Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Anyone replaced the stock saddle?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Anyone replaced the stock saddle?

Old 09-08-19, 05:30 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,004 Posts
Well , I did a 10 mile ride on my Roll yesterday, with a MTB saddle . No chafing , but I when I wake up this morning my hips are sore . A problem I didn’t have with the wider , more padded cruiser saddles .
So , do I go back with the Cruiser saddle and cut back on my ride distances ?
May go back with the Brooks . With the Brooks it seems to take three or four miles before I felt comfortable.
Ive tried so many saddles , I don’t think I’m ever going to find one that will work for all situations.
Maybe I should outfit certain bikes for certain ride distances .
I have a saddle on order that gets high ratings on Amazon that looks like a cross between a cruiser saddle and a MTB saddle. Maybe that one will work . If not I’ll return it .
Old 09-08-19, 08:52 AM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can I just say, that it seems by constantly switching seats, your "butt muscles" are not getting used to the seat and the seat is not getting broken in. Just my observation and not a criticism....
Old 09-08-19, 12:23 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by brdeleo49
Can I just say, that it seems by constantly switching seats, your "butt muscles" are not getting used to the seat and the seat is not getting broken in. Just my observation and not a criticism....
Could be , but ( no pun intended) when after a weeks worth of riding of about fifty miles the insides of your thighs are on fire , I think it’s time to figure out which saddle is causing the problem . So I went back to the MTB saddle with a narrower nose and the thighs got better , but the hips got sore .
I need to find a cruiser type saddle with a narrow nose .
My wife says I need to design my own saddle and have someone build it . It’d probably sell .
Old 09-08-19, 05:58 PM
OldCruiser

Did the saddle merry go round this afternoon. My specialized Hard Rock and Roll got Brooks B17 Imperials , my Electra Fat Tire got the Brooks B67 .
The Cruiser 1’s both got a Planet Bike ARS MTB seat temporarily, until I can acquire a couple more B67’s for them .
They all felt better for short rides .
The B67 has the wide rear with a narrow nose , as close to what I think a saddle needs to be on a cruiser. I Wish Brooks offered the B67 without the springs . I think I’d like one .
Old 09-08-19, 06:01 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Replaced saddle on Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Old 09-08-19, 11:04 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Do you mean the hips inside somewhere next to your *** and perineum? Or outside where your belt is next to for your pants?
Old 09-09-19, 05:30 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Tulok
Do you mean the hips inside somewhere next to your *** and perineum? Or outside where your belt is next to for your pants?
At the hip socket , wallet syndrome.
Your question made me google the cause . I’m riding more to help me lose weight . It Seems I’m pushing myself too much again , causing issues . I’ve been increasing my duration and the distances I’ve been riding . I need to learn patience .
but it’s strange that it didn’t bother me with the wider saddle . But the wider nose on the cruiser saddle did .
I may have had my saddle a tad too high when using the MTB saddles . But I thought it would be better on the knees .
BTW , the pain is better this morning.

Last edited by OldCruiser; 09-09-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 03:47 PM
OldCruiser

I return a couple of Cruiser type saddles , and got confirmation of my refund was in the form of a gift card .
Ive tried several Brooks models , but not the Flyer model .
So , I now have a Flyer on the the way . I was going to get another B67 , but decided to try something slimmer but sprung .
probably going on the Roll , and the b67 on the Roll will be back on my black Cruiser 1 .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 09-10-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 06:13 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
The OEM seat on my Felt cruiser is surprisingly comfortable. But then again I don't often ride more than 20kms.....and at a slow pace. I think the 2 rear springs help too.
Do you have any pics and details on the bike? It looks like a fatty.
Old 09-11-19, 07:36 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I put a B67 on my Roll and have been riding it all of August and into this month. I've ridden Brooks B17's before, so I'm familiar with what it takes to get them conformed to your backside. It's been a little slow to break in, so I'm wearing bike shorts for a while to help my comfort during the break in.
Amazon Prime told me that I could return mine if I didn't like it within 30 days. Of course, in like new condition. It's not going back I really like it on the Roll. Double check with Amazon first, but I'm really happy with it on my Roll. As far as the springs, they really do not bounce you around. It really takes a pretty good bump or hole to get it to compress and then you're glad it did. And I weigh 245.
Old 09-11-19, 08:16 AM
OldCruiser

I have a B17 Imperial on my Roll at the moment. After a 10 mile ride this morning, I think it’s going stay .
I also have an Imperial on my Hardrock .
With both bikes I’m not totally upright in my riding position, I’m slightly forward . I think I do better with the slimmer saddles unless I’m riding completely upright like I do on my Electra Cruiser 1’s .
With my Fat Tire Electra I’m sorta in between . I’m going to try the Flyer on it . If it doesn’t work I’ll try it on a Cruiser and if it doesn’t work there , I’ll send it back .
Old 09-11-19, 04:45 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I believe you asked earlier about an unsprung B67. A B 17 is an unsprung B66 so it would be the closest to a B67 in the seats without springs. Roger
Old 09-11-19, 05:12 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by rhenning
I believe you asked earlier about an unsprung B67. A B 17 is an unsprung B66 so it would be the closest to a B67 in the seats without springs. Roger
I thought a B66 was a double spring B67 . A B17 is an unsprung Flyer . As far as I know there are no unsprung wide cruiser saddle in the Brooks lineup.
Old 09-12-19, 06:29 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I guess what I was trying to say is a B17 is the widest Brooks saddle. It it half as wide as it is long and it is very comfortable after break in. I have several B17s the first of which I bought in 1974. Sold a lot of the bikes that they were on but most of the time the saddles stayed in my hands. I also buy any used Brooks that I can get my hands on. Same is new but already broken in. Roger
Old 09-12-19, 02:41 PM
OldCruiser

Quote “ The B190 features the largest leather top in Brooks catalog which provides unparalleled comfort. “
Features: Width: 255mm. Long: 300mm. Weight: 3.5 lbs.
“ Brooks also makes a B17 Narrow, with a 151mm width rather than the standard 175mm. “ .
Old 09-12-19, 05:03 PM
OldCruiser

Got my Brooks Flyer today . A little slimmer than my Imperial. I wasn’t expecting that . I’d read a lot of folks like the Flyer for Trekking.
I only had it on my bike for a mile and a half and returned home and put my Planet Bike MTB saddle back on . The Flyer was very painful even after a short ride . The MTB saddle was way more comfortable.
So , the Flyer is boxed up ready to drop off at the UPS store tomorrow morning.
I’ve decided the Cruisers need a B67 and the long distance Cruisers an Imperial.
Ill be ordering another B67 for my Electra C1 with the refund from the Flyer .
Old 09-13-19, 11:04 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I had a B17 on my Moto and even after 100 miles or so it was pure torture after about 10 miles of riding.
Old 09-15-19, 12:24 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
Do you have any pics and details on the bike? It looks like a fatty.
JehD....sure lots here
https://www.bikeforums.net/beach-cru...speedway2.html
Old 09-21-19, 08:58 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Moulded foam saddles circa 1980 were the way forward. Usually had a crocodile skin effect. I have one, but it requires a candlestick so it's not on my daily atm (no rails). Just a shame their manufacture helped punch a hole in the ozone layer...
Old 10-07-19, 06:16 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman
...on your beach cruiser for something that you found more comfortable? I can ride for about 6 miles and that's my rear end's limit due to the pain that I am experiencing. My legs could go on for a longer distance if I could overcome this. Thanks for any suggestions.
Clay
The saddle is usually the FIRST thing I replace. My all time favorite ass catcher, the Lepper Lounger Primus saddle in suede. Could ride for hours. Close 2nd, Brooks B33.
Brooks B33 dyed dark brown, frame/springs powder coated to match other components

Well weathered leather!
Likes For Cruiser2112:
Old 10-07-19, 06:17 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman
...on your beach cruiser for something that you found more comfortable? I can ride for about 6 miles and that's my rear end's limit due to the pain that I am experiencing. My legs could go on for a longer distance if I could overcome this. Thanks for any suggestions.
Clay
The saddle is usually the FIRST thing I replace. My all time favorite ass catcher, the Lepper Lounger Primus saddle in suede. Could ride for hours. Close 2nd, Brooks B33.
Brooks B33 dyed dark brown, frame/springs powder coated to match other components

Well weathered leather!
Old 10-07-19, 07:09 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks. I had never heard of the Lepper brand saddles before.
Likes For coopman: