Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where to park car for the day, before starting on a ride??

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-20, 09:08 AM
arbj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have been thinking of a bike ride through the Palomar mountain (San Diego), this will be my first mountain uphill ride. Please see this link (pjammcycling.com). I don't plan on following the route exactly. However depending on my capability I will try out various different segments and loops.

I plan to take my bike in a rental car (from LA) to Palomar region. I have searched in google maps, but could not find a suitable place to park the car for the day. The nearby Harrah's resort was suggested, but I am not sure if this is allowed. Most of the motels are around the Escondido area.

Is there any good place where the car can be parked ?? Where do most people park cars ?? How about on the side of the road near a clearing etc.?? Is this safe ??

I thought of parking in Targets or Macy's, but not sure if this is allowed. However there is the Palomar Mountain state park entrance, as per their site its 10 USD per car for the day, this seems very viable, only downside this is very much away from the planned route.

I plan to spend around 4-5 days (maximum) on this loop, after this I intend to go to Yosemite and try some riding there as well.

Thanks
a
Old 02-02-20, 10:39 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Any regional parks or community parks within your desired distance? Check ridewithgps and Strava maps to see where other cyclists start their rides.
Do not park near hiking trailheads. Thieves target these areas because they know the car's occupants will be away for long periods.
My preference are busy parks and near a ranger kiosk if possible.
Old 02-02-20, 11:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
I've parked in local/state/fed parks, schools, cemeteries, malls and only had one encounter with anyone of note (and that was because our car was too close to a nuke plant. Guards with M16s met us on our return. We convinced them that terrorists were unlikely to be riding a tandem with matching jerseys). For more then a day loop, and not involving a motel, I have contacted local bike shops and clubs to hook up with a privet property location. Andy
Old 02-02-20, 12:24 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
I've always asked the business before parking. They've always said yes, but typically jot down my vehicle info.

I once asked a local before parking at a school and the local said that'd be fine, but insisted I park in his driveway since he had space!
Old 02-02-20, 12:27 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
How far away is stone brewery? You could grab a cold one at the end. Maybe the beginning too, take the edge off.
Old 02-02-20, 12:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
If you arent sure about harrah's, call them.
if you arent sure about target, call them.
...or just park it at a police stations after calling them.
Old 02-04-20, 03:39 AM
arbj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the useful information. I will surely call before parking.

I think the Park area parking should be good enough, however I am not sure they allow cycling in the Palomar Mountain State park. I must confirm from them.

thanks
a
Old 02-04-20, 08:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I usually ask if it will be very long, but will mention one other option. I don't stay with warm showers hosts much but they are good for things other than hosting. Logistics like leaving a car at their residence is one such thing. Just one more possible option...
Old 02-06-20, 10:49 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
There are private campgrounds and resorts in the area that i am sure would let you park there, especially if you spend the first and last nights there...such as at the foot of Palomar Mountain, Lake Henshaw, or even in National Forest land or campgrounds on the mountain.
But I really don't know what the heck you're doing--camping overnight or what? Are you prepared for a blizzard that can hit the mountain this time of year? It was about 15 degrees on the summit yesterday morning in clear weather...

I know you can park and camp free in most parts of nearby Anza-Borrego State Park, with hike and bike sites at the developed Palm Canyon campground. There is a notable climb up from the campground to Ranchita called Montezuma Grade; state park land extends most of the way to that summit. A real animal could combine that climb with the 3000'-5300' south grade of Palomar, or take the somewhat easier east grade up to the summit from henshaw...

I don't know what you mean about Yosemite this time of year. Do you have skis for your bike, or what?
Old 02-06-20, 11:04 PM
stevepusser

Cycling is allowed on paved roads in Palomar Park. Trails are not open to bikes. At one time, I camped in an isolated, almost never used hike and bike site there at Doane Valley on a fourth of July weekend after riding from San Diego to the La Jolla campground at the mountain's south face the previous day--I had to clear about eight inches of dead leaf litter off the picnic table, I fed the jays trail mix until a rattlesnake killed and ate one in the leaves right next to the site as the bird was hiding the treats, and then the jays went into a frenzy over something hiding in the undergrowth about 20 yards away and watching me. Could have been a harmless coyote, could have been a cougar...eventually it went away. IDK if the site is still there--call the SP to find out.

A bit to the south, Cuyamaca state park allows hike and bike overnights in the picnic areas, allows mountain biking on a network of fire roads, and has a thrilling climb up the paved and very steep fire road to the top of Cuyamaca Peak. There are also some paved and unpaved roads around the mountains that allow you to make a loop to Julian and back, or to the south from Descanso. Maps are your friends, but not necessarily Google Maps.
Old 02-07-20, 04:06 AM
arbj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
But I really don't know what the heck you're doing--camping overnight or what? Are you prepared for a blizzard that can hit the mountain this time of year? It was about 15 degrees on the summit yesterday morning in clear weather...

I don't know what you mean about Yosemite this time of year. Do you have skis for your bike, or what?
Oops !!! Sorry I did not mention the month, I plan to do this trip around September 15, perhaps even October first week.

Cycling is allowed on paved roads in Palomar Park. Trails are not open to bikes.
I would like to ride on paved roads for starters, take in the scene etc. then probably try out the trails.

thanks
Old 02-07-20, 04:10 PM
stevepusser

The State Park only occupies a portion of the higher parts of Palomar, the rest is National Forest or private inholdings. It still has some nice conifer forest, unlike the Cuyamacas that lost almost all of it back in the 2003 Cedar fire.

If it's just for the day, the state parks allow you to park in lots for a fee. No problem. Parking on National Forest land generally requires you to pay for an Adventure Pass. $5 for a day.

I couldn't follow the link you provided, but if they say that the south grade is the toughest, unpaved Nate Harrison grade nearby is even tougher: Nate Harrison Grade Road