Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advantages of Different Seatstay Designs on CF Road Race Bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Advantages of Different Seatstay Designs on CF Road Race Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 07:03 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
No, it has a shaped post that is designed for flex.
Giants - yet another thing that hasn't been great since the noughties. (Like car styling and popular music)
Old 04-26-24, 03:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Giants - yet another thing that hasn't been great since the noughties. (Like car styling and popular music)
Those are not facts.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-26-24, 07:37 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

Back in the ‘80s, Trimble was making seatstay-less frames, and Trek’s Y-Foil in the ‘90s was very successful seatstsy-less design. Cervelo’s P5X from around ‘16 is a more recent example.
The Trimble has a much beefier “main tube”.

The Y-foil has a rear triangle (from the photo course if found).

The PX5 has much beefier chain stays.

I’m not sure if the last two were intended to be particularly “comfortable”. I’m not sure if the frames were particularly light. That bikes like this aren’t really made any more suggests they weren’t better than the standard frame that has stays.

So, it seems you don’t need seat stays but it appears there might be compromises needed to remove them.

Given the variety of stay arrangements, it doesn’t seem to matter much where they are placed or their shape. (But manufacturers will certainly still say what they do is the best. Until they change it.) That disc brakes allowed more freedom to move them about makes sense. Lower might be more aerodynamic but, maybe, not by much.
Old 04-26-24, 08:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

I’m not sure if the last two were intended to be particularly “comfortable”. I’m not sure if the frames were particularly light. That bikes like this aren’t really made any more suggests they weren’t better than the standard frame that has stays.

So, it seems you don’t need seat stays but it appears there might be compromises needed to remove them.

Given the variety of stay arrangements, it doesn’t seem to matter much where they are placed or their shape. (But manufacturers will certainly still say what they do is the best. Until they change it.) That disc brakes allowed more freedom to move them about makes sense. Lower might be more aerodynamic but, maybe, not by much.
Of course there are always compromises, but that wasn't my point in mentioning those designs or the Giant. My point was that seatstays are probably not the crucial element to comfort, and just looking at them almost certainly won't tell you anything about comfort.

Anyway though, the reason those roads designs did not persist is because they were not UCI compliant, not because they weren't better, which they almost certainly were from a variety of perspectives.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-30-24, 06:33 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

Just any FYI, in '98 the UCI put a restriction in place, requiring a traditional 'Triangle' for all bikes certified for UCI sanctioned races/racing. Which put 'paid' to these designs and others departing from the traditional 'triangle' of down,top and seattubes. Some others.... ZIPP, Softride (which was one of 1st to 'lose' the traditional Triangle) and Graeme Obree and his 'Old Faithful'.
Whose to say whether those design directions might have developed into more or less aero forms in comparison to today's offerings...
However, Triathlon not falling under UCI, meant that they continued to use bikes with these designs, and some can be seen in competition today. Certainly Bike sponsorship will be a big restriction of what you see under the top level Triathletes...

It'll be interesting to see how UCI reacts when REAL electronic shifting comes about - electronic internal hub systems with settable gear ratios, and prolly running belt drives, rather than the 800 lb gorilla of unnecessary weight - the bike chain. There's no reason why an internal gear change system can't be located in the crank/BB location and the rear be a single 'cog'... 'Direct' drive? Possible, depending on material engineering! Motos have had direct drive for many decades,, because weight is much less of a consideration.
At the moment 'Electronic shifting' is pretty much like the electric knife...
Ride On
Yuri - not sure I'll still be breathing when the really new and juicy stuff hits the road...
Old 05-01-24, 04:29 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by cyclezen

It'll be interesting to see how UCI reacts when REAL electronic shifting comes about - electronic internal hub systems with settable gear ratios, and prolly running belt drives, rather than the 800 lb gorilla of unnecessary weight - the bike chain. There's no reason why an internal gear change system can't be located in the crank/BB location and the rear be a single 'cog'... 'Direct' drive? Possible, depending on material engineering! Motos have had direct drive for many decades,, because weight is much less of a consideration.
At the moment 'Electronic shifting' is pretty much like the electric knife...
Ride On
Yuri - not sure I'll still be breathing when the really new and juicy stuff hits the road...
I have to say I’m surprised how long the derailleur drivetrain has been dominant. It is at least now very well refined! I think the FD will be first to fall with 1x and internal hub/BB gears. But I think the RD still has plenty of life left.
Old 05-01-24, 08:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3486 Post(s)
Liked 3,625 Times in 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
But I think the RD still has plenty of life left.
As does the chain, a pretty darn efficient mechanism.

Old 05-01-24, 08:50 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
As does the chain, a pretty darn efficient mechanism.
I agree, but I do find them a bit of an inconvenience. Belt drives are efficient too, just need the gearing range etc. I'm surprised there are not more options. We had a couple of belt drive kids bikes and they were great for maintenance.
Old 05-01-24, 09:02 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Don't discount one of the primary, if not, the primary drivers in attracting customers in this category – aesthetics. I'll admit the dropped seat stays simply look better. Part of it may be that they make the saddle look higher – and that makes it look like a pro's bike and that make it makes it look like… yeah - aesthetics.
Old 05-01-24, 09:28 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I agree, but I do find them a bit of an inconvenience. Belt drives are efficient too, just need the gearing range etc. I'm surprised there are not more options. We had a couple of belt drive kids bikes and they were great for maintenance.
There's a rider in our Sunday group, aussie, who had a custom TI frame made, built up the rest himself, using an IGH and belt drive, otherwise upper level road components...
Just from the 'heft' test, bike weight seems about the same as a Mid-level CF bike. He's solid middle of pack rider and has no issues on the climbs...
The bike is wonderfully silent and he always seems to have the 'right' gear for the occasion ... I'll have to take a pic and post, when we're both on the next ride...
Between Ski season (WInter lasts until Mid April in the SIerra and Mammoth stays open usually to well past May- last year End of July) and now the Best times to hike in our Back Country, I've been missing the Sunday Rides... The Back Country will soon turn into an Oven, and Sunday Coastal Rides will seem like heaven (which they are...).
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-01-24, 09:28 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Don't discount one of the primary, if not, the primary drivers in attracting customers in this category – aesthetics. I'll admit the dropped seat stays simply look better. Part of it may be that they make the saddle look higher – and that makes it look like a pro's bike and that make it makes it look like… yeah - aesthetics.
I got the impression that most people still preferred the look of full length seatstays, but maybe that is starting to change. I think both can look good in the overall design.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-01-24, 09:31 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by cyclezen
There's a rider in our Sunday group, aussie, who had a custom TI frame made, built up the rest himself, using an IGH and belt drive, otherwise upper level road components...
Just from the 'heft' test, bike weight seems about the same as a Mid-level CF bike. He's solid middle of pack rider and has no issues on the climbs...
The bike is wonderfully silent and he always seems to have the 'right' gear for the occasion ... I'll have to take a pic and post, when we're both on the next ride...
Between Ski season (WInter lasts until Mid April in the SIerra and Mammoth stays open usually to well past May- last year End of July) and now the Best times to hike in our Back Country, I've been missing the Sunday Rides... The Back Country will soon turn into an Oven, and Sunday Coastal Rides will seem like heaven (which they are...).
Ride On
Yuri
Interesting. That would be a good subject for a new thread. Future drivetrains.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-02-24, 07:51 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Having read a fair amount of reviews (and presuming those authors have read the marketing bumpfs), it sounds like the modern frame double diamond design is driven more by aerodynamics than comfort:

- Flat top tubes present the smallest forward aspect relative to any sloping top tube design
- Dropped seatstays put the seatstay/seat tube joint right in front of the top of the tire, where the air is already being spoiled anyway, rather than higher up, which adds to its own drag
- Standard for these days D-shaped seat and down tubes

Comfort is thrown in by way of wide tires, flexy seatposts, and odd suspension designs (ahem, Roubaix and Domane). The ‘default’ race design these days (as outlined above) doesn’t really provide for inherent comfort due to the lower amount of exposed post (flat top tube) and tight rear triangle (dropped stays). An argument could be made that the seat tube itself could be made to flex at the seat stay joint, but any flex there would also impact the top tube and head tube joint as the seat tube bends and effectively shortens that side of the triangle.

So short version… first conclusion: dropped seat stays and flat top tubes are for aero, not comfort.

Of course, regardless of whether your stays are high up or low down, this all happens behind a rider’s thighs and feet, which cause plenty of airflow disruption of their own anyway. Manufacturers are trying to tell us that an extra three inches of half-inch wide seat stay will provide meaningfully more drag, even though it’s primarily in the wash of my 7” diameter thighs and size 10 shoes as they go round and round? Sure, when the absolute most marginal race gains are to be considered, the tiniest fraction of a watt and handful of grams that a shorter stay provides could prove beneficial - or at least, matching what the big boys do is good for optics, both at the start line and on the showroom floor. After all, when Specialized shows up with its new Tarmac, Bianchi and BMC can’t be seen putting "last year’s” technology out there.

Short version, conclusion 2: Marketing wants to make sure our new bike doesn’t look old next to the other guy’s new bike