Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are all indo trainers virtual power

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 03:35 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I was wondering , if you use the best indo or the most basic , if the power function is not based on the flex-o-meter or similar tradional on bike pro level kit power meters , are you just running virtual power ?

Im kinda frustrated with tacx , there basic trainers seem to be waste of time and money , at this point im seeing the most cost effective option for non tradtion power data , or virtual based data is a speed / cadence sensor and any trainer you want. At least for me i cant seem to get my tacx to give any sort or accurate reading , but i know the wahoo sensors work and can do the exact same thing as my basic smart trainer . right ? Or no ?
Old 11-07-18, 04:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
indo?
Old 11-07-18, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
indo?
Remember when they used to have do to do salesmen?
Old 11-07-18, 10:37 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
I was wondering , if you use the best indo or the most basic , if the power function is not based on the flex-o-meter or similar tradional on bike pro level kit power meters , are you just running virtual power ?

Im kinda frustrated with tacx , there basic trainers seem to be waste of time and money , at this point im seeing the most cost effective option for non tradtion power data , or virtual based data is a speed / cadence sensor and any trainer you want. At least for me i cant seem to get my tacx to give any sort or accurate reading , but i know the wahoo sensors work and can do the exact same thing as my basic smart trainer . right ? Or no ?
what problem are you trying to solve?
Old 11-07-18, 11:02 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I used to train on indo, but the munchies made it counterproductive.
Old 11-07-18, 12:49 PM
dwing

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Allowing the software/app (Tacx, Kinetic, Zwift, etc..) to calculate a virtual power based on trainer-resist/cadence/wheel-RPM isn't going to be as accurate as using an actual power meter that's known to provide accurate data. How accurate do you want to be? Search YT for shane miller's reviews on power meters and you'll get all the info you'll ever need regarding power meters and accuracy.
Old 11-07-18, 12:59 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts

Yes, someone out there has built a power curve for 'dumb' trainers - https://zwiftinsider.com/virtual-power/, https://machiine.com/2018/how-accura...ssic-trainers/

On the other hand, one of my friends who rides on TrainerRoad a lot and has a smart wheel-off trainer produces strange graphs. They show that given a constant cadence, he maintains the same speed even during intervals where his power output is halved. Not sure why that is.
Old 11-07-18, 01:57 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Remember when they used to have do to do salesmen?
har har

you wiped the flo with the op on that one.
Old 11-07-18, 02:51 PM
Mark VerMurlen

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, not all indoor trainers use computed virtual power. The Tacx Neo 2 Smart is one such example. You'll see on the Tacx website that it is listed as accurate to less than 1% error. I'm pretty sure that you can only get that level of accuracy with real strain gauges measuring torque.

You don't say what model of Tacx trainer you have. Knowing that would let us help you better. You also don't describe your problem in any detail or why you think your power readings are inaccurate. More info is needed to be able to help you.

Mark
Old 11-07-18, 03:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Can OP shop for a stick of gum without starting a thread?
Old 11-07-18, 07:43 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the basic smart trainer , im just wondering of a speed cadence sensor would be better , i was thinking wahoo.

the issues i have are hard to explain. So sometimes all the numbers seems acurate sometimes its up a few mph or off a few rpms , but its far from real time . the tacx apo i use is mo
Old 11-07-18, 07:54 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The tacx app i use is more accurate with the trainer i have ( tacx satori ) but the wahoo app saves better and can upload to strava once internet is connected and never looses my activity
I only have a mobile hotspot but even when connected the tacx app glitches and doesnt upload or takes a day or two or a phone restart.
Its really messing up my winter training . i dont want to have to spend another 500 to 1000 just for a trainer . so i figure investing in a wahoo sesnor kit at 40 to 100 usd is the best option . im not sure if it does v power or if the app could do v power . maybe there is a" best way" to get the most data saved and exported to strava so i can have a record of my efforts .
right now both apps seem to only export speed and distance .
i tried a virtual live session in the tacx app but i think its more for the neo or very smart trainers with sim modes but it did post to strava with a route and koms which is cool.
Old 11-07-18, 09:18 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I switched from a Travel Trac Fluid Comp (dumb trainer) to this one: https://www.kurtkinetic.com/products...rt-refurbished
I have no experience with smart trainers that adjust resistance automatically, so my comparison will be limited. There is night and day difference between a cheap fluid trainer and the road feel you get from Kurt Kinetic. Best part is the InRide sensor, which gives you power output rather accurately (see: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/...th-review.html) after a spindown calibration. It is hands down the cheapest way you can get power numbers that are consistent between rides and are within +-5% of power meters.
Old 11-08-18, 09:13 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Can OP shop for a stick of gum without starting a thread?
The real question is should I get the aero gum? It is super aerodynamic smart gum!
Old 11-08-18, 10:25 AM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Brofessor
I switched from a Travel Trac Fluid Comp (dumb trainer) to this one: https://www.kurtkinetic.com/products...rt-refurbished
I have no experience with smart trainers that adjust resistance automatically, so my comparison will be limited. There is night and day difference between a cheap fluid trainer and the road feel you get from Kurt Kinetic. Best part is the InRide sensor, which gives you power output rather accurately (see: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/...th-review.html) after a spindown calibration. It is hands down the cheapest way you can get power numbers that are consistent between rides and are within +-5% of power meters.
I have this as well. The number quoted is +/- 5%, but I suspect it is better than that overall. There's a new version now that is also ant+ compatible (which I don't have). The previous one was only Bluetooth.
Old 11-08-18, 10:28 AM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBoile
I have this as well. The number quoted is +/- 5%, but I suspect it is better than that overall. There's a new version now that is also ant+ compatible (which I don't have). The previous one was only Bluetooth.
Mine is the black sensor with Bluetooth Smart only and it just works. I use the companion app to connect my sensors anyways, don't really need ANT+.
Old 11-08-18, 10:48 AM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Brofessor
Mine is the black sensor with Bluetooth Smart only and it just works. I use the companion app to connect my sensors anyways, don't really need ANT+.
I'm bluetooth only too. That probably is all you really need, but ant+ can be nice in that you could connect directly to a bike computer (or your computer with an ant+ dongle) and not need to use the companion app.
Old 11-08-18, 10:54 AM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBoile
I'm bluetooth only too. That probably is all you really need, but ant+ can be nice in that you could connect directly to a bike computer (or your computer with an ant+ dongle) and not need to use the companion app.
I should have added that I only use it on zwift with the zwift companion app But yeah, if you want to connect the inRide sensor to head units without BLE (Hello Garmin!), then you need that ANT+ compatibility.
Old 11-08-18, 11:50 AM
Mark VerMurlen

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve chosen to use a single sided crack arm based power meter from 4iii for my bike. Its accurate to plus/minus 1%. Prices have come down to the point its worth it to me. I get the same exact power reading now for riding outdoors and well as indoors on a dumb trainer. Its worked well for me with my Garmin head unit which interfaces very well to Strava and other similar sites. Have never lost any data or seen any glitches. This avoids all the inaccuracies that occur with virtual power. You might want to consider a similar setup if you’re seriously into power training.

Mark
Old 11-09-18, 01:13 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess mine would be considered a " with sensors " built into the unit .

It gives me numbers, im not super onto power training its just nice to know what im doing . i can see my growth and progress and it makes me happy which gives me the mental boost to keep doing good and just snow ball the energy into progress .

The numbers are innaurate mostly due to tire pressure . i definatey need some on bike sensors . there are so many options .

I like the tacx app set up but the uploads are killing me its so glitched for me i cant tell when it will upload .

I was looking at the iq2 power meters but i dunno if they are any good . ?

But i do think it would be more cost effective to train heart rate first from a pure numbers point .?
Old 11-09-18, 07:44 AM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
B
I guess mine would be considered a " with sensors " built into the unit .

It gives me numbers, im not super onto power training its just nice to know what im doing . i can see my growth and progress and it makes me happy which gives me the mental boost to keep doing good and just snow ball the energy into progress .

The numbers are innaurate mostly due to tire pressure . i definatey need some on bike sensors . there are so many options .

I like the tacx app set up but the uploads are killing me its so glitched for me i cant tell when it will upload .

I was looking at the iq2 power meters but i dunno if they are any good . ?

But i do think it would be more cost effective to train heart rate first from a pure numbers point .?
Unless you are going to train outdoors or race, on-the-bike power meters won’t serve you much. You can get pretty consistent power readings from an indoor trainer that’s well calibrated if your only training is indoors. Spending $500+ for a strain gauge power meter just to “see how you are doing” is IMHO a waste of money. I am not here to judge your decisions, but you are saying that you “need” a strain gauge power meter. What you are actually meaning is that you “want” one. Completely different things.

Last edited by Brofessor; 11-09-18 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 12:50 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Back when I cared about power, I bought a cheapo "dumb" trainer ($89~), and a used Powertap wheel & bits for about $150.
Benefit is I could also use the Powertap outside.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-17-18, 10:17 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Im cool without power no biggie .