Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 12-14-17, 06:46 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Progress. Walked a fair bit today without crutches (it wasn't pretty but I'll take it). Saw the doc who cleared me to ditch the protective boot and start being more aggressive with my rehab. I like a surgeon who can talk about ski boot liners.

Started looking at the 2018 racing schedule. Worlds in October has a big circle around it, but also considering some longer early season stuff. Gotta shave some of this fat off and pound myself back into shape. Thinking also about visiting my buddy in Tuscon depending on how the weather plays out.
Old 12-14-17, 09:57 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Progress. Walked a fair bit today without crutches (it wasn't pretty but I'll take it). Saw the doc who cleared me to ditch the protective boot and start being more aggressive with my rehab. I like a surgeon who can talk about ski boot liners.

Started looking at the 2018 racing schedule. Worlds in October has a big circle around it, but also considering some longer early season stuff. Gotta shave some of this fat off and pound myself back into shape. Thinking also about visiting my buddy in Tuscon depending on how the weather plays out.
Plans plans plans.

Old 12-19-17, 08:37 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My weekly Z3/4 group ride is tonight. Its going to be a balmy 40 degrees, with light winds, and dark at the 6:00 PM start. This week's route is deemed "Le Tour Des Lumires". Should be fun watching the blur of colored lights as we fly past.
Old 12-20-17, 10:41 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Plans indeed!

Along with shaving the fat off (that's me!)

Oh boy, FTP test today - and it's cold and windy! Suck it up, Cupcake....
Old 12-21-17, 01:15 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Got it done.

When I posted the ride to Strava, lo and behold, the "segment" I rode for the FTP Test (TSTLP) was a Strava Segment. That I'd ridden 47 times. Yes. It said I was 49 out of all the women who have ridden said segment through out eternity. It said I was slower than my PB, which I apparently set in 2013. Really? In 2013? Before I knew anything about pacing? Well, numbers don't lie. No matter, I was riding a pace today. It was cold and it was windy, and the road surface is pretty terrible. But, it's a constant grade, for the most part, and I know it well. I also did at least two other FTP Tests on it. So, I settled into a pace and ground it out. I'm guessing 153 watts. I hear laughter, shut up!

Old 12-21-17, 09:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
If I posted my FTP number, I would get condolence comments and lilies.

I made a conscience decision last year to give up my endurance for explosive strength and sprint power. If one makes a deal with the devil, one has to also dance with him.
Old 12-21-17, 11:05 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hermes

I made a conscience decision last year to give up my endurance for explosive strength and sprint power. If one makes a deal with the devil, one has to also dance with him.

I made the same deal. I was such an endurance beast to begin with, it was a crushing blow to my self esteem....
Old 12-21-17, 12:28 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Been gone for a while but have been stalking some of you on Strava and through email.

Short story bit...
Way too much work. Training has been hit or miss.
Been in a soft neck collar since Sept. The newest doc is trying to fix the headaches I've had since the April 2016 accident. Seems to be working and may get a hall pass to remove it next week; just in time to ride when it's in the 30's

Originally Posted by Racer Ex

I need a belt sander not a shaver...
I'd love to be in Tucson in Feb and March although thinking of Arizona does make me sad. Only met Jim once but we seemed to connect.

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
My weekly Z3/4 group ride is tonight. Its going to be a balmy 40 degrees, with light winds, and dark at the 6:00 PM start. This week's route is deemed "Le Tour Des Lumires". Should be fun watching the blur of colored lights as we fly past.
Not punching holes in the water yet? Should be getting stiff up there soon.

Originally Posted by sarals
Got it done.

When I posted the ride to Strava, lo and behold, the "segment" I rode for the FTP Test (TSTLP) was a Strava Segment. That I'd ridden 47 times. Yes. It said I was 49 out of all the women who have ridden said segment through out eternity. It said I was slower than my PB, which I apparently set in 2013. Really? In 2013? Before I knew anything about pacing? Well, numbers don't lie. No matter, I was riding a pace today. It was cold and it was windy, and the road surface is pretty terrible. But, it's a constant grade, for the most part, and I know it well. I also did at least two other FTP Tests on it. So, I settled into a pace and ground it out. I'm guessing 153 watts. I hear laughter, shut up!

I see the dip bit in the middle but why are you posting my numbers?
Speaking of pacing. My pacing skills are missing. I've taken out ads with a reward to the person that can find it. I know a guy in Reno has the answer and will be working with him.

Originally Posted by Hermes

Wait, what? We are supposed to be able to keep one or more? Someone needs to inform my Garmin of that fact!
Looks like I got an invite to the dance and was stood up.

Happy Holidays to all...
Old 12-21-17, 01:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Glad to see you back!

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-21-17, 01:35 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Originally Posted by revchuck
Glad to see you back!
Glad you are back as well. Nasty spill you had (stalked you as well)

Might be back a bit more often after that last conversation with my boss.
Don't want my answer don't ask the question kinda deal... Oh well.

Last edited by IBOHUNT; 12-21-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-21-17, 03:42 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Two beautiful winter-warm days to roll about at a sub-town-bike pace.
Just letting the legs know that they will be required for actual work in the near future.

The Merckx needs to go down for maintenance and a revision of position, I need an Expresso and a Biscotti.
First thing first....

-Bandera
Old 12-21-17, 04:48 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Well, I'm glad to hear of health progress, IBO!

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-17, 11:39 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Yesterday, openers for today's training session. In spite of the intervening Christmas Party with Margaritas I indulged in last night (you can sure tell it's the off season) I did okay with the speed endurance test efforts today. Nothing else to report!

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-17, 05:19 PM
IBOHUNT

Off the Reservation today. First ride outside in 4 months. 3 1/2 hours; 50 miles with 3650'; flat ride.
Bike helmets are heavy if you have not had one on + having been in a soft neck collar.

Church intervals tonight, good for the quads... sit down, up to sing; repeat many times :-)

Last edited by IBOHUNT; 12-26-17 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 07:23 AM
IBOHUNT

Some of those criss-cross intervals were on the schedule last night. Made the first one and into the second one is where the hip flexor muscles just start hollering at me. I need to do something to fix this. Not making a workout leaves me as frustrated as an Amish electrician.
Old 12-27-17, 02:17 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Well, Nats in T-Town are back in play for me. Coach is going to adjust things accordingly. I'm excited.

Yesterday was 1 minute over/under intervals X 5. I did them at Hellyer on the track bike in 84 inch gearing. That worked REALLY well. I had the bike set up in pursuit trim (Coach had specified "TT bike"), and since Worlds I had made some geometry changes I'd identified. The adjustable stem is all the way down, the sticks are moved back to UCI limits, and I have an Adamo TT saddle in place of the Adamo Prologue that I was using. It felt better, and by appearances, looking at my shadow, my back was flatter.

Today, strength training was on the docket, but BJ couldn't ride tomorrow, which was originally scheduled, so we rode today and I'll go to the gym tomorrow. Today was OOS cadence work, which were essentially sprints. Good stuff! Back is fine, legs are okay, and I'm fat. Working on that part!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-17, 07:59 AM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by sarals
Well, Nats in T-Town are back in play for me. Coach is going to adjust things accordingly. I'm excited.
Woo Hoo! only a 2 and half hour road trip for me to come watch and watch I will.
Old 12-28-17, 10:36 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Woo Hoo! only a 2 and half hour road trip for me to come watch and watch I will.
Freakin' awesome, IBO!!!
Old 01-02-18, 08:00 AM
IBOHUNT

Some more of those cross over intervals yesterday. Got them complete but it was ugly. I've been failing to meet my numbers and that frustrates me. May have found a part of the reason. Seems I left my reading glasses someplace and didn't look at the right values to be used on the trainer. What's 7% amongst friends eh? That same interval set is on the table for Friday. I'll hope to make the correct numbers with much prettier pacing.
Old 01-02-18, 08:42 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome back IBOHUNT! It's kinda like getting the old band back together again, only for weekends.
Old 01-02-18, 08:50 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On NYE I did 20 x 17" L7 intervals on 2 minutes with bike on the trainer to ring out the year. My soon to be 65 yr old body doesn't think it was fun two days later. Roller therapy today since we haven't had an outside high temp of over 20 degrees for about 10 days now, with none in sight for another 10 days. Ice fishing starts this week for me!!!

After a few months of concentrated strength work I really wanted to get out on the street and do a couple blast offs from a standing start to measure any improvements in 5" and 10" power.
Old 01-02-18, 10:34 AM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
On NYE I did 20 x 17" L7 intervals on 2 minutes with bike on the trainer to ring out the year. My soon to be 65 yr old body doesn't think it was fun two days later. Roller therapy today since we haven't had an outside high temp of over 20 degrees for about 10 days now, with none in sight for another 10 days. Ice fishing starts this week for me!!!

After a few months of concentrated strength work I really wanted to get out on the street and do a couple blast offs from a standing start to measure any improvements in 5" and 10" power.
Wobble eys and yeller perch from a hole in the lake
Old 01-02-18, 11:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
Happy New Year.

First workout of the new year was at San Diego Velodrome - warmup, two jumps.

On New Years Eve, I did my team's "coffee" ride. The ride was an out an back 40 mile ride along the coast.

We arrive at Oceanside Harbor and the "coffee" shop only has one barista so preparing custom coffees for 25 people took a long time. Finally everyone had their coffee and now it was time to hang out and etc.

My wife and I were hosting a New Years Eve party so I wanted to get back and do some final prep for the party. I saw another racer acting antsy and putting his helmet on. I asked him if he wanted to ride back. Absolutely, he did not hanging out too long either.

It turned out that he has raced with Ex and big M when they were on the team in past years. He was the last man in the lead out train to deliver big M for the win. At least, that was the plan.

It was a solid ride on the way back since we rode side by side (no wisecracks about the Nicki Minaj song lyrics or meaning of Urban dictionary's meaning of side by side).
Old 01-02-18, 06:04 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Happy New Year, @Hermes!

Today, headed out the door for Hellyer, it was going to be the first workout for 2018. And, the Start of the Season. I got a frantic text from BJ telling me that the supervisor for the day couldn't make it, so we devised Plan B. We decided to go to a closed stretch of road on Marina Airport and treat it like a velodrome (only different). When we got to the bikes, BJ had a mechanical (flat front tire, broken presta valve, no fix available), so she packed it in for the bike shop and I did my workout. I did a ten lap warmup (each lap was just over 900 meters), then I did four flying 200's. Flat flying 200's. The cadence was lagging and the power wasn't great. However, it's a new start!
Old 01-03-18, 08:36 AM
IBOHUNT

some more of those criss cross intervals, albeit the short (1 min) ones. I just need to be able to stretch those to 20'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.