Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Questioning my recent Hybrid purchase...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Questioning my recent Hybrid purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 10:36 AM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, my husband and I were in the same spot as you were a few years ago. We wanted to get into biking because we fondly remembered the freedom of riding a bike when we were kids. We dived right in. I got a MTB because my brother told me that's what I wanted and my husband got a Trek FX 7.4 disc. Wow, what an amazingly bad idea on my part. We started with "short" 10 mile rides and I found that I coudln't keep up. And when I could, I was so winded from pedaling to keep up. We started riding further and further and I realized I had the wrong tool.

My bike was a dual suspension and it was slow because we rode only on paved roads. The MTB was great when my brother came to ride with me but he lives 1 hour away and so I did it maybe once or twice every few months.

So then I went and bought a Giant Escape Hybrid. Wow, what a difference. Much faster and it was so much fun to be able to keep up with my husband. We started riding further and more miles. We started riding 40 - 50 miles. By the end of our first year riding bikes, we were hooked. But, both of us were having problems getting any faster. We would average only 12-13 mph. Our hands would go numb, feet went numb and were just generally uncomfortable at the 30 - 40 mile mark. We knew we wanted to ride further but those types of rides weren't fun for us but we were bound and determined to go further.

So the following year, I built up a Lynskey Ti drop bar bike and him? He likes off the shelf and bought a Cannondale Synapse Carbon (105). WOW, what a huge difference. We aren't "much" faster, only 4 - 5 mph faster on average, but it's so much more comfortable now. We ride 50 miles without any hesitation and at the end, we don't feel beat up. No numb hands, butt, or feet.

Anyway, just thought I'd share our experience and journey. Buying a bike doesn't have to be a one and done. You will evolve and your riding will evolve. A drop bar bike may not be for you, but in my way of thinking, how do you know until you try it? You could go rent different bikes and decide what you like best. Wisconsin seems to be the land of bikes with so many custom builders. There are loads of bike shops that will rent you bikes. So I encourage you to go try different ones. Not just around the parking lot, but take extended rides and report back. Or you could do like many of us and live the n+1 lifestyle. I'm in the process of building a Surly Pacer right now, not because I need it, but because I'm on a steel is real kick :-).
Old 05-27-16, 07:51 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Inara220

At the end of summer, we'll see how many miles I have and make a decision about searching for bike #2 .
Beware of the N+1 syndrome! Symptoms include a smaller bank account and less room in your house. I had a serious talk with myself recently about limiting my N number to 8. Which seems totally resonable for someone that lives in a 1 bedroom apartment.
Old 05-27-16, 09:12 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
And I thought the magic number was 10 per room.
Old 05-28-16, 12:30 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Thank you all so soo much for the suggestions!!!

Last few days I have taken off from riding as I am dealing with this stupid upper respiratory infection which is making me cough like I'm trying to expel my lungs.

I think for better or worse, I am stuck with the Neko for now. I agree with someone who described the front shocks as "unnecessary weight", thankgoodness they are the kind that turns on and off. (I have yet to ride with them "on", so they are acting like a rigid fork right now)

I will take my bike to a different bike store and maybe get their opinion on the fit and see about getting either seat adjusted or handlebars adjusted... and possible look at getting something to add to the bar to give me more hand position options.

I also sit at a desk most of the day, I have been trying to consistently work on my posture but I know it's not optimal. That might be helping the aggravation.

At the end of summer, we'll see how many miles I have and make a decision about searching for bike #2 . I may have a friend who might possibly want my bike (I could sell it to her). She's a little shorter than me so I wonder if the bike will fit her better.
Unnecessary weight. You said it. Just quick looked up the weight difference between the FX 7.4 and the Neko. FX weighs 23 lbs. Neko weighs 28 lbs. I am not a weight weenie , but 5 lbs of bike weight is a lot.

Those of us who bother to give advice hope help beginners avoid having to buy 2 bikes, though I suppose we all need to go through a learning process.
Old 06-05-16, 12:51 PM
Inara220

Bikes: Felt V85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Unnecessary weight. You said it. Just quick looked up the weight difference between the FX 7.4 and the Neko. FX weighs 23 lbs. Neko weighs 28 lbs. I am not a weight weenie , but 5 lbs of bike weight is a lot.

Those of us who bother to give advice hope help beginners avoid having to buy 2 bikes, though I suppose we all need to go through a learning process.
Update: Well we had some bad weather and I did not get a chance to bike much, until today when I did a 25 mile.

I have been thinking about all of your advice and mulling it over. I have been hesitant to modify my bike (both from a money and original value perspective) because I was still thinking about throwing in the towel and getting a new bike.

After today's 25 mile ride, where my hands were numb after 5 miles... I just realized that I hate this bike. I hate the shocks that I'm not using that are adding 5 lbs to the weight. I hate the handle bars. I think my posture is inefficient and honestly, I was jealous of all the road bikes out there.

So now I'm exploring my options for getting rid of this bike and getting a new one. I am a bit hesitant to go back to the same store but I sent them an email with a description of the problems I am having and asking them what my options are. According to their site about "trade in value"... I am screwed and better off selling my bike to my friend. If that is the case, I will probably go to a different bike shop and be much more careful about my purchase.

But I am going to get a road bike. Shocks and potholes be damned... I'd rather be able to go faster and father and work towards a century ride.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate all the excellent advice.
Old 06-05-16, 01:04 PM
MRT2

Update: Well we had some bad weather and I did not get a chance to bike much, until today when I did a 25 mile.

I have been thinking about all of your advice and mulling it over. I have been hesitant to modify my bike (both from a money and original value perspective) because I was still thinking about throwing in the towel and getting a new bike.

After today's 25 mile ride, where my hands were numb after 5 miles... I just realized that I hate this bike. I hate the shocks that I'm not using that are adding 5 lbs to the weight. I hate the handle bars. I think my posture is inefficient and honestly, I was jealous of all the road bikes out there.

So now I'm exploring my options for getting rid of this bike and getting a new one. I am a bit hesitant to go back to the same store but I sent them an email with a description of the problems I am having and asking them what my options are. According to their site about "trade in value"... I am screwed and better off selling my bike to my friend. If that is the case, I will probably go to a different bike shop and be much more careful about my purchase.

But I am going to get a road bike. Shocks and potholes be damned... I'd rather be able to go faster and father and work towards a century ride.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate all the excellent advice.
Take your time and test ride a lot of different bikes. Try aluminum, carbon and steel bikes. Try bikes with more aggressive and more upright geometry. Try bikes with clearance for wider tires (for greater versatility). Try bikes with compact double drivetrains, triples (if you can find them), and 1x drivetrains (if you can find them).
Old 06-05-16, 02:47 PM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take your time and test ride a lot of different bikes. Try aluminum, carbon and steel bikes. Try bikes with more aggressive and more upright geometry. Try bikes with clearance for wider tires (for greater versatility). Try bikes with compact double drivetrains, triples (if you can find them), and 1x drivetrains (if you can find them).
More excellent news.... Wheel and Sprocket is going to let me trade it in for full value (minus $50 cleaning fee) even though I am beyond the 30 days purchase window.

I am so thrilled.

They sell Trek, Felt, and Origin 8 and some other brands but those appear to have models in my price range... I'd like to stick around 900 since that is what I have a credit for basically.

AHHHHH!!!!! The only problem is that they don't really let you test drive their bikes beyond just the parking lot... maybe I'll just ride in circles in the parking lot for half hour to make sure my hands don't get numb.
Old 06-05-16, 03:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My hands/finger get numb. I assume I'm probably gripping the handlebars too tightly and I suspect this might just take some getting used to. But I found myself wanting to change hand positions (not really possible on the flat bar handlebars). On the longer distance ride, I also found myself wanting to be in a more bent over position.
Glad you're enjoying all that Wisconsin has to offer!

Just to mention an alternative worth considering... flat bars kill my hands too, but I prefer a more upright posture, so I've switched all of my bikes to so called "swept" or "north road" style bars. Swept bars are familiar from the old fashioned English roadster, but modern swept bars come in a variety of styles, for instance with different angles, and so forth. The bike that I use for any kind of longer rides is basically a sporty hybrid, and I changed its flat bar to a FSA Metropolis swept bar. This was a relatively inexpensive upgrade because I used the same controls and hand grips -- sometimes you might need one or more longer cables depending on how your hybrid is cabled.

In terms of comfort, I can ride forever with no discomfort to my wrists, with just one hand position. The week after I installed the FSA bar, my family took a 50 mile ride on the Military Ridge state trail for Mothers Day.

If you and the beau don't like the same style of riding, find some other riding buddies. My spouse runs marathons, and I don't run at all, yet we get along fine.
Old 06-05-16, 03:20 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
More excellent news.... Wheel and Sprocket is going to let me trade it in for full value (minus $50 cleaning fee) even though I am beyond the 30 days purchase window.

I am so thrilled.

They sell Trek, Felt, and Origin 8 and some other brands but those appear to have models in my price range... I'd like to stick around 900 since that is what I have a credit for basically.

AHHHHH!!!!! The only problem is that they don't really let you test drive their bikes beyond just the parking lot... maybe I'll just ride in circles in the parking lot for half hour to make sure my hands don't get numb.
In the Trek range, you pretty much will have to look at the Lexa range if you want a WSD bike.

Even though it is slightly above your stated price range, the Lexa SL looks to be a very nice bike for the price and is the sort of bike one could happily live with for many years.

It also has a 11-32 cassette, whilst the cheaper bikes in the Lexa range are 11-28.

Considering you are pretty much committed to buying a bike from this store no matter what, put the hard word on them to let you take it for a test ride beyond the parking lot, so you won't have to go through all the buyer's remorse again.
Old 06-05-16, 04:08 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
In the Trek range, you pretty much will have to look at the Lexa range if you want a WSD bike.

Even though it is slightly above your stated price range, the Lexa SL looks to be a very nice bike for the price and is the sort of bike one could happily live with for many years.

It also has a 11-32 cassette, whilst the cheaper bikes in the Lexa range are 11-28.

Considering you are pretty much committed to buying a bike from this store no matter what, put the hard word on them to let you take it for a test ride beyond the parking lot, so you won't have to go through all the buyer's remorse again.
OP is 5'8" so she may well fit a men's bike. My wife is 5'7" and she rides a 51 cm Jamis men's road bike. Pretty much fits her perfectly. If she went with a women's model, she might have had to go up a size.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-05-16 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-05-16, 04:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Indeed. I'm not an authoritarian, so I tend to assume that all "policies" are negotiable. The shop knows the OP by now, and can bend their rules.
Old 06-05-16, 04:28 PM
MRT2

I am so thrilled.

I am not a huge Wheel and Sprocket fan, but that is pretty good customer service. Now, if they can only help you find the right bike for you. If you are looking at a Trek road bike, the Lexa S in size 54 looks pretty good. Alternately, you might like the men's version, which is, I believe, the 1.2. FYI, the weight of the Lexa S is 20.85 lbs! In addition to the range of fine Trek road bikes, also take a look at Felt.

Surprised Wheel and Sprocket limits test rides to the parking lot. If hand numbness is an issue, you obviously need to ride longer than 3 minutes around the parking lot. They really need to do better. Other places I have done business with in the Milwaukee area (The Bike Fixers, Bikesmiths, Rainbow Jersey, Extreme Ski and Bike) do not limit your test rides to a short spin around the parking lot. On the other hand, W & S is taking back a second bike for an exchange, which is very good service, so I guess you cannot complain.
Old 06-05-16, 04:43 PM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed on the pretty good customer service. I am THRILLED. I was going to cut my losses with them and go to a place like Erik's.

I am not commited to getting a women's bike... my original bike that I really liked was the FX7.4 (men's) and the bike fitter that originally put me on that bike said that at my height, I would probably be more comfortable on a mens anyways. (since I have now been on several trips, and dealt with different people... I now realize that THAT GUY was the best one I had made contact with)

I was looking at their website in the 700-1200 range (I went above my 900 budget just to see what else was out there) and the Salsa Warbird 3 came up. I see that was mentioned upthread as being an excellent bike so I think I will put that on my list of bikes to try.

Also the Trek Crossrip.

I will look at the Lexa as suggested above.

My goal is to get the LIGHTEST bike that FITS and is within a reasonable price range.
I want the option of putting slightly thicker/nubby tires for when I'm feeling rugged... but 99.9% of the time I see myself on reasonably paved roads/paths.
Old 06-05-16, 04:44 PM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a huge Wheel and Sprocket fan, but that is pretty good customer service. Now, if they can only help you find the right bike for you. If you are looking at a Trek road bike, the Lexa S in size 54 looks pretty good. Alternately, you might like the men's version, which is, I believe, the 1.2. FYI, the weight of the Lexa S is 20.85 lbs! In addition to the range of fine Trek road bikes, also take a look at Felt.

Surprised Wheel and Sprocket limits test rides to the parking lot. If hand numbness is an issue, you obviously need to ride longer than 3 minutes around the parking lot. They really need to do better. Other places I have done business with in the Milwaukee area (The Bike Fixers, Bikesmiths, Rainbow Jersey, Extreme Ski and Bike) do not limit your test rides to a short spin around the parking lot. On the other hand, W & S is taking back a second bike for an exchange, which is very good service, so I guess you cannot complain.
Oh and one more thing... if I have to circle their parking lot for 30 minutes, I will, just to make sure it stays comfortable!
Old 06-05-16, 04:49 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Oh and one more thing... if I have to circle their parking lot for 30 minutes, I will, just to make sure it stays comfortable!
In addition to the parking lot, ask if they'll mount the bike to a trainer in the shop and let you test ride it for 30 minutes. They're likely to agree, since there's no risk to them of the bike coming back in less-than-new condition.
Old 06-05-16, 04:54 PM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
In addition to the parking lot, ask if they'll mount the bike to a trainer in the shop and let you test ride it for 30 minutes. They're likely to agree, since there's no risk to them of the bike coming back in less-than-new condition.
Oh my gosh... I didn't even think of that... THANK YOU! That sounds way more reasonable than my idea... HA!
Old 06-05-16, 05:49 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You might be in the small percentage of unfortunates like myself that get numbness due to ANY twisting of the forearms.

I've tried a North Road bar (OEM) and a flatbar in my hybrid. I get numbness in about an hour.

My Novarra Randonee has nearly identical geometry but drop bars. No numbness.

Therefore, if you find that you have numbness riding for 30-60 minutes on the trainer, ask to see a Cyclocross bike with dropbars.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-16, 07:05 PM
MRT2

Agreed on the pretty good customer service. I am THRILLED. I was going to cut my losses with them and go to a place like Erik's.

I am not commited to getting a women's bike... my original bike that I really liked was the FX7.4 (men's) and the bike fitter that originally put me on that bike said that at my height, I would probably be more comfortable on a mens anyways. (since I have now been on several trips, and dealt with different people... I now realize that THAT GUY was the best one I had made contact with)

I was looking at their website in the 700-1200 range (I went above my 900 budget just to see what else was out there) and the Salsa Warbird 3 came up. I see that was mentioned upthread as being an excellent bike so I think I will put that on my list of bikes to try.

Also the Trek Crossrip.

I will look at the Lexa as suggested above.

My goal is to get the LIGHTEST bike that FITS and is within a reasonable price range.
I want the option of putting slightly thicker/nubby tires for when I'm feeling rugged... but 99.9% of the time I see myself on reasonably paved roads/paths.
I am a proud Salsa Casseroll owner but, I think the Warbird and Colossal are closer to $2,000 so maybe out of your price range. The issue with the Lexa will be tire clearance. Because of the design of the brakes, there is limited clearance for wider tires. not a big deal as 25 mm tires should be fine and maybe you can fit 28 mm tires, but check before you buy. My wife rides a Jamis road bike with 28mm tires, and that is a very versatile setup. We haven't done it, but she may even use her Jamis for some light touring with some panniers and a handlebar bag.

The Cross Rip is more expensive and heavier than the Lexa, but maybe has more capabilities for touring, gravel and off-road. Worth a test ride, though.
Old 06-05-16, 07:21 PM
elizwlsn

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp 2006, Diamondback Ascent Ex 1989

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol guys... really my butt is FINE

I'm a workout girl... I do squats and lunges. My leg and butt are pretty strong. I'm definitely not having issues in this area.
I had problems with my hands when I first started riding again. After about 5 - 8 miles my hands would go numb. I have the extensions on the ends and that along with good gloves and changing positions frequently helped me and for whatever reason it finally stopped unless I'm doing 25 + miles now and then I have to go back to frequent position changes using the end bars. I have a hybrid with 32c tires and I love it. I pretty much only do road rides but like the upright position better and the knowledge if I end up on a gravel road, like today, I'm good to go. Most of my rides now are about 20 miles, maybe 30 and see no reason why that means I need drop bars.
Old 06-06-16, 05:24 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most members here have more than one bike, one for long out of town rides and one for running errands around town and social rides. And who knows where you live having a winter bike also is probably fun. Good luck to you, post pictures of your new bike we would love to see it.
Old 06-06-16, 05:58 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol guys... really my butt is FINE

I'm a workout girl... I do squats and lunges. My leg and butt are pretty strong. I'm definitely not having issues in this area.
Well said and too funny.
You have to remember though that the majority of 'hardcore' posters here agonize daily over saddle choice and position. There are countless threads on perineum and sit bones and saddle manufacturers and all are measured in a couple of milimeters.
All before the padded and bibbed spandex butt protection gear comes out even for the 10 mile commute.
And we can't forget to mention the various cremes and gels.
Old 06-06-16, 06:33 AM
gilpi

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Nothing that has not been already mentioned. If your option is to keep the bike you have now, tire change would make a huge difference, slick and narrow would give you more speed and less fatigue on the road even though it sounds like you would do great with a road bike. Craigslist could score you a decent road bike for not a lot of money.
Back to the first option, have you thought about buying a different set of wheels and installing road tires on them?
Good luck!

Last edited by gilpi; 06-06-16 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 06:42 AM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
Nothing that has not been already mentioned. If your option is to keep the bike you have now, tire change would make a huge difference, slick and narrow would give you more speed and less fatigue on the road even though it sounds like you would do great with a road bike. Craigslist could score you a decent road bike for not a lot of money.
Back to the first option, have you thought about buying a different set of wheels and installing road tires on them?
Good luck!
Hi Gilpi... I just changed my original post so it would have my update, but basically the store is letting me return the bike for full price (minus $50) towards another bike of my choosing. They have Trek, Felt, Origin 8 and possibly Salsa Warbird 3... basically the 900-1300 range at Wheel and Sprocket.
Old 06-06-16, 07:16 AM
MRT2

Hi Gilpi... I just changed my original post so it would have my update, but basically the store is letting me return the bike for full price (minus $50) towards another bike of my choosing. They have Trek, Felt, Origin 8 and possibly Salsa Warbird 3... basically the 900-1300 range at Wheel and Sprocket.
Warbird 3 lists on Salsa's 2015 Website for $1,700. Not listed at all on the current website. Is W & S offering it on sale?
Old 06-06-16, 07:18 AM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warbird 3 lists on Salsa's 2015 Website for $1,700. Not listed at all on the current website. Is W & S offering it on sale?
Yes but only one certain size and not in an easy to reach location... I think I have to give that one up, didn't realize until I looked in depth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.