Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bikeshares are collateral damage in the Uber vs. Lyft war...

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 06-08-19, 01:56 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

Right now in San Francisco. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...-in/ar-AACyxef

I guess you need to get your own bike instead. I have eight anyway.

Isn't it bad enough there already?

Do us all a favor in the Bay Area and support BART. Skip this bankrupt ridesharing notion. Take a real taxi, train or bus.
Old 06-08-19, 03:47 AM
pedex
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Right now in San Francisco. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...-in/ar-AACyxef

I guess you need to get your own bike instead. I have eight anyway.

Isn't it bad enough there already?

Do us all a favor in the Bay Area and support BART. Skip this bankrupt ridesharing notion. Take a real taxi, train or bus.
Race to the bottom.
Likes For pedex:
Old 06-08-19, 07:02 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
The dispute in the article on the surface has nothing to do with app-hailed for hire vehicles, rather it's a simple contract dispute over the question if the exclusivity in the docked bike share contract also applies to dockless offerings.

To argue that the so called "rideshare" app-hailed hire industry is to blame, is to argue that they're only in the bike share business to keep a lid on it. As a possibility that is a legitimate question, but is there actual evidence to indicate it is the case?

Consider for example, if the goal were to keep a lid on bike share to keep people hailing cars rather than to actually run it as a business, why would they be competing against each other in the bike share realm? Wouldn't one of the companies doing a bad job in an existing city be enough of an impediment?
Old 06-09-19, 07:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

But you'd prefer the Chinese predicament that was clealy shown a year or two back of huge piles of these things that they rounded up for scrapping because it was such a boondoggle?

Let me ask you, because I was there once, even if it was 1982...

Who's going to use these bikes? Tourists? When my high school group took a summer trip to the Oregon Coast and down to Marin County/O-Town 37 years ago I didn't see anything that made sense for it looking back at it.

Actually, it was fun just counting the BMWs and Corvettes as you traveled on the bridges. The Wharf is made for walking, going to the Steinhart Aquarium/California Academy of Sciences or most of anywhere required our school bus. We were involved in a minor traffic accident while we were there as it was and we had to camp in a state park outside of town on the Oakland side IIRC. Back then they had signage with seagulls on them that you could follow around much like a scenic or truck route, that was for the tourists too.

Some of the roads there are not exactly conducive to people just running around on bikeshares IMO.

And the other thing we all noticed was the emergence of this new disease with no name that was killing at least four people with funny sounding names/foreigners/whatever and we were just hicks from an Ag town of 3,000 who knew nothing except that our leader kept us to certain parts of town and not others. SHE knew.

The eighties were strange like that. Has anything really changed other than the makeup of the residents and the rent?

The rent was an issue in the second Herbie The Love Bug movie in 1974...remember that fire station Helen Hayes' character lived in?

Last edited by Rollfast; 06-09-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 02:19 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Lyft’s new ebikes can be docked or dockless. They are rolling out in the next few weeks.
Old 06-12-19, 12:39 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
I don't think this has much to do with Uber. Lyft signed a contract with San Francisco to be an exclusive bike share provider and now they and the city are arguing about the details of the contract. Lyft thinks the contract covers both docked and dockless bikes, and San Francisco thinks it only covers docked bikes and that the city can give contracts for dockless bikes to other providers.

It's good that San Francisco is regulating bike shares in the city, so the taxpayer isn't on the hook for cleaning up the aftermath of failed bikeshare companies abandoning their bikes, and the streets aren't awash in bikes from multiple providers lying all over the place creating nuisance and risk - they just have to sort out the correct interpretation of the Lyft contract.

EDIT: Okay, yes, Lyft might hypothetically want an exclusive contract so they can limit the availability of shared bikes to encourage people to hail cars instead, but again that would be a contract issue where the contract would spell out how many bikes should be available for hire.

Last edited by cooker; 06-12-19 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 01:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
.... too bad your computer science degree requires you have to live in those places, to find work..
Old 06-16-19, 06:58 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

But there were the Good Old Daze, when you just went there to seek free things, free love and the Free Clinic.
Old 07-19-19, 07:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts

Who's going to use these bikes? Tourists? When my high school group took a summer trip to the Oregon Coast and down to Marin County/O-Town 37 years ago I didn't see anything that made sense for it looking back at it.
...did you wear flowers in your hair ? It's not a valid experience without wearing flowers in your hair.

The eighties were strange like that. Has anything really changed other than the makeup of the residents and the rent?
,,,the 80's were strange in so many ways I can't count them all. Depends on what you mean by "change". I don't recall seeing one cell phone in the 80's, and now I need to carefully avoid all the people who are distracted by them. Also, the bakeries are substantially improved.
Old 07-19-19, 07:56 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
But you'd prefer the Chinese predicament that was clealy shown a year or two back of huge piles of these things that they rounded up for scrapping because it was such a boondoggle?

Actually, it was fun just counting the BMWs and Corvettes as you traveled on the bridges. The Wharf is made for walking, going to the Steinhart Aquarium/California Academy of Sciences or most of anywhere required our school bus. We were involved in a minor traffic accident while we were there as it was and we had to camp in a state park outside of town on the Oakland side IIRC. Back then they had signage with seagulls on them that you could follow around much like a scenic or truck route, that was for the tourists too.

Some of the roads there are not exactly conducive to people just running around on bikeshares IMO.

And the other thing we all noticed was the emergence of this new disease with no name that was killing at least four people with funny sounding names/foreigners/whatever and we were just hicks from an Ag town of 3,000 who knew nothing except that our leader kept us to certain parts of town and not others. SHE knew.

The rent was an issue in the second Herbie The Love Bug movie in 1974...remember that fire station Helen Hayes' character lived in?
SF has been investing a lot of $ in bike infrastructure. There's plenty room for improvement but now there's the wiggle, and some protected bike lanes. Users of the bikeshare tend to be folks on lunch, or riding last miles from Bart to work and back. Regrettably Bart does not go everywhere. I actually see more tourists on the e-scooters now; requires even less skill to operate.
Old 07-20-19, 09:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts

1,900 new Lyft e-bikes hit SF streets today

Old 07-21-19, 07:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...did you wear flowers in your hair ? It's not a valid experience without wearing flowers in your hair.

,,,the 80's were strange in so many ways I can't count them all. Depends on what you mean by "change". I don't recall seeing one cell phone in the 80's, and now I need to carefully avoid all the people who are distracted by them. Also, the bakeries are substantially improved.
No, but I chaperoned my prom date's sister and she used all my batteries listening to my Walkman...learned how to sleep in a state park campground with a foghorn going off too. Also learned how to wash my pilliow and saw my first 'dollar store', there were quad 8 tracks including the Carpenters. The Carl's Jr. and McDonalds across the street from each other at the Wharf had the best service I'd ever had from a fast food joint and I did not eat clam chowder!