Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Anyone replaced the stock saddle?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 07-19-19, 07:23 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts

...on your beach cruiser for something that you found more comfortable? I can ride for about 6 miles and that's my rear end's limit due to the pain that I am experiencing. My legs could go on for a longer distance if I could overcome this. Thanks for any suggestions.
Clay
Old 07-19-19, 10:14 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
On my Raleigh Retroglide, I have replaced the stock seat which was hard, with what I thought would be a softer seat from the Electra Townie. My butt doesn't hurt as much but it's not making that much of a difference. Next step is a suspension seat post.
Old 07-20-19, 01:15 AM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
When I had my Electra a Brooks B-67 was most comfy!
A Flyer works great on my Sawyer.
Usually a soft saddle is not good for rides over 5 miles.

Likes For SHOFINE:
Old 07-20-19, 08:25 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
since about every bike i ride (cruiser anyway) is a stretch cruiser i put a seat with a backrest on it. either one i made/converted, or catch a deal on ebay and buy one (or a few if the deal is good enough. for future projects).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bicyc...oAAOSw7G1c~bEj

Last edited by Philphine; 07-20-19 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 09:48 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I like padded saddles, but they need to be firm. If a saddle is too soft you basically compress the saddle all the way like a down filled pillow would do. Feels good to the hand, doesn't feel good to the bum after a while.

Also, riding position has a lot to do with it. On my cruiser I did change the saddle to something more firm, but I also raised that saddle, changed the handlebar, and lowered the stem. It allows me to put some weight on my hands and it's easier to stand on the pedals when needed. Which all takes some weight off the saddle.

It doesn't look cruiser cool, or roadie proper, but it works better for pedaling 10 to 15 mph. Honestly, it feels akin to riding a BMX bike, just a lot heavier. I took it for another spin this morning, by the way.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-20-19, 12:49 PM
bfuser191509248

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman
...on your beach cruiser for something that you found more comfortable? I can ride for about 6 miles and that's my rear end's limit due to the pain that I am experiencing. My legs could go on for a longer distance if I could overcome this. Thanks for any suggestions.
Clay
Hi Clay, I'm wondering if you're referring to tailbone (or more specifically, coccyx) pain. I guess everybody may have different problems and different stories, but I can offer some experience with that.

First of all, I have owned a 1994 Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe for 25 years. It still has the stock seat on it, which is padded but fairly firm. My favorite route for many years has been on our local creek trail, and my round trip ranged from 15 to 20 miles. I did get off the bike here and there, but I don't recall ever having any pain in the rear relating to those 20 mile rides, and I was no spring chicken when I was riding that route (started when I was in my 40's, and was in my mid-50's the last time I rode that route circa 2012). On the other hand, I have had episodes of coccyx pain several times over the years, and I know how annoying it can be (sometimes lasts up to a week). For me, the (coccyx) problem is caused by sitting too long on soft surfaces. My issues related directly to long car rides without sufficient stops, or too much sitting on a couch or soft chair seats while watching tv and/or sitting at my computer. I use a hard chair at my computer now, and it's clear that this has helped me to avoid coccyx pain, even when I sit longer than I probably should. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Nice looking ride, FiftySix!
Likes For bfuser191509248:
Old 07-20-19, 01:39 PM
coopman

It's not my tailbone, but my hips, both sides (I think that I've seen them referred to as the sits-bones).
Old 07-20-19, 03:23 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
... a couple times. First was a Cloud-9 Cruiser saddle because the OEM broke a spring; the C-9 saddle was extremely comfortable. Second was replacing the stock Meridian saddle with one from an old bike; it was uncomfortable like you said just short of 10 miles, but school commutes were over 30 miles, so the wider softer cruiser saddle did the trick and saved money because it was a spare.
Old 07-21-19, 01:48 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I would check your bike fit if you haven’t done so already, just in case something isn’t quite right. On my Electra Townie I’ve replaced the stock saddle with a Brooks B67. Very comfy and I don’t need to wear padded shorts with it.

Small adjustments to saddle tilt and fore-and-aft may also make a difference to comfort.
Old 07-23-19, 06:46 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

It's not my tailbone, but my hips, both sides (I think that I've seen them referred to as the sits-bones).
Coopman, I forgot that your Electra has the cranks and pedals further forward than my Schwinn shown a few posts above. Due to that, I'm not sure my suggestion of a handlebar that gets you leaning farther forward is possible. You might be folding yourself in half to reach it.
Old 07-23-19, 07:08 AM
coopman

Plus, I replaced the stock cruiser type handlebars with some ape style handlebars that would enable me to ride even more vertically with little or no tendency to want to lean forward. I have a bad lower back so leaning forward is not good for it. Also, my left hand falls asleep if I put any pressure/weight on it (probably need carpal tunnel surgery to fix this).
Old 07-23-19, 11:40 AM
GTBruiser

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Reversed Saddle

I saw this and wondered if in some way how
this was more comfortable for the owner of this bicycle.
Likes For GTBruiser:
Old 07-23-19, 11:49 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Obviously two people were having a heart to heart discussion. she was in the basket, he sat on the saddle.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 07-23-19, 04:12 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by GTBruiser
I saw this and wondered if in some way how
this was more comfortable for the owner of this bicycle.
They are short and use it like a noseless saddle???
Old 07-23-19, 04:16 PM
coopman

HA!: For sale: Defective Bicycle.
Old 07-27-19, 03:39 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
B17 all day long. :-)

Likes For SquidPuppet:
Old 07-30-19, 11:30 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts

I want to get one of these for my next bike.
Likes For JehD:
Old 09-01-19, 02:40 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,004 Posts
I was going to start a new thread on saddles and found this one to add to .
After being asked on this forum , if I had tried the stock saddle on my Electra Fat Tire bike , I gave it a try yesterday. This morning I took the Fat Tire out for a morning spin before getting ready for church.
After a few more adjustments, the stock saddle , for the three mile trip , felt better than the Brooks I had on it .
This afternoon , I replaced the Brooks B17 Imperials on my Electra Cruiser 1’s with their factory saddles .
For the distances I ride my Cruisers , I think the stock Electra saddles are going to be fine , maybe even better , meaning more comfortable than the Brooks .
I’ll still keep the Imperials on my Roll and my Hardrock , because it seems to me , the Cruiser saddles are more comfortable in the short run , and the Imperials do better on the longer trips .
Riding on the Brooks , it always seemed to take around three miles before I started feeling comfortable and still would ride “light” when coasting downhill .
The Cruiser saddles are comfortable from the start , but start to make me squirm a little after about four or five miles .
I think the Cruiser saddles look better on the Cruisers too . And with Cruisers it’s all about looking cool as you cruise the neighborhood.
Old 09-01-19, 07:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by beach_cycle
First was a Cloud-9 Cruiser saddle because the OEM broke a spring; the C-9 saddle was extremely comfortable.
My wife just bought a new bike (Specialized Roll) and the stock saddle was too hard. After trying a few different ones, she liked the C9 best. When we got home I looked at her old bike (my daughter's 20 year old) and it had a C9 saddle on it.

I guess that an call that "butt memory".
Old 09-01-19, 09:17 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 241 Posts
The OEM seat on my Felt cruiser is surprisingly comfortable. But then again I don't often ride more than 20kms.....and at a slow pace. I think the 2 rear springs help too.
Old 09-02-19, 07:29 AM
coopman

I want to be comfortable and not in pain when I ride. I don't care about looking cool.
Old 09-02-19, 08:00 AM
OldCruiser

I want to be comfortable and not in pain when I ride. I don't care about looking cool.
I have tried so many bike seats it’s ridiculous.
I’ve decided everybody’s rear end is different and not one saddle is going to work on every bike one owns .
It’s trial and error to find that one that fits you on whatever bike you’re outfitting.
Even stock seats will surprise you sometimes.
I use to automatically change out the stock seat but just recently discovered the Electra Cruiser saddles with a little adjustment can be quite comfortable.
Old 09-02-19, 09:47 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by kirby999
I was going to start a new thread on saddles and found this one to add to .
After being asked on this forum , if I had tried the stock saddle on my Electra Fat Tire bike , I gave it a try yesterday. This morning I took the Fat Tire out for a morning spin before getting ready for church.
After a few more adjustments, the stock saddle , for the three mile trip , felt better than the Brooks I had on it .
This afternoon , I replaced the Brooks B17 Imperials on my Electra Cruiser 1’s with their factory saddles .
For the distances I ride my Cruisers , I think the stock Electra saddles are going to be fine , maybe even better , meaning more comfortable than the Brooks .
I’ll still keep the Imperials on my Roll and my Hardrock , because it seems to me , the Cruiser saddles are more comfortable in the short run , and the Imperials do better on the longer trips .
Riding on the Brooks , it always seemed to take around three miles before I started feeling comfortable and still would ride “light” when coasting downhill .
The Cruiser saddles are comfortable from the start , but start to make me squirm a little after about four or five miles .
I think the Cruiser saddles look better on the Cruisers too . And with Cruisers it’s all about looking cool as you cruise the neighborhood.

Some factory saddles are surprisingly good.

I almost always have to change the saddle for any bike I've ever bought. Yet, the 7 year old saddle that came with my Schwinn I got a month or two back was noticeably nice on the first ride, and follow up rides have proven it fits me well.

Sure it's a cruiser type saddle, which means it has some width to it. But the padding is firm enough not to sack out while riding and the smooth surface doesn't create friction with my legs while pedaling. I'm probably going to use this saddle until it gets big gaping holes in it.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-02-19, 08:30 PM
coopman

FiftySix,
I just bought a saddle very much like that one & have been using it for a few days now. It seems to feel a little bit better that the ones that I have tried before it, but it's not the huge improvement that I was hoping for. My seat was made by Mesinger.
Likes For coopman:
Old 09-05-19, 08:38 PM
OldCruiser

Well , the stock cruiser saddle experiment lasted less than a week . It seems the nose on the Cruiser saddles is too wide causing chafing .
So it’s back to mountain bike saddles for me .
Would like to find a MTB saddle with springs . I know Brooks makes one , but the Imperial version would be the only one I’d want and they’re expensive and take awhile to break in .
I’ve owned a B67 for several years with hundreds of miles on it and it’s still not broken in .
Would like to see a B67 Imperial.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.