Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I never thought I'd say this, but good job Delta

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I never thought I'd say this, but good job Delta

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 01:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
It has always been my argument that if you add up the weight of me, my bike and my gear that is probably less than the weight of many Americans alone. So why should I be forced to pay more?
Nobody accuses me of minimalist touring, my last trip had two checked bags (one had the bike in it), on the way home each were 22.9 kg. Plus a carryon and "personal" item that consisted of one front and one rear pannier, but the panniers were pretty light as I did not want to carry much in the airports, the front pannier was mostly lunch stuff. Air Canada charged me $30 and $50 USD for my two bags one way leaving USA, and $40.33, and $24.20 USD on the return according to my credit card company, the odd amounts are in USD but the original charge was in Canadian dollars.

Thus the round trip luggage charges were $144.53 USD. The ticket was $403.72 USD. So, the luggage charges added roughly 35 percent.

Checked bags total roughly 100 pounds, my weight plus my carry on luggage was probably about 200 pounds, so my checked bags added 50 percent in weight.

So, on a cost per pound basis, my luggage traveled cheaper than I did, but I got a couple holes in one of my checked bags so I was clearly treated better by the airline than my checked bags were, there were no holes in me at the end of the flight.

That said, on one flight segment the obese guy who overflowed over the arm rest that was buried under his bulk into my seat area got a really good bargain on a cost per pound basis compared to me. I am sure he weighed more than me and my checked bags.
Old 07-20-19, 10:50 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
So, on a cost per pound basis, my luggage traveled cheaper than I did, but I got a couple holes in one of my checked bags so I was clearly treated better by the airline than my checked bags were, there were no holes in me at the end of the flight.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That said, on one flight segment the obese guy who overflowed over the arm rest that was buried under his bulk into my seat area got a really good bargain on a cost per pound basis compared to me. I am sure he weighed more than me and my checked bags.
You should have to walk through a think similar to the luggage size tester they have. One this one, if you don't fit, lights flash an an alarm goes off. You then need to buy two seats.

And if you need a seat belt extender for sure you should have to buy two seats or be charged for the ticket of your seat partner.

And sometimes wide isn't fat. I was on a few flights with really big guys sitting next to me and I am a fairly big guy myself though I do fit in an airline seat.

On one flight I was in the middle seat between 2 WVU foot ball players. Those guys were huge. Didn't help much that we had very rough weather. So bad some people were screaming. Lights flashed on and off in the cabin. And I saw a flight attendant with drinks, on a tray. The drinks sort of froze in mid air for a minute then crashing down to the floor. Not exactly sure what she was doing serving drinks in that mess. Maybe to calm the passengers.

Last edited by spinnaker; 07-20-19 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 06:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
You should have to walk through a think similar to the luggage size tester they have. One this one, if you don't fit, lights flash an an alarm goes off. You then need to buy two seats.

And if you need a seat belt extender for sure you should have to buy two seats or be charged for the ticket of your seat partner.
My sister had a clerical support job several years ago, she once said that she hated arranging flights for one of their staff because he needed two seats because of his bulk, but often the planes were full enough that it was hard to find an available flight with two adjacent seats for him. I have noticed on some flights when I get on the plane and all the first class passengers are already seated that some of the first class passengers carry a lot of extra bulk, I suspected that they bought first class tickets (or their companies did) because of the larger seats.

A bit of Seam Grip and some black cordura nylon and I have glued patches over the holes in my luggage, luggage is now ready for the next trip. I always put two luggage tags on my bags, one bag arrived with most of one luggage tag torn off of it, see photo. I flew a lot or work in the 80s and 90s, I learned that redundancy is good.