Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sidewalk/sidepath riding... a different view.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sidewalk/sidepath riding... a different view.

Old 07-26-19, 06:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
This from some one who thinks 'not really" and "almost" are the same thing.

What is the purpose of the "legal requirements"?

If it is "not even close" close to the "minimum requirements", it's suggesting that it isn't a good place to ride (at 20+ mph!)

If it is "not even close" close to the "minimum requirements", it's dumb to complain that somebody isn't using it.

???
Congrats, you just made one more ignore list.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-26-19, 06:35 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Just wondering, since you could see yourself averaging at least 20 on that flat of a surface.

When you come up to the area with those terrifying driveways, you can't see yourself doing something simple like applying the brakes and slowing down? So that in the unlikely event a car pulled out of the driveway while you were going by, *YOU* could stop?

And once you've passed that small cluster of terrifying hazards of a few blind driveways, and then picking up the pace again?

Think of it as interval training?

Or think of it as entering a feed zone?

Or maybe just think of riding at a speed safe for current conditions?

Instead of averaging at least 20 mph, you'd be averaging at least 19 mph instead?

-mr. bill
Maybe I should have been more clear. I would ride a path like that until it got to the driveways as those are a recipe for disaster. In that kind of an environment, I will be in the road just like I am around here. Unless you're just trying to be an ass. In that case, I'll just ignore you like some of the others on here who just plain like to make snarky useless comments.
Old 07-26-19, 07:01 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Maybe you should have been more clear.

-mr. bill
Old 07-27-19, 09:13 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why do you think I care?/
Old 07-27-19, 10:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why do you think I care?
FWIW, I posted a couple weeks ago:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...So it seems to IGNORE implies more abhorrence, than simply DNR (Did Not Read), and how does the Ignored One learn of his Status?

Personally, I don’t ignore anyone:
"Likes" or "Points" [for] members”

Apropos of this thread, I once started a now-closed thread, “Bike Forums Hall of Fame.” I thought it would be nice to know, by popular acclaim, just who are the most savvy, knowledgeable, and reliable subscribers to Bike Forums.

After about 10 years here I have my preferences (and my own choices for the ones I consider “pills,” who are nonetheless fun to read).
(from a now-closed thread) … Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
Old 07-27-19, 10:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Maybe you should have been more clear.

-mr. bill
In fairness, I understood him pretty clearly. I think my paraphrase of him above was spot on.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-27-19, 04:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

FWIW, I posted a couple weeks ago:
When I announce I'm ignoring someone, it's as much about committing myself to not allowing myself to get fished into another round of repetitive inanity with a broken record poster as it is a message to anyone else.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-27-19, 05:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why do you think I care?
FWIW, I posted a couple weeks ago
...So it seems to IGNORE implies more abhorrence, than simply DNR (Did Not Read), and how does the Ignored One learn of his Status?
When I announce I'm ignoring someone, it's as much about committing myself to not allowing myself to get fished into another round of repetitive inanity with a broken record poster as it is a message to anyone else.
Makes sense, though who else but the Ignored One would want to know?
Old 07-27-19, 11:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Makes sense, though who else but the Ignored One would want to know?
A certain Stan Snarkenton of 123 Fake St., Springfield, West Dakota. He loves this kind of stuff.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-29-19, 04:40 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Oh, so being a few feet further out will help you when "a vehicle suddenly approaches..." and you swerve out of the way right into that motorist passing you on the left... Yeah! So much safer!
Ride in the left wheel track. When approaching a driveway/business entrance. More visibility for you, and anyone coming out of the driveway/business entrance.
Bottom line, cycling can be dangerous anywhere you are on two wheels. I fall about every time I go on rough off road trails. Not a car in sight. Ohhhh the danger. I have fallen on well built bike paths... hit a bunch of small, dark jewelry beads... they were like ball bearings. Any cyclist on the road has to maintain 360 degree situational awareness... what's happening in front of you, at the next intersection, at the left oncoming lane, the parked car next to you, and in front of you... any any approaching traffic behind you, in your lane AND the lane next to that lane.
It is how you acclimate yourself, and react to those risks. That can play a part in your survivability. Yes, A cyclist has to maintain 360 degree situational awareness at all times.
HOWEVER... ride on a sidepath, and all the action is in front of you... until you come to an intersection... as you approach, you look around. Of course if there is a driveway every 100 feet, well you may as well be on the road. But if you have a mile or more of sidepath... that's a mile of not staring at a mirror. Even a 1/4 mile of not watching for overtaking traffic is relaxing.
On a sidepath, anything can still happen. From a chunk out of the riding surface(or when I hit a traffic light foundation, when a traffic light had been moved, but the old foundation left in place). To an animal suddenly appearing out of nowhere.
I have done plenty of long trips on long isolated country roads (of course no sidepath, and often little shoulder) and the indication of approaching traffic was being able to hear those tires from a long way back... but between those rare vehicle approaches... there were wonderful long gaps of stress free cycling. Cycling that is like heaven. You just glide along care free... seriously "Just Riding Along." I get small similar JRA "shots" when riding on good paths and some local, available sidepaths. JRA. (sorry, city folks.)
I don't hear the tires, but the engines, from a fair distance.
Being vehicular, on the typical non-country road, requires constant focus and vigilance. It is a totally different feeling. Sure, you get good, you stay alert, and you live.
But it isn't JRA!
The same thing applies to riding in urban/surburban traffic.
Truth be told, I'll take the long, quiet, isolated, country journey anytime. (spinning for hours, up and down hill and dale ) But you gotta get to the country to have such a ride.
I have been on country rides before. Yes, It is less traffic-populated. But the situational awareness cannot be any less. Because the risk of animals being in the road, goes up.
Old 07-30-19, 09:25 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I think if you and your bike are on the sidewalk together with other people on the sidewalk with you, you should be walking the bike, not riding it. If you're moving slowly enough not to disrupt walkers, then walk. If you're moving fast enough to be a nuisance and a danger to pedestrians, you shouldn't be on the sidewalk. Simple.

However, when I've been out on tour, I've occasionally ridden on sidewalks for short distances so as not to be killed, and always in urban sprawl areas where you don't usually see pedestrians or cyclists, and only for a few blocks until I come to a turn-off/bypass. (If there are pedestrians, I walk the bike)
Likes For Brett A: