Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vintage Road Bike Recommendation

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-15-19, 07:14 PM
poetman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have a late 50’s Raleigh Sports that I love, but depending on where I am headed, and how long the commute, I sometimes disdain the very slow movement and unhelpful gearing of the lovely machine, so I would like to get a vintage 10-speed for longer rides and a greater sense of agility while riding (if that makes sense). I definitely want an old 10-speed, but I am quite ignorant as to what I should look for! I know the basic names but know nothing about the components or other important parts.

I went to a LBS and tried a Centurion Master Ironman with “Tange 1” written on the tube. It performed lovely, and it met my needs. I also rode a Raleigh Technium 400 with “6061-T8” on the tube. I think I preferred the Centurion just a bit more because it was 22” and just felt a bit better, but I did like that the Raleigh shifters were near the quill stem instead of the down tube. The Raleigh had Shimano Light Action written on the derailleur.

Based on these preliminary observations, could you all kindly recommend some brand/models for a vintage road bike that I can look out for on my local Craigslist. The aforementioned Raleigh and Centurion were in the low $300, and I am hoping to find something closer to $100 used.

I really appreciate any insights you all can offer!

Thank you
Old 07-15-19, 07:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
You're probably going to want to post this in the C&V forum. Folks there know a lot about vintage bikes.
Old 07-15-19, 08:33 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Those Light Action derailers were a good thing - the pinch bolt was on a sprung arm which allowed shifts to be made in advance, before pedalling.
Old 07-16-19, 07:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by poetman
Based on these preliminary observations, could you all kindly recommend some brand/models for a vintage road bike that I can look out for on my local Craigslist. The aforementioned Raleigh and Centurion were in the low $300, and I am hoping to find something closer to $100 used.

I really appreciate any insights you all can offer!

Thank you
When it comes to 30+ year old bikes, your searches need to be brand and model neutral. For example, sitting there and searching for an '87 Miyata 912 will most likely be a fruitless search, given the age of the bike. Instead, just search thru ALL of your craigslist(and facebook marketplace) and look at options. If you do search for something specific, then search based on price or frame size. Just know that price is often a moving target and size is often mis-measured(which is why no search parameters is best).
There were excellent bikes made by Schwinn, Panasonic, Miyata, Fuji, Centurion, Nishiki, Novara, Lotus, Specialized, Univega, Trek, Motobecane, and many many more brands. By the mid-80s, these brands were all competitive with each other to where they all had a full product range of models at pricepoints to compete with bikes from the other brands. If you search for one specifically, you will miss out on many others that are of similar quality.

...or just buy the Centurion you tried, take it to a bike collective, and have the shifters moved to the stem. Thatll cost you 2 cables, some housing, and maybe $5 for stem shifters. If you donate the downtube shifters, you will probably just be able to swap them for stem shifters.
Old 07-16-19, 03:23 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
One thing I like doing is to search on the frame's tubing within craigslist, for instance, Reynolds or Columbus. You may miss seeing some results where sellers don't know the material or value of what they're selling, but that may also be a feature.
Old 07-17-19, 10:40 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Tange #1 was top notch stuff for it's day. Still pretty nice even for the modern day.
Old 07-17-19, 07:20 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
A mid to late 70's Raleigh Super Course. Great bikes. Reynolds 531 tubing, nice components. I bought one a few months ago for $140. One of the nicests bikes I have ever ridden. Gear shifters on the handlebar ends.
Old 07-18-19, 01:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've had an '89 Centurion Ironman for a couple of years now. Great values. Mine is still mostly original, Suntour GPX group with downtube shifters. An Ironman with Shimano group would be easier to maintain over the long haul, although there's not really a shortage of good used Suntour components... yet. Accushift is a little finicky but I've settled on a setup that works well.

The other, an early '90s carbon fiber Trek 5900, is lighter on climbs but a little stretched out for my aching neck (old injuries). I should consider a shorter stem but I hate to give up that original Ibis titanium stem. I switched it from downtube shifters to brifters. Better for short club rides, no need to take my hand off the bar to shift.

Of my two road bikes the Ironman is more comfortable over longer rides on rough roads. Between the slightly more flexy fork and bottom bracket, and 700x25 tires, it's pleasant to ride all day (after I did my part on the engine and physical therapy -- that took awhile).

There are so many good C&V bikes around, and many affordable road bikes from the 1980s-'90s, it's mostly a matter of patience and shopping until one finds you.
Old 07-18-19, 01:15 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Centurion FTW, those are sweet bikes. Vintage aluminum is a nah.