Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Outdoor water fountains (the lack thereof)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Outdoor water fountains (the lack thereof)

Old 07-29-19, 06:12 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A guy in my club sometimes leads a ride in a relatively rural area. A couple of times we used a private golf course as a rest/water/bathroom stop. The place welcomed us. There is a public course not all that far from my house with bathrooms and water.
Thats terrific! What I saw on the maps were the water containers on certain holes on the courses. I’d rather see water available at public parks.
Old 08-05-19, 09:57 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Generally, when I go out on rides I plan on being 100% self-sufficient barring extreme circumstances, meaning I carry snacks/food, water, repair kit/tools and a small first-aid kit, and I don't have a dependency on or an expectation to use water fountains or convenience stores.
Not me, not even an option for fluids. On anything above 65F, I use 32oz of water easily in 20 miles and at least 96oz in 40 miles. It goes up exponentially with miles and temperature from there. I probably drank 3 gallons on a ride last weekend and poured another 1-2 over my head and still ended short at 5 lbs lower. I do carry adequate repair/medical/tools/energy. Not related to water but you mentioned self sufficient... On that ride last weekend I had a quick link break on the C&O canal about 15 miles from anything. I've been carrying a spare one with me for years and never had to use it. Two minutes later I was on my way like it never happened.

Last edited by u235; 08-05-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-05-19, 11:30 AM
ADSPRU
A. A. Ron

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I plan my route out around hydration requirements. The local rail trail has easy offs to get to restaurants and gas stations for refills. Most places are very accommodating.