second keycard door, sure. And you’d have to carry it on to the elevator or down the stairs with the u-lock through the rear wheel and triangle.

I suppose it’s possible, but not likely.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 08-24-19, 06:29 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
The way I see it a decent new accessorized commuter bike can be had for $1,000 to 1,500 US. If price is a problem do what car buyers do, Buy used. Probably for $100 - 300 after some tweaks would get a perfectly usable bike for commuting. In much the same way a new midrange CUV like the Chey Equinox might set you back $25,000 US. For $2,500 - 5,000 you might find a used car to suit your purpose.

If you think new bike's are expensive, Try buying a new family cabin cruiser. $250,000+ will get a nice one, But nothing special. I could have bought my friends 29' Wellcraft SunCruiser for $5,000, Put $5,000 into it and had a beautiful, Reliable family cruiser. If it wasn't for that small detail of feeding those 2 x 5.7L 260 hp MerCruiser engines.

The $1,200 one might spend on fuel alone for ONE weekend would buy a very nice fully accessorized commuting bike.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-24-19 at 06:55 AM. Reason: inaproate
Old 08-24-19, 09:27 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
My late step-father built his own recumbent for commuting to the US Dept. of State (he was a Foreign Service Officer). It was an EZ-Racer, like that shown below (only his was Yellow. He bought the aerospace Cromoly from Aircraft Spruce and had the things welded). One advantage: I don't think thieves know what to make of these things. Certainly harder to get rid of as the market is smaller.

Old 08-24-19, 09:38 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
1 nut say 9/16 th and that rack comes apart. and your bike walks away.
A couple of rounded 9/16 nuts and a small tube of LocTite red threadlocker and the nut removal problem could be minimized or a least reduced. Facility services might end up being torqued about having to deal with this later when they move the bike rack, but...

That said, a bike that expensive out in the open air. It's like tying a pork chop around your kids neck to get the dog to play with him: It's gonna attract a lot of attention.

*From a series of "You're so ugly/your momma" jokes: "Your so ugly your momma had to tie a pork chop around your neck to get the dog to play with you".
Old 08-24-19, 11:24 AM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
When I commuted I had nice bikes because I had secure parking at each end and I rode what I already owned. Why spend more money to suffer on a cheap beater when I could ride something light fast and comfortable that I had already paid for. My bike commute budget went to better gear and running costs since I used up some chains, tires and brakes.
Old 08-24-19, 02:51 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
I'll assume that by commuter, OP is really talking about flat bar/hybrids.

I think someone riding a Wally World bike would say the same to the OP that he is saying to people spending $2k on flat bars.

That said, I personally think there is a price point beyond which a general purpose/hybrid/flat bar/commuter bike just doesn't make much sense, and that is a price point - to me - of somewhere around $800, maybe $1000 at absolute most - usually at the higher end of the alloy spectrum before the carbon switchover. I have a $2500 road bike and an $800 alloy hybrid, and the hybrid is just at such an absolute sweet spot in terms of weight/performance/quality/reliability/price for its purpose - I couldn't be happier with that bike and what I spent on it (think I actually paid $690 on sale). With it's 9 speed Alivio/Acera/Altus drivetrain, it's honestly really nice to ride, and there isn't really a noticeable difference in smoothness or reliability than there is with my full 5800 105 road bike - they both do the job so well.

And to play devil's advocate, I after having my middle of the road hybrid, I don't think I could go down to the bottom-end $450-$500 LBS bike like a very base Sirrus with 7 or 8 speeds; so I suppose someone on a $2k flat bar would say the same about my hybrid, so it's all relative.

Last edited by puma1552; 08-24-19 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 04:11 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
"Why Expensive Commuter bikes?"

Not with just bikes, but "Pride of Ownership" is important to many, including me. I like the craftsmanship and uniqueness some manufactures provide and it usually comes with a cost that I am willing pay.
This is why I got a custom “commuter” bike. It is really just my primary bike. My old bike got stolen so I decide to splurge and get something that fit better and had better stuff on it.

Give it a year or so, and it’ll have more miles on it than my car does for the year. I can park inside my office at work or in secure bike parking or at a bike valet. I have also ridden it to the grocery store and such. It’s new so I haven’t hit all the spots. I am a practical cyclists vs a recreational one.

I bought a fancy bike for the same reason I have fancier purses - I just like them better. If I didn’t have a bike I thought was attractive and built to suit, I wouldn’t ride it. It wouldn’t have the same appeal for me. Sure I probably could have waited/hunted for a perfect vintage bike to build up the way I wanted, but that seem like a long shot! I’m not patient like that.

Last edited by jade408; 08-24-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 06:29 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
For me, it's pretty obvious. Any bike I commute is has to be all-weather capable and convenient to use. That means a chain guard/chaincase, fenders, dynamo lighting, internal gears, and drum breaks are mandatory. Otherwise, it's not useful. All this implies at least $1,000 as a starting point. Mine was well above that and I could easily see $2,000 or more, adding in a 14 speed Rohloff to replace my current Nexus 7. Parking at my office is $20 per day, so any imaginable bike is chump change. The bike has provided daily transportation for nearly 20 years, so it amortizes out quite well.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 08-24-19, 06:36 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Cool bike!!

Great minds often think alike

Originally Posted by jade408

This is why I got a custom “commuter” bike. It is really just my primary bike. My old bike got stolen so I decide to splurge and get something that fit better and had better stuff on it.

Give it a year or so, and it’ll have more miles on it than my car does for the year. I can park inside my office at work or in secure bike parking or at a bike valet. I have also ridden it to the grocery store and such. It’s new so I haven’t hit all the spots. I am a practical cyclists vs a recreational one.

I bought a fancy bike for the same reason I have fancier purses - I just like them better. If I didn’t have a bike I thought was attractive and built to suit, I wouldn’t ride it. It wouldn’t have the same appeal for me. Sure I probably could have waited/hunted for a perfect vintage bike to build up the way I wanted, but that seem like a long shot! I’m not patient like that.
Old 08-24-19, 06:55 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by gammy13
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

Anyone have thoughts? Who's buying these things?
Someone who does not want to drive a car to work. Or in NYC, squash on the subway. (Not everyone needs to lock their bike up to a construction scaffolding.) What if it's their ONLY bike... With rents in the city being what they are, space for a second personal bike costs a lot more than extra spending on the one. (if you are lucky enough to have below mkt rent, doesn't change this for anyone else.
Old 08-24-19, 07:12 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
For me, it's pretty obvious. Any bike I commute is has to be all-weather capable and convenient to use. That means a chain guard/chaincase, fenders, dynamo lighting, internal gears, and drum breaks are mandatory. Otherwise, it's not useful. All this implies at least $1,000 as a starting point. Mine was well above that and I could easily see $2,000 or more, adding in a 14 speed Rohloff to replace my current Nexus 7. Parking at my office is $20 per day, so any imaginable bike is chump change. The bike has provided daily transportation for nearly 20 years, so it amortizes out quite well.
If I upgrade, a Rohloff is on the list.
Old 08-24-19, 08:33 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Pride of ownership is quite attractive to thieves.

There is also some charm in an ugly bike that is always there waiting for you.

I've had that heart stopping feeling of returning to where I thought my brand new bike should be, only to discover that it was stolen.

I'd rather not repeat that experience.

Happy trails.
Old 08-24-19, 09:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I don’t think $1500-&2000 is in “diminishing returns” territory, and if you can afford it, I think it is reasonable if you are going to be riding it every day.

Sure, you can get a fine bike for less (and there are a ton out there that do cost less), but nothing wrong with giving folks the option to ride something a little nicer.
Old 08-25-19, 06:30 PM
BikeTall

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

My Giant Escape 2. Daily commuter & touring rig.
I live in NYC as well, and after having several expensive road bikes stolen, I bought my first hybrid, the Giant Escape 2 in 2013 and haven’t looked back. It’s fast, comfy & bang for the buck, the best bike I have ever owned. I use it as my daily commuter as well as for touring. I have nothing against people paying over $1,000 for a hybrid commuter if they want. It’s all good. But for the last 6 years my $500 Giant Escape has been great.
Old 08-25-19, 06:40 PM
BikeTall

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Oh...i do have a tip for protecting your bike from thieves. As we all know, if a thief wants your bike, no lock is safe. They will find a way.

So when a psychologist friend of mine gave me an idea. I tried it. Her theory was that even thieves as dispicable as they are, have a conscious. She suggested I make a small crudely written sign on an index card that read “I am handicapped. Please don’t steal my bike. Thanks!” So i did. I added a smiley face for added effect and laminated the card. And guess what? It worked! Before i got a job that allowed me to bring my bike inside, I used to lock my bikes up outside in NYC on the upper east side. Right in front of the hospital i worked at. But I had several bikes stolen... even with me poking my head out the window every hour or so.

So i put this sign on when i locked it up, and it was never stolen. The ONE day i forgot to bring my sign? STOLEN! Lol. I kid you not. It works! Better than any lock i ever bought. Of course there are no guarantees, but give it a try. Couldn’t hurt.
Old 08-25-19, 07:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by BikeTall
Oh...i do have a tip for protecting your bike from thieves. As we all know, if a thief wants your bike, no lock is safe. They will find a way.

So when a psychologist friend of mine gave me an idea. I tried it. Her theory was that even thieves as dispicable as they are, have a conscious. She suggested I make a small crudely written sign on an index card that read “I am handicapped. Please don’t steal my bike. Thanks!” So i did. I added a smiley face for added effect and laminated the card. And guess what? It worked! Before i got a job that allowed me to bring my bike inside, I used to lock my bikes up outside in NYC on the upper east side. Right in front of the hospital i worked at. But I had several bikes stolen... even with me poking my head out the window every hour or so.

So i put this sign on when i locked it up, and it was never stolen. The ONE day i forgot to bring my sign? STOLEN! Lol. I kid you not. It works! Better than any lock i ever bought. Of course there are no guarantees, but give it a try. Couldn’t hurt.
This sounds like a tenuous solution. Besides if too many cycle commuters latch on to it, the thieves will catch on, and may become even more active, similar to the antipathy expressed to seemingly healthy drivers with handicapped parking placards.
Old 08-25-19, 07:19 PM
BikeTall

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
This sounds like a tenuous solution. Besides if too many cycle commuters latch on to it, the thieves will catch on, and may become even more active, similar to the antipathy expressed to seemingly healthy drivers with handicapped parking placards.
First of all, i doubt if this solution will catch on as wildly as you think. Second of all, my brother is handicapped, and he approved of the idea. And lastly, comparing this to taking a handicapped parking space is ridiculous. There is no comparison. No handicapped person is being denied anything. Nor are they being made fun of. So i don’t know why you are angry.
Old 08-25-19, 07:25 PM
Jim from Boston

My Giant Escape 2. Daily commuter & touring rig.
I live in NYC as well, and after having several expensive road bikes stolen, I bought my first hybrid, the Giant Escape 2 in 2013 and haven’t looked back.

It’s fast, comfy & bang for the buck, the best bike I have ever owned. I use it as my daily commuter as well as for touring. I have nothing against people paying over $1,000 for a hybrid commuter if they want. It’s all good. But for the last 6 years my $500 Giant Escape has been great.
+10

I posted earlier to this thread, and elsewhere:
"Why Expensive Commuter bikes?"

I have an $8K Specialized S-Works (bought half off) that I use for a one-way 14 mile commute on the mean streets of Boston, with secure parking @ work. I bought it after a severe cycling accident.
Help with choosing a bike.”

Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500,and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
Also has disc brakes.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 08-25-19, 07:31 PM
Jim from Boston

First of all, i doubt if this solution will catch on as wildly as you think. Second of all, my brother is handicapped, and he approved of the idea. And lastly, comparing this to taking a handicapped parking space is ridiculous. There is no comparison. No handicapped person is being denied anything. Nor are they being made fun of. So i don’t know why you are angry.
My reply was more tongue in cheek. I used the smilie in reference towards "the antipathy expressed to seemingly healthy drivers with handicapped parking placards."

Not to be critical, but you seem possessive of your solution, and quick to challenge any retort, even on a give-and-take Internet Forum.

FWIW, I have a severely handicapped daughter, and I replied favorably to your preceding post
I live in NYC as well, and after having several expensive road bikes stolen, I bought my first hybrid, the Giant Escape 2 in 2013 and haven’t looked back.

It’s fast, comfy & bang for the buck, the best bike I have ever owned. I use it as my daily commuter as well as for touring. I have nothing against people paying over $1,000 for a hybrid commuter if they want. It’s all good. But for the last 6 years my $500 Giant Escape has been great
+10

I posted earlier to this thread, and elsewhere:
I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-26-19 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added addendum: FWIW I have...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.