Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Whats Going on With The Design Of Tha BF Website?

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 10:42 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts

Hello,
Has the design of the site changed or am I doing something wrong on longin...to my eye it is more difficult to navigate and the topics are spread so that I can only view a smaller number at a time.
I am not opposed to change but like it to make a positive difference...in my opinion, this was not a step in the right direction.
Best, Ben
Old 08-22-18, 11:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Is this on a computer or on a phone?

I haven't noted any recent changes in the pages I browse.

Have you tried "Control +", and "Control -" to increase and decrease your window magnification?
Old 08-23-18, 03:48 AM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something similar happen to me a few weeks ago and there has been other posts about this. I don't recall how I reverted it back,maybe click on User Cp at the top.there is an option to change how the format is displayed.
Old 08-23-18, 04:27 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
scroll all the way to the bottom of a page and in the lower left corner you will find a drop down menu box labled BikeForums. Clicking on the arrow reveals a number of choices in how the forum can look.

Thread moved from C&V forum to User Assistance forum.
Old 08-23-18, 06:15 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Ok, Bill, thanks for pointing that out.

One thing I miss is a feature at the bottom of a page where I can choose to go to another Subforum without scrolling back up -- sometimes I see I have to scroll up through literally hundreds of posts in a thread. I just changed to Default as you indicated, and that feature is not apparent.
Old 08-23-18, 07:52 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by cb400bill
scroll all the way to the bottom of a page and in the lower left corner you will find a drop down menu box labled BikeForums. Clicking on the arrow reveals a number of choices in how the forum can look.

Hi Bill,I do not see a BF logo or drop down box..maybe I am looking in the wrong place, will you provide a screenshot or try to walk me through it again?
Ben
Old 08-23-18, 08:35 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by cb400bill

Found it

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-23-18, 11:36 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Found it
Everything working out now?
Old 08-23-18, 05:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Let me guess, another release rolled out late last night or this morning.

Pro tips:

- Stop using so much cross-site scripting.
- Stop using so many add-ons.
- Simplify your code base.
- Test your code before rolling it out. If you don't know how or to what extent, ASK. (your team, not us)
- Stop rolling out updates and having us test and report for you. That's awful software development. Seriously.

The code is getting worse, not better. Please revert to the older design from before April 2018. Seriously. The site is getting worse. How updates are rolled out is getting worse.

Last edited by carleton; 08-23-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 01:28 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This platform is used across the entire line of forums sites used by our owner. They own vBulletin Solutions as well. If you know of unsafe linkage on the site you can block it yourself and also notify the staff/IB techs. Purchase of a membership removes many of those things, of course.

You can't just roll it back, every single Internet Brands site with forums uses this same platform and all must be uniform. It's a myth that rolling back will solve the problem, you are dedicated to it, the database is dedicated to it and it's simply not that simple. If you fix one, you fix all of them.

IB implemented this corporate version that is separate from any legacy vB 3 (there are still a couple in 3.8.x in the wild that I know of), 4 or 5 versions in order to make it easier to operate their sites.

PS BF has had problems with ad servers etc causing problems long before lately, especially when we used version 4.2.x and I find this better.

Last edited by Rollfast; 08-26-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 02:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Rollfast
This platform is used across the entire line of forums sites used by our owner. They own vBulletin Solutions as well. If you know of unsafe linkage on the site you can block it yourself and also notify the staff/IB techs. Purchase of a membership removes many of those things, of course.

You can't just roll it back, every single Internet Brands site with forums uses this same platform and all must be uniform. It's a myth that rolling back will solve the problem, you are dedicated to it, the database is dedicated to it and it's simply not that simple. If you fix one, you fix all of them.

IB implemented this corporate version that is separate from any legacy vB 3 (there are still a couple in 3.8.x in the wild that I know of), 4 or 5 versions in order to make it easier to operate their sites.

PS BF has had problems with ad servers etc causing problems long before lately, especially when we used version 4.2.x and I find this better.
It’s not a mythical rollback. A couple of years ago there was an unsuccessful major update that was rolled back after a few weeks.

The problem is: The longer you stay in this version, the mor difficult it will be to revert.

The data layer *should* be separate from the presentation layer (if implemented correctly), thus making such changes feasible.
Old 08-26-18, 10:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

In Utopia that's true. BF is in California.
Old 08-27-18, 01:37 AM
carleton
Elitist

In Utopia that's true. BF is in California.
Old 09-02-18, 06:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Because everyone thinks their cellphone is the best, and that's why we can't have nice things.
Old 09-02-18, 07:09 PM
carleton
Elitist

Because everyone thinks their cellphone is the best, and that's why we can't have nice things.
True. But implementation of HTML interpretation is based on a standard, and has been so since 1994: https://www.w3.org/standards/
Old 09-03-18, 11:01 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

In 1994 IE 4 and 5 were the newest versions out there, and did you ever try using IE 3?

There are sites that still want you to use Flash and what's worse I have an uploader program for my diabetes meter that wants me to install Java Runtime Environment...where do these internet cave dwellers come from?

The alternative was to send them to a third party then my doctor and they are only two-three miles away.

Fat chance W3C is real world anything other than a Miss Manners book.
Old 09-04-18, 01:56 PM
carleton
Elitist

In 1994 IE 4 and 5 were the newest versions out there, and did you ever try using IE 3?

There are sites that still want you to use Flash and what's worse I have an uploader program for my diabetes meter that wants me to install Java Runtime Environment...where do these internet cave dwellers come from?

The alternative was to send them to a third party then my doctor and they are only two-three miles away.

I.E. 3 was released in 1996. It came bundled with Windows 95 and NT...and I developed Lotus Notes/Domino web apps for it. IBM profiled my work that I did as a student in 1996-97 here: University Career Center Uses Domino to Market Graduates Over the Net

With Domino, the UACC is achieving its vision of infusing traditional matchmaking between job seekers and employers with technology.
This was a year before Monster.com was launched

I.E. 4 was launched in 1998. i.E. 5 in 1999
Old 09-04-18, 02:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

This is probably a function of bad IT leadership and/or offshore talent.

Standards are a good thing. If we mock them and encourange others to disregard them, then we wind up with crap like this:

Remember "Made for Internet Explorer 3 or Higher" notifications? and the website wouldn't render in other browsers.

Because Microsoft decided to add several more HTML tags that were off of spec in order to coax website developers to use them then the wesite's users.

Yeah...no. This is why I like standards.

Last edited by carleton; 09-04-18 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-08-18, 11:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I think that you've forgotten that the internet itself is still a huge mess and I know I'm not downloading FLASH to see stuff on Yahoo.

And IE 1-4 came out at a time there was barely a 32-bit Windows...I used Netscape until version 6 and then my ISP wanted me to choose NS or IE 5.5 and I didn't care for 6 vs. the 4.78 I was using and was told to abandon (the ISP wasn't that savvy then). IE 5.5 was what my Windows would take.

And if standards mattered I would still have to use an adblocker to prevent those stupid popups that talk saying my computer has informed them of the presence of adware/spyware viruses...then they lock the screen. You get crap like that in Firefox and from a Linux computer as well.

I'm 52 and I've used computers for 40 years now, 21 of them online. I am aware of things, like Tommy. I can't see how your arguments are aimed at anything but the owner. Shooting fish in a barrel. Everyone here has to deal with the fables and foibles.

And I think you may be close to my age, given that the avatar on your profile page is of course, Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Us oldies gotta hang.