Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What do I wear?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What do I wear?

Old 07-26-19, 04:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Hmmm. 559's fit at the short end of the adjustment. I sent a request to cancel the 539 order. If the request goes through I'll get another 559 caliper. Otherwise I'll hope for the best with the 539.

The R539 on the rear of my RANS bike is at the extreme length position but does fit. Supposed to be 57 but just measured it at 59.
Old 07-26-19, 04:39 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
The R539 on the rear of my RANS bike is at the extreme length position but does fit. Supposed to be 57 but just measured it at 59.
559 starts at 55mm, so there is a bit of overlap between the two calipers.
Old 07-26-19, 05:00 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Steamer
Those bags are nice, but my OCD says they will catch too much wind.
Agree, they do stick out a bit. Unless it's cold or rainy next week, I won't need them, so it's really just a five dollar insurance policy. Just thought I'd share since I wasn't sure if the Molle fasteners would work, and they work almost like it was designed for it.

What did you think of the tires?
Definitely a noticeable improvement going from 23 to 28, and I like those Michelin tires for twenty-five bucks. Great recommendation. Also quite noticeable was getting rid of that wobbly front wheel, and I like the side loaders better than the iris cages. I'll keep those on there unless bottles start bouncing out. Planning to get some longer rides in this weekend to really give everything a good shakedown, but I'm really happy with how everything is shaping up. Couldn't have done it without the help here.

That flex noodle doesn't seem necessary, although sometimes those are useful on front brakes on bents.
The rear brake wasn't working right so I replaced the inner cable and there was a kink there, so I'll remove it when I replace the housing. Is it normal to wrap the bars and the stem with cork tape like it is now to hold the cables in place? I guess any cheap tape is fine since you don't put your hands there anyway?
Old 07-27-19, 01:36 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

The ebay seller canceled the 539 order so I'll get a 559 caliper since I know that works, although I think the 539 would have worked too.
Old 07-27-19, 07:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Went out for a 60 mile ride this morning, and the bike just feels so much better with the 26" wheels and tires. Rides better, handles better, corners better, rolls better, everything better. I'm kinda glad the front rim was bad or I wouldn't have made the switch, and the new wheels should be even a little lighter than the ones I'm using now with the right OLD in back. I'm sure if I put the Rene Herse Elk Pass (26x1.25) tires on there it would be even better, but I'm not sure they would fit.

When I ordered my tires I stupidly only ordered 2 tubes. After I got them mounted up, I realized my mistake and ordered another two tubes. They haven't arrived yet, so I have been carrying couple of 700x25c tubes in the bag. I have had zero flats this year so I didn't figure it was that big of a risk, and I could get home on the wrong sized tube. Wouldn't you know it. I ran over a broken beer bottle and flatted my front tire this morning. I was lucky it wasn't both tires. After cramming the over-sized tube in the tire, it got me home, but it was a bumpy ride. Not recommended. For tomorrow I'll pull the old tubes out of the 571 tires. I think I would have seen the glass and been able to avoid it on a DF, but who knows. Any evidence that recumbents are more prone to flats?
Old 07-28-19, 12:23 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I got my century in this morning so I'm feeling good about the 400k next week. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is my butt which was very uncomfortable for the second half of the ride.

Interestingly, I wore clothes that I don't really like when I ride my DF that work well on the recumbent. On top I wore a loose fitting quarter-zip jersey, where I normally prefer fairly tight full-zips. On the bottom I wore Boure Elite bibs that have seams running down the front of the leg that chafe on the DF but are totally fine on the recumbent. I also find that I really prefer wearing gloves on the recumbent but normally don't on the DF unless its cold or raining.
Old 07-29-19, 08:13 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Agree, they do stick out a bit. Unless it's cold or rainy next week, I won't need them, so it's really just a five dollar insurance policy. Just thought I'd share since I wasn't sure if the Molle fasteners would work, and they work almost like it was designed for it.

Definitely a noticeable improvement going from 23 to 28, and I like those Michelin tires for twenty-five bucks. Great recommendation. Also quite noticeable was getting rid of that wobbly front wheel, and I like the side loaders better than the iris cages. I'll keep those on there unless bottles start bouncing out. Planning to get some longer rides in this weekend to really give everything a good shakedown, but I'm really happy with how everything is shaping up. Couldn't have done it without the help here.

The rear brake wasn't working right so I replaced the inner cable and there was a kink there, so I'll remove it when I replace the housing. Is it normal to wrap the bars and the stem with cork tape like it is now to hold the cables in place? I guess any cheap tape is fine since you don't put your hands there anyway?
The Wild Run'Rs don't wear particularly well, but for the price it's tolerable.

FWIW, I took the tape off my bars and riser on my Bacchetta fairly early on. I replaced it with a couple zip ties. It's a matter of opinion on which looks better. Either is functional.
Old 07-29-19, 08:15 PM
Steamer

Any evidence that recumbents are more prone to flats?
I haven't experienced that, but I live in a rural enough of a place I don't get flats very often on any of my machines. But logically if you can't see what you are running over as well, I am sure you will get more. Bents are also more prone to pinch flats because there is no hope of unweighting or bunny hopping over a pothole at the last second. This is one of the reasons I said earlier that bents need wider tires, on average, than DFs riding in the same conditions.
Old 07-29-19, 08:18 PM
Steamer

I got my century in this morning so I'm feeling good about the 400k next week. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is my butt which was very uncomfortable for the second half of the ride.
Consider laying back the seat just a little and/or adding something between the foam pad and the seat mesh to provide some lumbar support. Either of these will take pressure off your tailbone. You could even consider cutting the second zip tie from the bottom too.

Ultimately though, not all bent seats are equally comfortable for all people. I don't care for the euromesh seat because of a lack of lumbar curve, for instance.

By the way, if you tilt your seat back, you will need to move it slightly forward to maintain the same reach to the pedals.
Old 07-30-19, 09:07 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I snipped the second zip tie and reclined the seat one more hole so I now have only two more holes to go. I think that's better. Definitely not worse.

I'll try this hillbilly lumbar support tomorrow to see how that goes. Adds a touch of class if nothing else.

The glass from Saturday put a couple of deep cuts in the front tire. If it wasn't so new I'd use that as an excuse to replace it. The cuts are deep but not wide, so I put patches on the inside of the tire so the tube doesn't poke through and moved it to the rear. I'm afraid it's a temporary fix, but no time to get another tire for Saturday so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will hold for another couple hundred miles. Seems to be holding up ok so far.

I was looking around for other tires, and there aren't really that many options. Schwalbe Durano & Conti Grand Prix at around $45/tire and the Rene Herse at $80/tire. I like the RH tires a lot, but they're so expensive and don't last that long, I have gone to using them for brevets only and use less expensive tires for JRA. I've ordered another Michelin and will use the patched one as a spare. Maybe I'll treat myself to a set of the RH tires next season.

I have 382 miles on the strada now and feel like it's getting a little easier and I'm getting a little faster. My legs don't hurt as much as they did before, and I've gone from ~4mph slower to ~2mph slower than on my DF.
Old 07-30-19, 08:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
There's something to the acclimation issue, even when I go from one recumbent to another. I've been riding my Nocom most of the summer. But last week I started riding my highracer in anticipation of using it for DALMAC in a month. Talk about slow! But after a week of struggling, the speed is starting to leak out here and there.
Old 07-31-19, 08:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Went out for an easy 20 mile spin this morning, and I can't decide if I like the lumbar sponge or not. At first I really liked it, then it got kind of annoying, so I re-positioned it a few times to try to find the right spot. This will need some more experimentation and maybe a slightly larger sponge.

On my DF when I intend to go out for an easy spin, I will invariably find myself hammering away at some point during the ride. I have to really focus on taking it easy. Not so on the recumbent. It's just so enjoyable to cruise along the bike path at an easy pace and take in the scenery. I could see myself using the recumbent as my recovery ride bike next spring.
Old 07-31-19, 11:01 AM
Steamer

Went out for an easy 20 mile spin this morning, and I can't decide if I like the lumbar sponge or not. At first I really liked it, then it got kind of annoying, so I re-positioned it a few times to try to find the right spot. This will need some more experimentation and maybe a slightly larger sponge.
Looks to me like the sponge would concentrate pressure too much.

I have had luck using camping sleeping pad material (the closed cell resilient foam type*). It wants to run the full width of the seat so pressure isn't concentrated on and next to the spine. You could even layer it two layers thick (if your back likes the additional support in that location), but with the top layer being shorter and centered on the lower layer, to somewhat simulate a gently curved hump.

* I used this on one bike for additional, strategic padding: https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/ridge-rest-solite

Last edited by Steamer; 07-31-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 01:06 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I have had luck using camping sleeping pad material (the closed cell resilient foam type*). It wants to run the full width of the seat so pressure isn't concentrated on and next to the spine. You could even layer it two layers thick (if your back likes the additional support in that location), but with the top layer being shorter and centered on the lower layer, to somewhat simulate a gently curved hump.

* I used this on one bike for additional, strategic padding: https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/ridge-rest-solite
Hmmm. My wife has a yoga mat in the basement that she might not notice if it went missing.

What do you think about this lumbar brace? It's so cheap I just ordered one. It's always fun for me to order stuff from aliexpress because by the time it arrives, I usually forgot what I ordered, so it's like a present to my future self.
Old 07-31-19, 08:00 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Stopped by the hardware store after work and picked up some pipe insulation for lumbar support attempt #2 . We'll see how this goes tomorrow morning. Feels pretty good just sitting on it.
Old 08-01-19, 05:54 AM
Steamer

Hmmm. My wife has a yoga mat in the basement that she might not notice if it went missing.

What do you think about this lumbar brace? It's so cheap I just ordered one. It's always fun for me to order stuff from aliexpress because by the time it arrives, I usually forgot what I ordered, so it's like a present to my future self.
I am leaning on one of those braces as I type this. It helps when I am at my desk. But I am not sure it would work on a bent. I suspect the additional weight on it (from the recumbent posture) would flatten it. All that provides the shape is a metal frame about the weight of a heavy duty coat hanger.
Old 08-01-19, 05:54 AM
Steamer

Stopped by the hardware store after work and picked up some pipe insulation for lumbar support attempt #2 . We'll see how this goes tomorrow morning. Feels pretty good just sitting on it.
That has promise.

This is definitely a trial and error type of thing.
Old 08-01-19, 06:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

That has promise.

This is definitely a trial and error type of thing.
That was way too much lumbar support. While a lot of support takes the pressure off the tailbone, it puts pressure on the lower back so the trick I guess is to find the sweet spot.

Along my ride this morning I kept pulling out tubes until I was left with just the big one spread out flat, which seemed about right. I'll try to pick up a camping or a yoga mat tonight and fashion something about that thickness with a little curve like you suggested.
Old 08-04-19, 09:10 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I completed the 400k on the Strada yesterday, which was overall a big success. I rode with my buddy John, who rides a carbon 700c Bacchetta and two other riders on uprights. We were able to average just under 15mph on the bike with a whopping 4 hours off the bike for a respectable 21 hour finish on a course that was hillier than I thought it was going to be.

My butt didn't bother me nearly as much as I feared it would so that was a pleasant surprise. I had three water bottle ejections so the lezyne side-loaders are a fail. Looking for something that is more secure, but a little easier to access the bottle than the Iris cages. I have some plastic elite race cages that I'll try next.

I had a low speed crash at 4 way stop in a small Wisconsin town, where a courteous driver and I both couldn't decide whether to stop or go, so gravity decided for me, I was able to unclip and get my foot down, but my heel slipped on the pavement and down I went. A little embarrassing and a sweet cat 5 tattoo with some blood accents on my calf for the rest of the ride.

The wheels and tires were great other than a pinch flat on the front when I hit a pothole on a descent in the dark and around 310k. Fortunately there was a streetlight at the bottom of the hill so I didn't have to change the tire in the dark.

Flat tally for the year so far:
* Bacchetta - 675 miles ridden - 2 flats
* All my other bikes combined - ~3,300 miles ridden - Zero flats

While I liked the recumbent a lot and can see the appeal, I've got 3-2 more brevets this season and plan to switch primarily back to the uprights to regain the saddle butt that I've undoubtedly lost over that past several of weeks that I've been riding the recumbent exclusively. I'll definitely keep the Strada in the rotation though.

Thanks all for your help getting this bike set up. It's been fun so far with more to come.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-04-19, 06:19 PM
Steamer

I completed the 400k on the Strada yesterday, which was overall a big success. I rode with my buddy John, who rides a carbon 700c Bacchetta and two other riders on uprights. We were able to average just under 15mph on the bike with a whopping 4 hours off the bike for a respectable 21 hour finish on a course that was hillier than I thought it was going to be.

My butt didn't bother me nearly as much as I feared it would so that was a pleasant surprise. I had three water bottle ejections so the lezyne side-loaders are a fail. Looking for something that is more secure, but a little easier to access the bottle than the Iris cages. I have some plastic elite race cages that I'll try next.

I had a low speed crash at 4 way stop in a small Wisconsin town, where a courteous driver and I both couldn't decide whether to stop or go, so gravity decided for me, I was able to unclip and get my foot down, but my heel slipped on the pavement and down I went. A little embarrassing and a sweet cat 5 tattoo with some blood accents on my calf for the rest of the ride.

The wheels and tires were great other than a pinch flat on the front when I hit a pothole on a descent in the dark and around 310k. Fortunately there was a streetlight at the bottom of the hill so I didn't have to change the tire in the dark.

Flat tally for the year so far:
* Bacchetta - 675 miles ridden - 2 flats
* All my other bikes combined - ~3,300 miles ridden - Zero flats

While I liked the recumbent a lot and can see the appeal, I've got 3-2 more brevets this season and plan to switch primarily back to the uprights to regain the saddle butt that I've undoubtedly lost over that past several of weeks that I've been riding the recumbent exclusively. I'll definitely keep the Strada in the rotation though.

Thanks all for your help getting this bike set up. It's been fun so far with more to come.
Congrats on a good ride. I'm impressed with how far you've come as a bent rider in such a short period of time.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 08-31-19, 07:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

@Steamer, I put a new chain on the Strada this morning and noticed that the lower Sram X7 pulley is cracked and the upper pulley is Shimano. Any recommendations on replacement pulleys for the 9 speed X7?
Old 08-31-19, 11:01 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I put on a set of 105 5700 pulleys from the parts bin that seem to work ok. I guess that means just about any 11T 9/10 speed pulleys will work. I'll go with these until the squeaking starts to bother me then replace them with something that has bearings.
Old 09-01-19, 08:16 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The great thing about recumbents is the fact you can wear almost anything you want to.
Old 09-04-19, 11:26 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I go with lycra shorts and a sport t-shirt like in your picture. No point in a cycling jersey, as they are tight, the pockets in the back useless, etc. I prefer lycra shorts for several reasons: 1) avoiding the wind-sail effect; 2) avoiding "leg creep"; 3) avoiding chain interference; and 4) comfort
Old 09-05-19, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
I go with lycra shorts and a sport t-shirt like in your picture. No point in a cycling jersey, as they are tight, the pockets in the back useless, etc. I prefer lycra shorts for several reasons: 1) avoiding the wind-sail effect; 2) avoiding "leg creep"; 3) avoiding chain interference; and 4) comfort
and 5)keeping biting or stinging bugs out of your pants.