Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bling and Being Noticed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bling and Being Noticed

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 05:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I have 17 bicycles and in most cases the rarest and most valuable ones do not get nearly as much attention as the beaters and the workhorses... my folder and my extra bike are unusual enough that it is rare for me to go anywhere without someone commenting and the Garlatti is a sea of shiny chrome so people notice the frame and fork but not the vintage parts attached to it which are worth 3-4 times as much as bike.

My handbuilt Ron Cooper is just an old 10 speed to most and my 1957 Peugeot barely gets a second glance save for when I run into other French bike fans... same thing happens with the mid 50's Raleighs but my 1951 CCM beater gets a lot of love.

I can't take my customized Gran Sport anywhere.. it is pretty funky and is also a fixed gear so it encourages questions.
Old 09-21-11, 05:16 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I am betting that you will get more comments with some nice sparkly handle bar tassels.
Probably. I've come out to my bike, locked to rack outside a store, to find someone fondling my handle bar tape more than once. It's just rubberized cork, coated in fifteen layers of shellac, so I'm always a little surprised by that. Only blingy things on the bike are the dyno hub and lights, and no one ever comments on them (except to tell me I forgot to turn them off.).
Old 09-21-11, 05:46 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If I can conclude anything from the above postings it's that it's the outrageous, garish, unusual and weird that gets most of the attention and draws the most comments. The small stuff, even if it's really expensive and top-drawer, is barely noticed.
Honestly, what do you want me to say about your headset?

"You have a Chris King headset! You are my new hero. May I draft you?"

"How do you like your Chris King headset? I'm considering the purchase of a high quality headset to show my class."

"I'm a drooling idiot, may I lick your Chris King headset?"
Old 09-21-11, 07:23 PM
bionnaki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm too poor to buy crap...or rather, I like the saying "Buy once, cry once."

so I save up for weeks, months for the "best" stuff (meaning long lasting, durable, mechanically sound). Or I sell a couple components that are collecting dust.

it just happens that the "best" stuff tends to look great as well.

if no one ever notices my bike, I'm fine with that.

of course, not all the "best" stuff is expensive. example: $12 stainless steel king cages. I dont use any other cage -- they're perfect and no desire to use anything else. that's another kind of bling, I suppose. When I see someone with king cages, I think there's a guy that knows how to do it right.

Last edited by bionnaki; 09-21-11 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 07:38 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
One thing I'll add about blingy vintage bikes: few people really care about or notice those because of the bling, either. I have my full Campy Nuovo Record equipped '71 Schwinn Paramount hanging in my bike shop; and hardly anyone notices it. When someone does notice it, a typical comment is something like, "Oh, I used to have a bike just like that." My interest piqued, I'll ask, "you had a Paramount?" They'll look at me blankly and say something like, "Oh, I don't know what it was called, just some bike we bought at JC Penney." I'll be tempted, for a moment, to explain to them about "the cage" at the Chicago Schwinn plant where the Paramounts were made by hand of Reynolds 531 and Nervex Professional lugs.....and then I just let it pass. They really don't care.

Bling, circa 1971:

Old 09-21-11, 07:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Honestly, what do you want me to say about your headset?

"You have a Chris King headset! You are my new hero. May I draft you?"

"How do you like your Chris King headset? I'm considering the purchase of a high quality headset to show my class."

"I'm a drooling idiot, may I lick your Chris King headset?"
None of the above and I wasn't focused on just a headset, CK or any other, but on upper tier components in general. Are they conversation starters or just overlooked?
Old 09-21-11, 07:56 PM
robberry

Bikes: Trek 3900, Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going slow enough for someone to admire your bike, you're doing it wrong.
Old 09-21-11, 08:02 PM
robberry

Bikes: Trek 3900, Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My last bike was pretty ******, but some asshat stole it.

Old 09-21-11, 10:32 PM
ethman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with CK headsets??? Of all the parts of a bike to spend a lot of money on I've never understood this one. Maybe someone can enlighten me....
Old 09-22-11, 05:24 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
None of the above and I wasn't focused on just a headset, CK or any other, but on upper tier components in general. Are they conversation starters or just overlooked?
Skinny seats are probably the best conversation starter. Lay people often look at my ample rear end and my narrow bike seat and feel compelled to comment.

With my cycling friends, the best conversation starter is probably for me to show up w/something new and/or unusual, or that I haven't ridden in awhile -- for example, when I dragged out my 26er again after two seasons of 29er riding, or when I built up a Giant STP with pink handgrips for the local skatepark.

The trick in my book when it comes to commenting on parts is to make people feel good about what they have. Commenting on a CK headset is no challenge at all. (My comment would be along the lines of "waste of money"). The real trick is to be able to talk up someone's Trek 4500 or similar bike.

Two years ago my cousin bought her two children bikes. I made quite a few comments about the 26er for the older girl, and hardly said a word about the 20-inch wheel bike for the younger girl. Whereupon the younger girl was distraught. Whereupon I learned to always, always, always find something on any bike to talk about and compliment.

So, what can you say to make your neighbor feel good about his brand new wally-world bike? That's the real challenge.
Old 09-22-11, 01:18 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ethman
Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with CK headsets??? Of all the parts of a bike to spend a lot of money on I've never understood this one. Maybe someone can enlighten me....
I do not have a CK headset on any of my current bikes, but I have had one on a bike (lost to a thief) in the past. They truly are a piece of fantastic engineering. What I really appreciated about them was the reliability (install and forget). Really a good piece of equipment that is well designed and manufactured.

Are they worth the money? Unequivocally yes, in my opinion.
Old 09-22-11, 03:55 PM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my CK headset and I don't care what anybody else thinks. I bought really expensive Ti CK cages for my Ti bike and I don't care if you notice or not. I like CK cause he makes free coffee and great food at local sponsored events, he's approachable and easy to talk to, he passes out nice stickers when he has them, and the design and engineering of his components is first rate.

When I bought my Moots, it was bling city - campy chorus group, ck headset, Thompson post and stem. It was a thing of beauty to me and I had no trouble convincing myself to buy it and I love it every single mile. The bling is for me and me alone. If you're nice, I'll let you have some too. The best thing about my bike is that it's so dirty now that only I can see the bling, and it still rewards with flawless miles.
Old 09-23-11, 02:34 PM
yellowdog76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
My whole bike is BLING!!!

Green
Guinness. I approve
Old 09-23-11, 02:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Built this up from spare parts yesterday... bike boom Peugeot AO8.

Stopped for coffee after physio and half a dozen folks commented on the beautiful old bike... mebbe it is the fact it is white and has lined lugs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2011ao8a.jpg (98.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-23-11, 03:33 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is another thread here where the OP is debating buying a Chris King headset vs a lower cost one and the concept of "bling" and having others notice and admire your bike has been raised. So, do other riders notice and comment on the high-zoot items on your bike? I'm not questioning the durability, reliability or functioning of top tier components, just are they noticed by others.

I have a '06 Litespeed Tuscanny with all Campy Chorus components and a CK headset. This bike is almost 6 years and 20,000 miles old and has been on numerous club and organized mass rides so lots of other riders have seen it. There have been a few who commented on it being a Litespeed (mostly other Litespeed owners) but absolutely no one has mentioned the Campy group and the headset is also completely ignored despite having "KING" in bold letters around both cups and the top cap.

So, my question is are we kidding ourselves that having boutique components impresses other riders or are we just paying a lot for no recognition.
Some of all of that. Only an experienced, savvy cyclist will ever notice or care... or even know he should care.
The vast majority of people, even most cyclists, are too absorbed to really notice YOU, let alone your bikes little doo-dads. If they do and say something - okay great. And?

Purchasing expensive **** for your bike when it isn't needed is a choice you make. If you do it to impress others, well, that's worth something, I suppose.
Old 09-23-11, 05:00 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My rig gets compliments every day.

Not from the loser bike snob wannabe racers you're trying to impress though.

I've installed several components selected specifically to keep geeks like you from admiring my bike.

How do you like my steel headset, stem, handlebars, barends?
Old 09-23-11, 05:19 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
^^ The only comment I can make is you should really put plugs in the ends of those bars. Know what a cookie cutter is?
Old 09-23-11, 05:30 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That's hardly a cookie cutter. I think it very unlikely that my handlebars could penetrate human skin. The "sharp edge" is more than 4mm wide. But I'll put plugs in if it will prevent bike geeks from talking to me. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-23-11, 05:31 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
^^ The only comment I can make is you should really put plugs in the ends of those bars. Know what a cookie cutter is?
Oh yeah. An unplugged bar could take a core sample of your abdomen in a crash.
Old 09-23-11, 05:33 PM
Dan Burkhart 

That's hardly a cookie cutter. I think it very unlikely that my handlebars could penetrate human skin. The "sharp edge" is more than 4mm wide. But I'll put plugs in if it will prevent bike geeks from talking to me. Thanks for the tip.
Well, whatever motivates you to do it, it is a good idea.
Old 09-23-11, 05:35 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Oh yeah. An unplugged bar could take a core sample of your abdomen in a crash.
How far can it penetrate with a flush barend attached?
Old 09-23-11, 05:46 PM
Dan Burkhart 

How far can it penetrate with a flush barend attached?
I'm not really willing to volunteer to help compile test data on that.
Old 09-23-11, 05:55 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, OK. Inner diameter is small. Most plugs won't fit, but I'll find some. There are plugs in the barends at least.
Old 09-23-11, 06:02 PM
Dan Burkhart 

OK, OK. Inner diameter is small. Most plugs won't fit, but I'll find some. There are plugs in the barends at least.
Whatever, I'm still impressed with your rig and the backdrops you keep coming up with.
Old 09-23-11, 06:16 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK is this better? I had to beat on them with a hammer to get them in all the way and I sort of exposed some of the dangerous steel edge in the process. Sorry for the lousy background.

None of these fit either

Can anyone help me source Chris King bar end plugs that will work with thick steel handlebar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.