Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

"Regional" numbness

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

"Regional" numbness

Old 10-19-19, 11:57 AM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I know I'm late to the game but wanted to chime in as I've been dealing with and working through solutions for this issue for the past month riding indoors on rollers which obviously exacerbated, or at least brought to light an issue with my riding mechanics.

In my case, it was less to do with seat selection, but more seat height and fore/aft.

I've historically been an ankler, and tend to ride with a pretty aggressive ankle angle. Since being stationary, I bit my teeth into DIY bike fit using "Bike Fast Fit" (iOS, Android app), and only then realized how severe my ankling was. After reducing to within normal tolerances; ~3-5 degrees at 90, and 15-20 degrees at 180 through a combination of seat height reduction (SIGNIFICANT 38mm drop) and fore/aft positioning (mostly forward. I used Tibial Tuberosity as a guide- though am roughly 20mm over spindle) I've completely alleviated numbness.

My recent test rides have been upwards of 2 hours (90-100rpm @40Kmh with 550w resistance) with ZERO stand up/sprint time; so basically on the nuts 100%. Not only have I relieved the numbness in my member, but I've also reduced large toe numbness as well.

Side note, though often unmentioned, cleat fore/aft can also have an impact here as well, though more with toe numbness, but you may be artificially increasing the range of your ankle and thus putting more pressure down into the seat with every pedal stroke..

May your members remain sensitive.
Likes For markynels:
Old 08-22-20, 09:22 AM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Based on the conversation in this thread I put one of these Selle SMP VT30C saddles on my bike. It arrived yesterday and I put about 9 miles on it while making adjustments. This morning, I rode 28, no member numbness. I'm thrilled. Right now the saddle is level, I may tip it down slightly to see if it improves comfort on the drop bars.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/vt30c.html
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 02-25-21, 04:40 AM
arizkohli

Bikes: Scott Addict 20 rim brakes, Bergamont Grandurance RD5

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Factor
Based on the conversation in this thread I put one of these Selle SMP VT30C saddles on my bike. It arrived yesterday and I put about 9 miles on it while making adjustments. This morning, I rode 28, no member numbness. I'm thrilled. Right now the saddle is level, I may tip it down slightly to see if it improves comfort on the drop bars.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/vt30c.html
Hey I'm thinking of getting the vt30c to ease perineum pressure? What are your thoughts on it after all this while as a long term user? What are your body proportions?

The Adamo island reef saddle by ISM helped me a lot but I find it too wide at the nose.
Old 02-25-21, 04:46 AM
Hit Factor

Originally Posted by arizkohli
Hey I'm thinking of getting the vt30c to ease perineum pressure? What are your thoughts on it after all this while as a long term user? What are your body proportions?

The Adamo island reef saddle by ISM helped me a lot but I find it too wide at the nose.
I still like the saddle, no plans on making a change. At the end of last season I was riding metric centuries. Old man winter is just now releasing his grip on Michigan, looking forward to riding again. I'm 6'0" 200 pounds, I lost 100 pounds last year.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 02-25-21, 05:06 AM
arizkohli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still like the saddle, no plans on making a change. At the end of last season I was riding metric centuries. Old man winter is just now releasing his grip on Michigan, looking forward to riding again. I'm 6'0" 200 pounds, I lost 100 pounds last year.
Awesome Hit Factor. So no numbness tingling or genital issues right? No chaffing? Finding the perfect saddle is driving me insane.
Old 02-25-21, 05:14 AM
Hit Factor

Awesome Hit Factor. So no numbness tingling or genital issues right? No chaffing? Finding the perfect saddle is driving me insane.
No numbness - that's what I was trying to solve. Tipping the nose down and lowering the saddle were the last mechanical adjustments.

Standing up and taking the pressure off for 15-30 seconds every ten minutes or so has become part of my routine.

I think chaffing is more of a shorts issue, at least it was for me. Bibs work better for me.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 03-01-21, 02:33 AM
arizkohli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I'm using the ISM PN1.1 similar in shape to Adamo with thin, unpadded shorts. I also thought it felt too wide at the nose at first. I had minor chafing for a few days and general discomfort using it.

Incredibly, after few weeks of use, all problems are gone! ISM company mentioned about an "adaptation period" and maybe that's it. Now, it's the most comfortable saddle I ever used!

I did change my riding posture though like rotating my pelvis forward more (flatter back) so I'm sitting on the "pubic rami" bone instead of the sit bone (as many youtube videos about ISM saddles seem to suggest)

I'm definitely sticking with ISM saddles indefinitely!
I've been riding it over 2 weeks now; I don't have chaffing in the strictest sense but I've got blisters on the crease of my left side where the thigh meets the crotch. It started when I rode this saddle for the first time with terrible MTB padded shorts and since I haven't given it a rest it is not going away. But I do still feel the saddle is too wide at the nose. Maybe I need to try it a bit longer to see how it improves.
Old 03-01-21, 02:38 AM
arizkohli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No numbness - that's what I was trying to solve. Tipping the nose down and lowering the saddle were the last mechanical adjustments.

Standing up and taking the pressure off for 15-30 seconds every ten minutes or so has become part of my routine.

I think chaffing is more of a shorts issue, at least it was for me. Bibs work better for me.
Hit Factor, did you try any of the traditional typical SMP styled saddles before the vt30c? If yes was this better than those? I can purchase only one saddle and I'm torn between the Well M1 Gel as recommended by SMP based on my weight and this one? I know the typical SMPs lock the rider in a static position but I like to move around on the saddle. Also, I've had some success with a similar sized prologo and ISM saddle.
Old 03-01-21, 05:10 AM
Hit Factor

Hit Factor, did you try any of the traditional typical SMP styled saddles before the vt30c?
No, I did not.

I move around on this saddle, depending on where I grip the handlebar.

You can always sell a lightly used saddle, no need to feel stuck. You might loose a couple bucks in the deal, but a bad saddle fit can't be tolerated.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 03-01-21, 12:15 PM
TMcDan78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
NM - saw what I was looking for. Glad carbon saddle fixed it!
Old 03-03-21, 02:04 AM
arizkohli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Asymmetric problems is often caused by the saddle height being too high.

Another issue, common with ISM saddles is incorrect fore and aft adjustment. If memory serves me correctly, ISM saddle should be installed 2 to 3 inches further to the back (measured from the saddle nose) compared to regular nosed saddles.

I had the same issue at first with the saddle felt like it was too wide at the nose and I had chaffing at the same location you had blisters but in equal degree left and right.

I let it rest for a bit, just enough for the chaffing to heal and then got back to it and problem did not return.
I think my blisters started when I first installed the adamo saddle and it was too high. I have slid the saddle back but my previous prologo was also a short nosed saddle so not too much. I'm getting accustomed to it now and the blisters are slowly reducing. I think I need like 3-4 days off the saddle to recover completely.
Old 03-03-21, 06:00 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Have you had a saddle fit?
Old 03-04-21, 03:05 AM
arizkohli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
Have you had a saddle fit?
I've had a bike fit done. The saddle could not be adjusted as per ISM's recommendations as I didn't have a set back seat post then. Subsequently I got it and adjusted as per ISM specs.
Old 03-04-21, 03:13 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
I've had a bike fit done. The saddle could not be adjusted as per ISM's recommendations as I didn't have a set back seat post then. Subsequently I got it and adjusted as per ISM specs.
When you had the bike fit, did they use saddle mapping pressure pads? This will determin where you sit bones are and how you move on the saddle when you ride and will also look at your flexability
Old 03-04-21, 06:28 AM
arizkohli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
When you had the bike fit, did they use saddle mapping pressure pads? This will determin where you sit bones are and how you move on the saddle when you ride and will also look at your flexability
Unfortunately we don't have such services here so couldn't get sit bones measured nor any pressure maps