Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Starch is the supplement in charge of giving us vitality,

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Starch is the supplement in charge of giving us vitality,

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 08:54 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Which starch should I put on my bicycle chain?
Old 07-09-19, 08:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Last point on evolution--success in adaptation is defined as surviving to reproduce, so it's really a very low bar in determining a good diet. Almost anything will allow you to do that. That's a far cry from answering the question "what diet will keep me healthy into my old age?" not to mention "what won't make me fat?"
Agreed, which is why I always laugh when people play the "what our ancestors ate" card. They lived for 30 years if they were lucky, ate what they could find, often going without. Surely they were often deficient in one nutrient or others, and suffered accordingly. We can do much better today.
Old 07-09-19, 10:14 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
That is an interesting study, thank you for posting it. Lots to read and ponder.
It's in the Lancet. Read skeptically.
Old 07-09-19, 10:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Which starch should I put on my bicycle chain?

Corn starch prevents chafing. Worth a try because it's in charge of giving bikes vitality.
Old 07-09-19, 10:33 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
My crabon fiper bike assploded when I put corn starch on my disc brake tubeless wheels with a triple crank and also added it to my chain wax because I crashed into a family of four on my MUP while attempting a strava segment and racing an e-bike with flat pedals and not wearing lycra because I'm not a wannabe and everyone who is faster than me is a wannabe.
Old 07-09-19, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ksryder
My crabon fiper bike assploded when I put corn starch on my disc brake tubeless wheels with a triple crank and also added it to my chain wax because I crashed into a family of four on my MUP while attempting a strava segment and racing an e-bike with flat pedals and not wearing lycra because I'm not a wannabe and everyone who is faster than me is a wannabe.
When I get into a mood like that, I take potassium, magnesium, Dr. Scholl's foot beverage and strontium-90. Flushes out the lactic toxins from my adenoids, but only on Thursdays.
Old 07-09-19, 10:55 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
When I get into a mood like that, I take potassium, magnesium, Dr. Scholl's foot beverage and strontium-90. Flushes out the lactic toxins from my adenoids, but only on Thursdays.
I can't do that it's not keto.
Old 07-09-19, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ksryder
I can't do that it's not keto.
I just sprinkle the stuff on a deep fried stick of butter and I figure it's ok.

I have to say I miss battered butter sticks, though. Can I substitute pork rinds?
Old 07-09-19, 01:19 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
1. ketosis is like antibiotic. Use it if you have an infection, avoid if you're normal. Certain medical conditions (eg, epilepsy) could be a result of malfunctioning carbohydrate pathways (could be due to genetic, or environmental). For these people maybe keto is better. However, asking the body and people to stay in ketosis is not easy. And nobody wants to have to buy ketone testing kits to test their urine to see if they're in fact in ketosis. Cavemen didn't have these kits.
2. eat a high fiber diet, eat an iso- or hypo- caloric diet. You lose the weight and gain health benefits. And no need to buy any testing kits
3. eat like bluezone people, and the asians. But admittedly, you'd have to go back a few decades to find the true food of what these bluezone regions. That's because today's bluezone folks don't eat the same diet that their ancestors ate 50 years ago. Today's "bluezones" are consuming too much processed carbs, and too much calories.
4. The Eskimos. I'm not an eskimo, I don't have eskimo adaptations (eg, larger than normal liver to cope with a high protein diet), and I don't live in eskimo condition (eg, have to work extremely hard to hunt my food). So why am I eating like an eskimo? Makes no sense to uphold the eskimo as a model diet. Furthermore, eskimos have a short lifespan and they have a high incidence of endemic infection due to eating raw meat (but ironically it's the endemic infection that helps to lower their cholestrol!).
5. Equating process carbs and sugar with all "carbs". This gets me. It's quite disingenuous that many lowcarbers purposely lump every thing into bad carbs. This is not true, they know it, but they still lump everything together to make their argument look good.

But I will admit, for some people, keto seems to work wonder. But at the end of the day, it still boils down to restricting calories. People who are eating keto and overconsuming will still get fat and sick. People who consume less calories (regardless of diet type) are better off. But if we were to talk about the opitimal diet for the modern-caveman, who lives in a heated house, work in an office, drives his car to hunt at some supermarket for food, then all data seems to point to this diet: eat high fiber and eat less.

And since this is a cycling forum, let's also talk about diet and cycling performance. No carbs, no performance at high intensity. Yep, I've tried the keto thing for a couple months. Sure I could ride for 4-5 hours at zone 2 without eating (and this was after a 12hr fast). But the second I went above zone 3 (eg, in a spirited climb), performance dipped really fast. So no carbs no performance.