Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cool footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 12:56 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts

Rider's-eye-view of just how tough this race is:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...ix-2019-420149
Old 04-16-19, 01:39 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I tried the link but it asked me to sign up for something, so ... here's another.

Evidently, cycle racing would be horrifically boring if it didn't have crashes.

Riders ride on the grass to avoid having to use the cobblestone pavement ... makes me wonder if they could go faster on a softer-riding bike, using the road.

Also wonder what this race would be like without the extensive support, such as entire spare bikes. A totally unsupported race could be interesting; I imagine the attrition would be pretty high.
Old 04-16-19, 02:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the official website shows they taped their fingers before starting, and untaped them in the Roubaix showers..
Old 04-16-19, 02:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
brutal
Old 04-16-19, 03:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Looks like a normal Saturday gravel ride to me.

Except we try not to crash as much.

-Tim-
Old 04-16-19, 03:22 PM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I like to think that each one of them are making a guttural "uhhhhhhhh" sound as they ride over the cobbles. That's what I would do.
Old 04-16-19, 08:07 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I tried to watch last night's highlight show on NBC Sports. There was some hockey game on, which ran long, talking heads droned on, then the Paris Roubaix started. It was on my DVR, but ran out 6.9 km from the finish. I had to find another shorter highlight on YouTube, to see the finish. Hockey? Really? For a sport to be a real sport, it has to have wheels on it, like uh ... Paris Roubaix. For live races, like TDF, NASCAR or F1, I set the DVR for + 1 hour to allow for yellow flags, rain delay, etc. For a highlight show, I expect 2 hours to be two hours, not 20 minutes of hockey, talking heads, then all but 6.9 km of the race. End of rant. 😡

Last edited by Slightspeed; 04-16-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:57 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I tried to watch last night's highlight show on NBC Sports. There was some hockey game on, which ran long, talking heads droned on, then the Paris Roubaix started. It was on my DVR, but ran out 6.9 km from the finish. I had to find another shorter highlight on YouTube, to see the finish. Hockey? Really? For a sport to be a real sport, it has to have wheels on it, like uh ... Paris Roubaix. For live races, like TDF, NASCAR or F1, I set the DVR for + 1 hour to allow for yellow flags, rain delay, etc. For a highlight show, I expect 2 hours to be two hours, not 20 minutes of hockey, talking heads, then all but 6.9 km of the race. End of rant. ��
I'm with ya on that! I wanted to watch a little of it before turning in, and had to wait until the damn hockey concluded. It finally came on, so I watched a bit, then set the DVR to get the rest. Went to finish watching it today and off it went 6.9 to go. I'll be a sunuva....

If something runs long, the TV geniuses at least need to fix it where the DVR records what it's supposed to. No, I don't know how they can do that, and I don't care. Just do it.
Old 04-17-19, 07:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For some of the "heavier" riders around 75kg.......they were showing power data in the range of 320w NP for 6 hours plus. Geeeeeez.
Old 04-17-19, 09:55 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
The footage of support crews with replacement bicycles is a big turn off to me. I believe this endurance race should be without this kind of help.
Old 04-17-19, 12:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The footage of support crews with replacement bicycles is a big turn off to me. I believe this endurance race should be without this kind of help.
How do you feel about feedzones?
Old 04-17-19, 12:09 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
Well, the race is about the endurance of the humans, not the bikes.
Old 04-17-19, 12:14 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I tried the link but it asked me to sign up for something, so ... here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfIjaCZ9NM

Evidently, cycle racing would be horrifically boring if it didn't have crashes.

Riders ride on the grass to avoid having to use the cobblestone pavement ... makes me wonder if they could go faster on a softer-riding bike, using the road.

Also wonder what this race would be like without the extensive support, such as entire spare bikes. A totally unsupported race could be interesting; I imagine the attrition would be pretty high.
In the early days that’s exactly how it was...high DNF rates.

I have a friend who lives in France and he has done the amateur Paris - Roubaix ride; he has also done Tourmalet and Ventoux. He says that hands down P-R is the toughest race. Those cobblestones are vicious.
Old 04-17-19, 03:16 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
For some of the "heavier" riders around 75kg.......they were showing power data in the range of 320w NP for 6 hours plus. Geeeeeez.
Yeah, no kidding!
Old 04-18-19, 05:42 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Agree

Originally Posted by caloso
Of course they are needed.

Originally Posted by Aubergine

The RACE is about MAN AND MACHINE

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
In the early days that’s exactly how it was...high DNF rates.

I have a friend who lives in France and he has done the amateur Paris - Roubaix ride; he has also done Tourmalet and Ventoux. He says that hands down P-R is the toughest race. Those cobblestones are vicious.
WAY COOL. The Cross Florida Ride has a short OLD FLORIDA ROAD SECTION that is like Paris-Roubaix. IT IS FUN.
Old 04-18-19, 06:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Yeah, no kidding!
For an idea of how unreal that is, I'm your local Cat 4/5 pack fodder and dabble in time trial and running.

I know that's their NP and not actual average, so it's inflated for the surges, but if you put a gun to my head I could probably only toss 320 for about 8 minutes before I pop. Maybe 20min by the end of the year.

Dudes doing that much for like 1/4 of an entire 24 hour day.

I get that they ride like 25 hours a week, but still.
Old 04-18-19, 10:47 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I tried to watch last night's highlight show on NBC Sports. There was some hockey game on, which ran long, talking heads droned on, then the Paris Roubaix started. It was on my DVR, but ran out 6.9 km from the finish. I had to find another shorter highlight on YouTube, to see the finish. Hockey? Really? For a sport to be a real sport, it has to have wheels on it, like uh ... Paris Roubaix. For live races, like TDF, NASCAR or F1, I set the DVR for + 1 hour to allow for yellow flags, rain delay, etc. For a highlight show, I expect 2 hours to be two hours, not 20 minutes of hockey, talking heads, then all but 6.9 km of the race. End of rant. 😡
First of all, it's NHL playoffs. ain't NOTHING like playoff hockey. So what's a guy to do to get both fixes? NBC sports gold. On sale right now for $20. You get the rest of their coverage until Le Tour, when it renews for like $50. Totally worth it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/cycli...packages_tiles
Old 04-18-19, 11:03 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
I like to think that each one of them are making a guttural "uhhhhhhhh" sound as they ride over the cobbles. That's what I would do.
+1

+2. Like car racing, it is one thing to replace "consumable" type items, it is another thing completely to swap out the entire vehicle for another. Bike breaks in an irreparable failure? Oh well, DNF for you. Build a better bike next time.

Originally Posted by superdex
First of all, it's NHL playoffs. ain't NOTHING like playoff hockey. So what's a guy to do to get both fixes? NBC sports gold. On sale right now for $20. You get the rest of their coverage until Le Tour, when it renews for like $50. Totally worth it.

Sarcasm?

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Well then why not give them all identical bikes and eliminate feedzones?
Old 04-18-19, 02:52 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
+1

+2. Like car racing, it is one thing to replace "consumable" type items, it is another thing completely to swap out the entire vehicle for another. Bike breaks in an irreparable failure? Oh well, DNF for you. Build a better bike next time.
sounds like the PBP threads are more your speed. Horses for courses. Cheers!
Old 04-19-19, 10:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you are not racing, why not carry everything you think you will need to keep you from walking home?
Old 04-20-19, 01:51 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I was lucky enough to ride the Paris Roubaix Challenge last Saturday. I rode an old Peugeot, so I put up a full post in the C&V section if anyone wants to read it.

The thing about riding the pave is that it is unlike anything else. I'd ridden a few strips of cobbles and unmade road locally as preparation but they were nothing like the pave. The cobbles on the pave are large and very uneven, and the surface of the pave is rutted with frequent potholes and dips; the drop from the crown to the ruts is frequently over a foot on a road that's not much more than 6 foot wide.

The advice is to ride as close to the crown as possible - potholes and projecting stones permitting - while turning the highest gear you can. With the resistance from the cobbles that takes a huge amount of energy, and after 2km of pave the legs are burning.

Watching the pro's on Sunday going over one of the same sections of pave I'd ridden the day before was awesome, and a real eye opener about the level they're on.
Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 04-20-19, 04:56 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Originally Posted by superdex

​Sarcasm?
I dunno if it's sarcasm but I purchased it last year just for all the cycling coverage and it's worth it for me as well. We don't watch TV or Hulu/Netflix/Prime etc. So technically it's affordable.

They had dual streams for the Tour, both Eurovision and NBCSN so I preferred Eurovision's commentary. They have a ton of UCI racing including mtb and cross. You can watch live or replay later.

I haven't used it as much as I should but will probably renew again. It's been worth it to me.
Old 04-20-19, 05:00 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Seems like a great spot to attack for a podium finish!
Old 04-21-19, 06:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
If such a race had bikes being non-replaceable, it would be interesting to see what the pros would really choose to ride that was more guaranteed to go the distance. I'd also make wheels non replaceable and with a flat, then the rider has to fix/replace his own.
Old 04-21-19, 08:34 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If such a race had bikes being non-replaceable, it would be interesting to see what the pros would really choose to ride that was more guaranteed to go the distance. I'd also make wheels non replaceable and with a flat, then the rider has to fix/replace his own.
Probably nothing dramatically different than what they’re riding now.
You think that everyone is counting on having a mechanical during the race? They’re setting up the bikes to be as fast as possible, but still go the distance.
They’re not going to ride 25lb steel frames and 36h wheels with airless tires to be ‘bomb proof;’ If carbon and 28’s made it to the finish without breaking, then it was enough, not that they got lucky.

Even with support cars, it’s a pretty significant penalty to have to stop and change wheels, and then go ‘full hero mode’ to pull yourself back up to the end of the line, especially if it’s late in the race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.