Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Outdoor water fountains (the lack thereof)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Outdoor water fountains (the lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 11:18 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Wawa > Sheetz but the gap is closing.
Old 07-22-19, 11:24 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is a much beloved c-store chain in my area called Wawa. Not only can you get free ice and water from their beverage dispensing machine, they will even give you a free cup if you need one.
This is a very interesting possibility I'd not considered. Next question is do I want to leave my rather expensive road bike outside while I go in and fill up my water bottle? Maybe my Speedplay pedals would be enough of a deterrent since they look ridiculous and un-rideable.
Old 07-22-19, 12:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFever
The irony in complaining about kids being inactive but also upset at paying taxes to fund outdoor recreation for all.
I get it, the concept of being responsible for one's self or one's kids is so foreign to most these days.

So what's next, we get taxed to buy other people's kids playstations and X- boxes? I mean really, what's the difference?
Old 07-22-19, 12:33 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I ride by three community centers that have drinking fountains. But the water is not cold enough. I try to bring enough for my ride or I will stop and get some unsweetened tea at Starbucks. Good to know about Wawa, there are some in the area.
Old 07-22-19, 12:49 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
The irony in complaining about kids being inactive but also upset at paying taxes to fund outdoor recreation for all.
Also, the irony of complaining about irresponsibility while not being responsible enough to take enough water and/or plan ahead for water stops...
Old 07-22-19, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
This is a very interesting possibility I'd not considered. Next question is do I want to leave my rather expensive road bike outside while I go in and fill up my water bottle? Maybe my Speedplay pedals would be enough of a deterrent since they look ridiculous and un-rideable.
You could remove the front wheel if you are concerned.

I have left my fully loaded touring bike outside of stores and unlocked more times than I could ever remember. No one has ever stolen anything.
Old 07-22-19, 01:06 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Also, the irony of complaining about irresponsibility while not being responsible enough to take enough water
How many hours riding do you regularly carry water for? I'll do four when starting at dawn, otherwise I try to keep it to three hours.

and/or plan ahead for water stops...
And when you get to the planned refill spot which the trail association map shows as having a water fountain, and it isn't there, or is dry?
Old 07-22-19, 01:11 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I get it, the concept of being responsible for one's self or one's kids is so foreign to most these days.

So what's next, we get taxed to buy other people's kids playstations and X- boxes? I mean really, what's the difference?
No one is suggesting the public pay for expensive toys.

I see the issue as a matter of the value we each place on community and the greater good, and where we draw those boundaries. As one of a great many possible examples, I don't have kids, but I'm happy to pay taxes that support education. Although not quite as important to me as education, making public water available -- a genuine necessity -- seems useful and practical to me too. I'm happy to pay for it even if I might not benefit from it directly.
Likes For GuitarBob:
Old 07-22-19, 01:45 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
No one is suggesting the public pay for expensive toys.

I see the issue as a matter of the value we each place on community and the greater good, and where we draw those boundaries. As one of a great many possible examples, I don't have kids, but I'm happy to pay taxes that support education. Although not quite as important to me as education, making public water available -- a genuine necessity -- seems useful and practical to me too. I'm happy to pay for it even if I might not benefit from it directly.

LOL, what's so funny is everyone got spun up by my original comment. It's not that I'm against the tax so much as it is that once they started taxing SERVICES WENT AWAY vs improving. There's the irony for you.
Old 07-22-19, 02:05 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Rural Wisconsin parks are great - there is almost always a working water fountain (or bubbler, for natives) in small-town parks, and quite a few even have flush toilets!

The rural Lion's Clubs have also stepped up the drinking fountain game. One of my personal challenges has been to find all the Lion Fountains - I've got around a dozen or so.
Bubblers! Sorry, couldn't resist. My roots come out sometimes.

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Wussy millennials afraid of germs...
Yeah, pretty much this. For one thing, nobody knows how to drink out of them anymore. You see a person french-kissing the damn thing, yeah, that's pretty much it for today from that fountain.

Last edited by Chinghis; 07-22-19 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 02:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob

Wut
Old 07-22-19, 02:26 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could remove the front wheel if you are concerned.

I have left my fully loaded touring bike outside of stores and unlocked more times than I could ever remember. No one has ever stolen anything.
Not in West Philly.
Old 07-22-19, 02:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you are desperate, look for a church. Fill your bottles up from their outside faucets.
Old 07-22-19, 04:07 PM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Except your tax dollars paying for public use facilities. Not a backyard treehouse for one families kids.
Likes For CyclingFever:
Old 07-22-19, 04:17 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
On my Saturday ride I planned 3.5 - 4 hours up into the hills and back. I had 2 full bottles at the beginning and was hoping a public park up top would have the outdoor fountains running. I got there within 2 hours with empty bottles. It was brutally hot. I lucked out. I drank my fill and left with full bottles. Down the hill I went for another 13 miles and rode by my back-up water stop, a convenience store. Looked like the doors had been closed for quite some time. I guess I was really lucky.
Old 07-22-19, 04:29 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Rural Wisconsin parks are great - there is almost always a working water fountain (or bubbler, for natives) in small-town parks, and quite a few even have flush toilets!

The rural Lion's Clubs have also stepped up the drinking fountain game. One of my personal challenges has been to find all the Lion Fountains - I've got around a dozen or so.

As aside to the main topic, there is one in Burlington WI and I think in Manitowoc.

On the main topic, if there isn't a bubbler, then spend a little coin at a gas station/convenience center. Alternative is a fast food restaurant, if they have a self serve soft drink machine normally with free water - purchase an order of small fries or the like if you wish.
Old 07-22-19, 07:29 PM
jamesdak 

Except your tax dollars paying for public use facilities. Not a backyard treehouse for one families kids.

I still want to see a value for my tax dollars. Not decreased services like I've pointed out repeatedly in this thread. And I don't like being taxed for something that is not even run by elected officials but by appointees. Hmmm....guess I have to go back to the Boston Tea Party days to find someone who get's my point, LOL! .
Old 07-22-19, 07:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12738 Post(s)
Liked 7,651 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by road292
Has anyone else noticed that outdoor water fountains ...

Is this an actual trend? If so, what's the rationale for removing outdoor water fountains?
Man who washed genitals in Portland park water fountain arrested
Old 07-22-19, 08:25 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I was just reading that Venice now frowns upon you dancing naked in their water fountains and will hunt you down...no fun anywhere anymore.
Old 07-22-19, 08:27 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

This already happens. Where u been?
Old 07-23-19, 12:16 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Yeah, pretty much this. For one thing, nobody knows how to drink out of them anymore. You see a person french-kissing the damn thing, yeah, that's pretty much it for today from that fountain.
Day 3 of a backpacking trip in the North Cascades, and some hippie was bathing in the one pond we all had to filter out drinking water from.
Old 07-23-19, 11:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
For one thing, nobody knows how to drink out of them anymore. You see a person french-kissing the damn thing, yeah, that's pretty much it for today from that fountain.
Old 07-23-19, 11:24 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
There is a much beloved c-store chain in my area called Wawa. Not only can you get free ice and water from their beverage dispensing machine, they will even give you a free cup if you need one.
The C-store near my house doesn't charge me for Gatorade/Powerade refills, but the group I ride with on Saturdays always stops in there for beers after our ride. The manager is a cyclist as well

I rarely drink the sugary stuff, but sometimes it's nice for a change.
Old 07-23-19, 12:01 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
One nice thing about the ones with a bottle filler is that part at least is more immune to misuse.
Old 07-24-19, 02:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by road292
Has anyone else noticed that outdoor water fountains (as in the things you drink from, not the ones you throw a coin into) seem to be a dying breed these days? The 3 or 4 schools I ride by regularly seem to have none, nor does the local college (SUNY Purchase, just north of NYC). The schools my kids attended also have none now, even though these same schools had outdoor fountains maybe 10 years ago.

Is this an actual trend? If so, what's the rationale for removing outdoor water fountains? It sure makes it a PITA to refill water bottles.
You want to drink out of one of those things? Blech.

Buy your water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.