Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Battery theft

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Battery theft

Old 06-24-19, 08:52 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Battery theft

How big a concern is battery theft? Some designs look like it would be relatively easy to pry off the battery.
Old 06-25-19, 01:56 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
How big a concern is battery theft? Some designs look like it would be relatively easy to pry off the battery.
The way I figure, it would be better not to tell people how easy ( or hard ) it is to steal a battery. Because if it happens to be easy best not to tell people least some fools get ideas in their heads. I figure if you can't afford to lose it and decide to leave it on your bike and then some dolt steals it, you have nobody to blame but yourself for leaving it on the bike. I own a Shimano Step system and the battery on those lock to the bike with a built in key lock. Regardless, If I were to park the bike somewhere and leave it for a prolonged period of time I would consider taking the battery with me since it is perhaps the most expensive piece of removable equipment on the bike other than the motor. ( key locks can be picked if you have the know how).

I like these ebikes I see where the batteries are built into the frame ( along with the motor ). I love me some stealth design! With those I would think the opening where the batteries go in would be secured with some kind of locking mechanisms making it even better ( If...I'm correct ). I would love to have an e-mountain bike designed like that. You almost can't tell they are electric assist ( unless of course you are familiar with newer e-bikes ) I was looking at one online the other day but "Oh MY!", are they expensive!
Old 06-25-19, 04:18 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I'm not sure that anything on a bike can be theft-proof given a very determined or skillful thief!

Like CMD, my battery key-locks to the mounting plate. It would not be easy to remove and it would be a noticeable struggle, but I have no doubt it could be done.
Old 06-25-19, 04:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
One thing is, with all the proprietary parts on an E-Bike, it would take some work to adapt a battery from one brand to another. It depends on how creative the thieves are.

Plus, it may be hard to sell locally on the black market.

Thus, one gets thrown into trying to sell it online which the thieves may or may not wish to do.
Old 06-25-19, 05:10 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I had my bike stolen and returned by the police over a year later. The only problem with the battery was that the thieves had cut the wires from it. I suspect that they had no idea what it was or, in particular, how valuable it was.
Old 06-25-19, 05:24 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Robert C
I had my bike stolen and returned by the police over a year later. The only problem with the battery was that the thieves had cut the wires from it. I suspect that they had no idea what it was or, in particular, how valuable it was.
I've wondered about stolen bicycle lights with proprietary chargers.

Do the thieves simply use the lights until the battery dies, then discard and steal a new light?

It may be the same with an E-Bike, fun until the battery runs out, then a pain to pedal.

I remember stories of a Corvette pulled from the La Brea tar pits. I can't find any notes about it now, but I believe the story was that someone stole it brand new (complete with original factory detailing). Went joy riding, then dumped it in the tar pits before the tank ran dry.
Old 06-26-19, 12:21 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
I am paranoid about theft of my bicycle. I am motorizing a cargo bike. WalMart has pickup at the store so I don't need to leave the bicycle unattended.
Old 06-28-19, 11:47 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
....Do the thieves simply use the lights until the battery dies, then discard and steal a new light?

It may be the same with an E-Bike, fun until the battery runs out, then a pain to pedal.

It wouldn't surprise me. I found one of those pubic use e-bikes stashed just off one of the MUP behind were I live. The bike was there for over a week and apparently it was just discarded and wasn't being used. I sent the company that provided them an e-mail telling them where it was. They wrote back thanking me but the bike remained where it was for at least another week. Eventually though they must of sent someone out to get it because it did disappear at some point.
Old 06-28-19, 01:06 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
It wouldn't surprise me. I found one of those pubic use e-bikes stashed just off one of the MUP behind were I live. The bike was there for over a week and apparently it was just discarded and wasn't being used. I sent the company that provided them an e-mail telling them where it was. They wrote back thanking me but the bike remained where it was for at least another week. Eventually though they must of sent someone out to get it because it did disappear at some point.
Most of the "share" bikes aren't really public use, but rather rentals, and they should have built in GPS trackers, and an app to find the bikes (I assume cell phone connected). So, a cell phone dead zone could be a problem for the company.

Nonetheless, riders are also tracked, and should responsibly lock the bikes, either at the designated racks for free, or elsewhere for a fee, depending on how far out it is.

Who knows, perhaps the bike ended up in somebody's garage, but hopefully the tracking keeps people somewhat honest.

You're probably right. Someone rode it until the battery went dead, or they got close enough to their house to dump the bike and walk home.
Old 06-28-19, 01:49 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I'm not much concerned because of where I live, ride, and park. But, if I ventured out, I'd be much more concerned because of how expensive it would be to replace the battery on my loved, reliable 6-year-old ebike, IF I were able to replace it at all. It would very possibly mean I'd have a mostly-useless, still-45-pound bike left sitting in my garage. ...I'm getting more concerned as I write...
Old 07-24-19, 12:17 AM
niels360

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Holland they don't steal the battery. Just the whole bike..