Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick-release alternative hitch for the Burley Travoy trailer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 06:24 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello

The Burley Travoy is a fine folding trailer, but its hitch isn't very good for folding bikes because it takes too long to put on and remove, especially to go food shopping:

I was wondering if someone had an idea for a faster alternative.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Burley.Travoy.hitch.jpg (14.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-09-15, 07:33 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I can't really see how that works, but something like this would be quick. I assume the part that clamps to the seat post doesn't come off every time.

Lynch Pins - Wire Lock Pins - Quick Release Pins - Innovative Components
https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=l...9xE5PN8ifxM%3A

Old 10-09-15, 09:01 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It looks to me like you just swing the latch aside and lift the trailer off of the pin: "An innovative hitch attaches to your seatpost and releases with the flip of a switch."

Not sure how much faster one could reasonably expect, unless you are referring to removing the hitch completely. Perhaps I am missing something.
Old 10-10-15, 06:40 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
See that bolt running from roughly 10 o'clock to roughly 4 o'clock? Find an old seat post QR with the same thread and use that instead, cut to length. With a QR, you can spin it in quickly and then cinch down tightly without tools.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-12-15, 07:15 AM
Winfried

Originally Posted by IthaDan
See that bolt running from roughly 10 o'clock to roughly 4 o'clock? Find an old seat post QR with the same thread and use that instead, cut to length. With a QR, you can spin it in quickly and then cinch down tightly without tools.
Thanks but that won't work, as there are two bolts, one of either side:

Besides, a seat post QR would still require screwing/unscrewing every time I need to install/remove the hitch from the seat post.

I guess there are just too few folding bike riders who take a shopping cart with them, and thus, need to install/remove the hitch often.

We tried it: Burley Travoy | Hum of the city
Attached Images
Brompton.Travoy.hitch.jpg (86.4 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Winfried; 10-12-15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:30 AM
Zef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I assume that you can't leave it on the seatpost because it interferes with the you dropping the post all the way when folding up your bike?

why not attach the hitch to the seat tube of your folding bike and leave it in place?

If your frame design does not allow that then when you could pull the seatpost out and just loosen the screws and slide the intact hitch off the seatpost before dropping it back in the frame and folding up the bike. One tool and about 30 to 45 seconds does not seem like too much of a burden and is certainly less expensive than any possible alternative.

-j
Old 10-12-15, 07:44 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Thanks but that won't work, as there are two bolts, one of either side:

Besides, a seat post QR would still require screwing/unscrewing every time I need to install/remove the hitch from the seat post.

I guess there are just too few folding bike riders who take a shopping cart with them, and thus, need to install/remove the hitch often.

We tried it: Burley Travoy | Hum of the city
It would be helpful to tell us why you need to remove the part that clamps to the seat post each time you unhitch the trailer. Judging from the photos, the manufacturer intended that you unhitch the trailer using the connection with the vertical pin and the thumb-latch. The bolt holding the thumb-latch can be adjusted so that the latch swings away to the right more easily. That's why there is a cutout on the left side of the latch. You only need to adjust the bolt once, probably with an Allen wrench. Je ne comprens pas la probleme.

Last edited by habilis; 10-12-15 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:54 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I own a Brompton and the Travoy and I can't figure out what the problem is. Why not leave the hitch attached? The only thing that will happen is the seat won't lower down completely but it will lower enough to lock the fold.

As for Geenfieldja's suggestion about pulling out the seat post, that can't be done easily on the Brompton because of the flare at the bottom of the seatpost and the stopper on the frame. the only other way is to loosen the Pentaclip pull the saddle off and then hitch but that would be too much work.

Why do you need to remove and install the hitch often?
Old 10-12-15, 07:59 AM
Winfried

Because leaving the hitch means the Brompton won't fold as small.

As you said, the seatpost on the Brompton can't be removed from the top, à la Dahon… which is a good thing because it makes a bit harder to steal the saddle.

I need to install/remove the hitch often because I'm looking for an easy way to go grocery shopping once a week, but carry too much stuff to make it into the front (10kg max).

At this point, it looks like there's just no shopping cart whose hitch can be installed/removed quickly, unlike the Topeak Beamrack:
Old 10-12-15, 08:55 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Thanks for the response. You are right it won't fold as small but it only means a few centimeters in height at the saddle. You could look at it another way it will fold as small as a Brompton with a extended seat post.

I left my hitch on my Brompton and it didn't make a difference for me as I never needed to put it in a hard shell case.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 10-12-15, 09:04 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As you said, the seatpost on the Brompton can't be removed from the top, à la Dahon… which is a good thing because it makes a bit harder to steal the saddle.

I need to install/remove the hitch often because I'm looking for an easy way to go grocery shopping once a week, but carry too much stuff to make it into the front (10kg max).

At this point, it looks like there's just no shopping cart whose hitch can be installed/removed quickly, unlike the Topeak Beamrack:
How about two standard seat-post QR clamps for the two bolts on your clamp? If they need any modification, it should be easy to do.
Old 10-12-15, 09:12 AM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How about two standard seat-post QR clamps for the two bolts on your clamp? If they need any modification, it should be easy to do. The only drawback: you must completely remove one QR to remove the clamp from the seat post, but at least no tools are needed. The Topeak product is a more elegant solution.

Last edited by habilis; 10-12-15 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 09:21 AM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update: The two QR's would allow you to slide the clamp assembly all the way down on the seat post. No removal of either QR needed.
Old 10-12-15, 10:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
France has Machine shops to custom make things for you.

The extended seatpost hits the ground before it will all go inside the frame so some will remain .

If you had the Brompton telescoping seat post you can get a new seat post upper section machined
and have a Spring ball detent QR removable push button Pin through it.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 12:16 PM
Winfried

Thanks for the input.

As a work-around, I'll just get a power screwdriver to (un)screw the two bits in a jiffy. Not as good as Topeak's solution, but good enough.
Old 10-12-15, 12:30 PM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the input.

As a work-around, I'll just get a power screwdriver to (un)screw the two bits in a jiffy. Not as good as Topeak's solution, but good enough.
Gee, i was sure the 2QR solution would win me a free trip to Paris. You'd really rather carry a heavy tool around?
Old 10-12-15, 12:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Not all bikes are the same. The entire seatpost folds on my Bike Friday, so I don't think leaving the Burley hitch in place would be a problem.

Bike Friday also puts an airhose hitch on most, or all of their bikes. It works with their suitcase, I don't know about other trailers, but a hitch could be made for most of the trailers that attach to the chainstays.

Are you open to different trailers?

I find the Avenir type hitches are handy on my bikes, and they should work with the Bromptom style rear triangle. It might not work with the Dahon Curve type bikes.

Attached Images
BikeFriday_WithTrailer.jpg (104.2 KB, 66 views)
BikeFriday_NoTrailer.jpg (96.4 KB, 65 views)
Avenir.jpg (100.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-22-19, 01:35 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
DEERU Bike Seat Clamp Bicycle Clamp Quick Release Seatpost Quick Release, 2 pcs M8x50 Quick Releases in Package

Inelegant, but does not require tools, if you use M8 threads or drill out the mount and maybe even tap it.
may be easier to just carry an Allen/hex wrench
The Topeak looks better than it works. the clamp does not handle rotation / lateral stress well.
The clamps used to secure photographer's lights have a quick release and are possibly strong enough, but are ~$15 and require more fiddley work and parts to complete the job.
Time you could spend riding.
The bolts are not that long and if swapping between bikes is happening that often, you need to just buy an extra mount for Burley's ridiculous $30.
Maybe get some $20 straps and a couple of their $100 bags, and a $60 wall hanger, too .
If you are taking off the hitch mount as the OP asks (remember him?) everytime you disconnect , you need to rethink more than just this.
I wonder what he did , finally?

The mount is like the rest of the Travoy, part smart, part dumb and kludged together on the cheap.

EDIT: flips more than Trump on an issue. for me every 2 miles. poor CG to roll center. Worst trailer I have owned.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 08-12-19 at 02:20 PM.