Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Protein Powder

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Protein Powder

Old 11-17-09, 10:11 PM
go4gr8
Mountain goat

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLR01, (RIP) BMC Team Machine SLT01, CDale SuperV400, Cramerotti Genius Nivacrom, C'Dale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
OK, question from a rookie. I have been reading this for the last week and broke down and bout a cannister of Whey Protein. This morning I split a scoop of power between my water bottle and then post ride yogurt smoothie. Should I use the whole scoop post ride, what's the thought.
Protein should not be used while riding as it takes a lot of energy to process it. Protein is used for recovery. If you want energy, use an energy drink or a sports drink where you get hydration and some vital minerals. Your body burns carbs more readily during a ride than protein.
Old 11-18-09, 01:15 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Everything you ever wanted to know about fueling for bike riding is here:
https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...URANCE_LIBRARY[/QUOTE]

That web connect is a virtual Crash Course of what I'm looking for on weight management and nutrition. Many thanks.

Exercise right now is two work week morning rides of 75 minutes. Two weekend rides of 2-3 hours. A couple resistance workouts in the evenings. Nutrition is a must for improvement. Can't be sloppy any more.

Crap, do you realize how much math I am trying to get figured out here? What ever happened to pounds and ounces?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 11-18-09 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-19-09, 04:57 PM
hoverfly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like these 2 brands:

Syntrax
Jay Robb

I did quite a bit of comparisons between lots of protein powder products and found they were the cleanest and had the least sodium, sugar and cholesterol and the most protein per calorie.

The Syntrax flavors are pretty good--the fruit flavors mix up almost clear (like lemonade).

They might appear expensive at first, but based on the grams of actual protein, they are a very cheap source of whey protein.

Here's a comparison table: https://quest-for-muscle.blogspot.com.../label/Protein

I also don't eat meat, except fish--so I rely on these somewhat for protein. Sorry--I don't know if they make a flavorless. I have tried samples of various other brands of flavorless protein powders however and have not been at all impressed.
Old 11-29-09, 01:59 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by late
The so called 'growth factors' in that stuff worry me.

What is this? A protein shake or a steroid concoction?
Old 01-05-10, 08:21 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
The so called 'growth factors' in that stuff worry me.

What is this? A protein shake or a steroid concoction?
Milk has a number of things that encourage growth and healing. Microlactin is one, it's
just a very small protein that is natural to milk. The only difference is that extra is extracted
from other milk and added to the powder. IMHO, it works. It's not dramatic, but I do seem to heal
up a little faster.
Old 01-06-10, 07:56 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Like I said, buybulkwhey.com has a bunch of pure whey isolate. No flavors or artificial sweeteners. The flavored stuff has sweeteners.

Here's a link: https://www.buybulkwhey.com/?C=1340
Old 01-07-10, 09:57 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Like I said, buybulkwhey.com has a bunch of pure whey isolate. No flavors or artificial sweeteners. The flavored stuff has sweeteners.

Here's a link: https://www.buybulkwhey.com/?C=1340
If you just want untreated whey cheap....
https://proteinfactory.com/shop/produ...uctid=847#tabs
Old 07-21-19, 11:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Naked Whey, if you haven't already found it. But its a ghastly concoction with a putrid smell. There's a reason its not easy to find and rarely sold in that manner.
Originally Posted by hemprider
Why do you need extra protein? If you eat a sufficient diet you should get more then enough. Take this into consideration, mothers milk only contains 6% protein and babies protein needs are higher then adults. full grown adults typically need 2-5% protein
Unless you're a strength athlete or bodybuilder in which case you're burning calories and building muscle. The reason for supplements is so you won't have to be preparing meals, eating and chewing all day. There's no way you can prepare a protein meal and consume it as quickly as you can make a shake. Its also a lot easier to digest.
Old 07-22-19, 09:34 AM
bacardi

Bikes: Pluto R ebike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How many vegetarians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
I don't know, but where do you get your protein from?

My wife is a vegetarian. I am not. The debate about how much protein a person needs to be healthy is a heated one. She hears about it constantly at work etc.
She's healthy and happy, so am I.
Eat whatever works best for you.
I've tried many different types of protein powders and could never find one I liked. Maybe things have changed.

L8TR
Old 07-22-19, 11:13 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bacardi
How many vegetarians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
I don't know, but where do you get your protein from?

My wife is a vegetarian. I am not. The debate about how much protein a person needs to be healthy is a heated one. She hears about it constantly at work etc.
She's healthy and happy, so am I.
Eat whatever works best for you.
I've tried many different types of protein powders and could never find one I liked. Maybe things have changed.

L8TR
They have...a lot better. And there are many different textures, flavors, and palatable types So if you can't find one that you like then you likely don't like protein supplement at all.

BTW, not that this applies to you or your wife, but being healthy means being disease free, but does not necessarily mean someone is fit.
Old 07-23-19, 01:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
Ten year old thread, fellas.

Carry on.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-24-19, 03:02 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Ten year old thread, fellas.

Carry on.
Oh I knew it was old all along Timmy. I just watched a video of proteins and "how much is enough" and believe it or not, its still a highly debated and divided topic still today. Anyway, I liked the discussion, I just didn't like it enough to start a new thread. 😔
Old 07-30-19, 11:25 PM
Grotug

Bikes: Scott Addict Team Issue

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I'm very pleased with this raw grass fed whey product. I'm on my second 5lb bag and haven't had any issues with it.
Old 08-28-19, 06:32 AM
KraneXL

Protein powders are significantly better now than they were 10 years ago. Don't recall when they began to market whey, but that alone was a giant leap for protein quality. Now we've got isolate too, which are a tad bit better if you can afford them.I usually buy 1 in 3 when its on sale. Especially since isolates rarely go on sale.
Old 08-28-19, 03:09 PM
shona

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
protein powder

Thank you Krane
Old 08-30-19, 06:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
I've been using this chocolate flavored, grass fed, hormone free whey isolate - 35 lbs. of it so far. A nice thing about isolate is no cholesterol.
Old 08-30-19, 07:56 PM
shona

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been using this chocolate flavored, grass fed, hormone free whey isolate - 35 lbs. of it so far. A nice thing about isolate is no cholesterol.
thanks. how does it taste?
Old 08-30-19, 08:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by shona
thanks. how does it taste?
It's good. It's a little harder to mix lump-free than Optimum Nutrition Gold Label (not isolate), but a shaker flask fixes that. Or just shake the bottle more vigorously. Stirring doesn't work.
Old 08-30-19, 08:22 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well technically they may still have some cholesterol. Although it would be in negligible amounts for the most part.
Old 08-31-19, 07:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about cholesterol in whey protein...What I worry about is sucralose and some other unnecessary ingredients. Most protein powders use artificial sweeteners and I avoid them like a plaque. I buy my whey protein unflavoured and unsweetened..I never drink whey by itself but mix it with something else and use to it to boost protein content of my smoothies or post workout drinks. Majority of your daily protein intake should come from real food. Whey protein shouldn't be used as a substitute or replacement for real foods.
Old 08-31-19, 08:11 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Naked Whey, if you haven't already found it. But its a ghastly concoction with a putrid smell. There's a reason its not easy to find and rarely sold in that manner.

Unless you're a strength athlete or bodybuilder in which case you're burning calories and building muscle. The reason for supplements is so you won't have to be preparing meals, eating and chewing all day. There's no way you can prepare a protein meal and consume it as quickly as you can make a shake. Its also a lot easier to digest.
It's a lot healthier to prepare and chew your food than to live on supplements....That's why we have so much obesity and diabetes is because people are eating too much "fast digesting frankenfoods" instead of real foods. Nature in its wisdom designed protein foods to be slow digesting...Majority of your daily food intake should be slow digesting stuff...Fast digesting foods are only useful for fueling your body during exercise.
Old 08-31-19, 09:23 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's a lot healthier to prepare and chew your food than to live on supplements....That's why we have so much obesity and diabetes is because people are eating too much "fast digesting frankenfoods" instead of real foods. Nature in its wisdom designed protein foods to be slow digesting...Majority of your daily food intake should be slow digesting stuff...Fast digesting foods are only useful for fueling your body during exercise.
Nobody said anything about "living" on supplements WC. Not that I disagree that it isn't generally good advice. In any event, its still a non sequitur since supplement by definition means to fill in.

Your conclusion also totally ignores that this supplement is primarily designed for athletes who don't have time to 'chew' all the protein they need in a day for maximum growth and recovery. To eat enough protein naturally would give you too much fats and/or carbs you don't need. Whey helps you bypass that limitation.

Its also crucial to get the protein into your system as rapidly as possible after a workout. In that case, rapid digestion would be beneficial. And last but not least, whey is as natural as yogurt -- that clear liquid that sits on top.
Old 08-31-19, 11:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I wouldn't even worry about cholesterol in whey protein...What I worry about is sucralose and some other unnecessary ingredients. Most protein powders use artificial sweeteners and I avoid them like a plaque. I buy my whey protein unflavoured and unsweetened..I never drink whey by itself but mix it with something else and use to it to boost protein content of my smoothies or post workout drinks. Majority of your daily protein intake should come from real food. Whey protein shouldn't be used as a substitute or replacement for real foods.
The isolate product to which I linked directly above your post contains: Isolate, cocoa, sunflower lecithin, and stevia. As Krane noted, it does contain 1mg cholesterol in 24g of product. I use whey protein isolate because it's max protein per calorie and again as Krane notes, it's fast, so good after a hard workout. I've been using protein supplements, at first soy, then whey, for . . . uh . . . since 1971, so 48 years. Apparently no harm done.

Having dinner with a friend a few days ago, her 5 y.o asked her how long ago something had happened. Her mom was silent for a bit, daughter asked "what are you doing?" Mom said, "Math." Daughter needs to start reading, stat.

I don't like plaque either.