Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Internal routing frame cable stop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 05:43 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I’m changing out an internally routed brake cable and ran into an issue. My bike is a 2014 Jamie Ventura race. On top tube it has two cable stops. One entering and one exiting. Below is NOT my bike but just showing a picture of what I mean to be clear.

So initially I had my new brake housing cut and cable routed. Seemed okay at first. But then all of a sudden it was completely taut. I noticed on the front cable stop entry the cable was further inside of the frame. Backing things out it looks like on the entrance cable stop there’s a cap/stop that prevents the brake cable from entering the frame. It’s not a standard brake cable end cap thing. The front cable stop entry is missing it. Not sure if I missed it taking out the old cable or what? Is there a name for this piece I’m missing?
Old 03-31-19, 03:33 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Those cable stops should be removable, perhaps the front one is broken
[Close up pics of the problem would help us help you]
Old 03-31-19, 05:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Are you talking about the cable housing end cap? Those should come with the housing kit and need to be put on the end of the housing before you insert it into the frame stop.
Old 03-31-19, 06:39 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by dsaul
Are you talking about the cable housing end cap? Those should come with the housing kit and need to be put on the end of the housing before you insert it into the frame stop.
its not the cable housing end cap. The cable stop hole on the front is big enough to easily allow the cable housing with end cap to slide in and out of the frame. The rear cable stop seems to have another piece that blocks the cable housing from entering into the frame
Old 03-31-19, 06:41 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by le mans
I suspect that’s the case. Maybe when I removed the brake housing initially the part came out with it and I didn’t notice. I’m actually going to take it to a Jamis bike dealer today and have them take a look.
Old 03-31-19, 11:39 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by le mans

took it into to the shop today. Mechanic did say sometimes they are removable and sometimes they are not. I’m going to let them sort it out. I think it just needs an end cap part that is large enough to wedge into the cable stop opening but not go into the frame. Or another option is to pop out the rear cable stop opening so I can just run the brake cable housing through the top tube along the full length.