Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Attending the 2020 Giro

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Attending the 2020 Giro

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 12:09 AM
bdawgg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attending the 2020 Giro

I realize this is crazy early for this, but I'm looking to book a business class award flight out to Europe next May, and it's best to lock those things in early while there's award availability for my airline miles.

I'm not really a cycling fan apart from casually following the Tour de France, but I would like to go see a stage toward the end of the Giro as part of a trip through northern Italy culminating with a Euro 2020 match in Rome.

So a couple of questions:

1) I am seeing some varying reports on when the Giro is....is it correct that it ends on Sunday May 31st next year?

2) I'd like to attend the last crucial mountain stage. I see that for 2019 that was the 2nd to last day of the race. Is that typical? Can I count on there being a crucial mountain stage in the last 3 or 4 days?

I think my plan will be to fly out to somewhere cheap in eastern Europe (Montenegro?) and spend 5 or 6 days before heading over to Italy for the Giro. But it would be annoying to book a ticket to Eastern Europe for arrival on May 23rd (for example) and then find out when they lay out the race that I've got to be in Italy by the 25th if I want to see a mountain stage.
Old 06-22-19, 02:04 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Even the UCI Calendar is blank for 2020 at this point. 5/31 isn't a bad guess, but it just a guess right now. All I can see is that the gran depart is going to be from Budapest. Is Hungary cheap enough?

Look here 2019 Giro d'Italia Live Video, Preview, Startlist, Route, Results, Photos, TV. Find the Giro in the right side bar. There are links to '19, '18, '17 for ready access. You can hand jam 2016 and so on into the right place in the URL to keep rolling back. It will give you easy access to more tea leaves so you can try to read them. If you scroll to the very bottom of each of those pages, you can see when the route announcements typically come out. Until they do, the route details you're asking for are just guesses. The dates will be known much earlier, but not yet.

Yeah, it's a pretty safe bet there will be some mountains in the last couple of days.

Depending on the stage and the mountain, it can be a huge commitment to get in there. Like perhaps take the car up the day before and overnight on the mountain, or walk or ride a bike up a 6am that morning and stay ALL day. But it can be a big party. Have fun. And choose wisely.

I have yet to see a grand tour. From all I hear, the Giro is top of my list. It's not Le Tour. It's better.
Old 06-22-19, 04:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
haven't seen a gt yet either...was on tap to hit stage six of this year's vuelta but plans went from locked in to definitely probably maybe.

a mountain stage will demand a lot of you as a viewer. roads will be closed early so the physical demands of hiking/walking/cycling onto
the course need to be considered (along with the crowds) unless you are willing to camp out along the route at least a day (probably two) in advance.
your best bet to catch a giro stage will likely be in the countryside midway between the start/finish. starts/finishes and at the top of big climbs (or along iconic climbs)
are where most people congregate.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-22-19 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 04:25 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
What a difference a few days makes. Check out this story and take another look at the UCI calendar link in my prior post.

The squeeze is on but Giro stands fast on 9-31 May.

Perhaps the squeeze on the Tour will put more talent into the Giro? Though that requires a double peak from anyone with Olympic ambitions. Perhaps a freshly minted Olympic medalist will try lo keep their form through la Vuelta.
Old 06-27-19, 04:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
the vuelta gives more than it takes. for every rider tuning their form for the worlds, there are two or three riders recovering from injury
and/or being left off the tdf squadron. add to all this most of the big riders in contractual flux already having finalized
a new contract with many of the domestiques still out in the wind. guys ridng for contracts makes for compelling racing...
Old 06-27-19, 05:27 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Make sure you find some good local Pizza and Spaghetti
Old 07-03-19, 06:04 PM
bdawgg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
The squeeze is on but Giro stands fast on 9-31 May.

Perhaps the squeeze on the Tour will put more talent into the Giro? Though that requires a double peak from anyone with Olympic ambitions. Perhaps a freshly minted Olympic medalist will try lo keep their form through la Vuelta.
Thx for the info! I booked a flight into Dubrovnik on May 21, so should have time to enjoy Croatia/Montenegro before heading over to Italy for a late stage of the Giro. Will be interesting for sure to see who decides to enter the Giro with the Olympics factor.
Old 07-04-19, 11:42 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Get you a couple pairs of banana hammicks and a devil suit and you will fit right in with the locals.