Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Alcohol on the roads

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Alcohol on the roads

Old 07-20-19, 08:59 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The law here is that driving with over 5% BAC is illegal. If your friends are below the limit I wouldn't worry about it. If they are drinking enough that they are clearly over the limit I wouldn't let them drive. Whatever you decide to do, communicate your intentions before the party not during.

As you can see in this thread everyone has different ideas on an acceptable level of drinking before driving/riding. Fortunately, young people these days are much better about not driving after drinking that we were in our day.
Old 07-20-19, 09:28 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Two nights ago a cyclist was killed/murdered, in Sandy Springs, GA., by a drunk driver, no license or insurance since his last dui....
Killed or murdered?
Originally Posted by gregf83
The law here is that driving with over 5% BAC is illegal. If your friends are below the limit I wouldn't worry about it. If they are drinking enough that they are clearly over the limit I wouldn't let them drive. Whatever you decide to do, communicate your intentions before the party not during.

As you can see in this thread everyone has different ideas on an acceptable level of drinking before driving/riding. Fortunately, young people these days are much better about not driving after drinking that we were in our day.
Not really an advancement since there was no strict DUI until the late '70s.

One more thing:

Old 07-20-19, 09:59 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not really an advancement since there was no strict DUI until the late '70s.
That's when I was a teenager and kids then were much worse than kids today. There's no stigma to having designated drivers or using a taxi unlike the late 70s. Maybe it's different where you are but kids around here are pretty good. I think it's just an overall culture change more that fear of DUI penalties.
Old 07-30-19, 05:09 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this topic.
I really appreciate all the effort to help me figure out what to do about this situation! The meeting has been postponed but I feel more confident to deal with it rationally and less emotionally in the future.
PS. The quote from Shimagnolo's post made my day. I quit drinking alcohol one year after I quit smoking; free from the confusion cigarettes caused, I was finally able to realize that I didn't like alcohol's effect on my consciousness and that i drank it only because that was what everyone else was doing.