Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Padded shorts for upright posture

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-22-19, 06:49 AM
genxrev

Bikes: Framed Minnesota 2.0, RADwagon ebike, Giant simple 3 cruiser (plus 2 Harleys)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good morning!

I am am looking for some recommendations for padded men痴 bike shorts. I知 not riding a road bike, I知 riding an e-bike. I知 doing rides that are 20-40 miles, and my butt is sore. My posture on this bike is sitting almost straight upright. The pants that help my road bike riding do almost nothing, because I am not leaning forward.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by genxrev; 07-22-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 07:17 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
Don't know about shorts, but saddles made for leaning forward on a road bike would not be comfortable on whatever kind of bike it is (just says an bike in your ?). Maybe get a saddle made for a more upright sitting position. If the saddle isn't made for the way you sit on the bike, I don't know that changing shorts would help. You could try (or maybe already have?) tilting the saddle back to see if it helps.
Old 07-22-19, 07:58 AM
genxrev

Bikes: Framed Minnesota 2.0, RADwagon ebike, Giant simple 3 cruiser (plus 2 Harleys)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Corrected!

I fixed it. Thanks.

I知 on a RADWagon. It痴 a cargo bike. Decent seat, upright riding position. Well positioned and balanced, just get a sure butt on longer rides. I do 18-20 every day, no problems. The longer ones (30-50) are the ones I need some help on.

Originally Posted by freeranger
Don't know about shorts, but saddles made for leaning forward on a road bike would not be comfortable on whatever kind of bike it is (just says an bike in your ?). Maybe get a saddle made for a more upright sitting position. If the saddle isn't made for the way you sit on the bike, I don't know that changing shorts would help. You could try (or maybe already have?) tilting the saddle back to see if it helps.
Old 07-22-19, 08:07 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I'd look at the saddle first, the whole tradeoff between pressure just on sit bones vs. padding could turn out different. But if you've got a setup intended for sit bones, and you aren't parking them in the right place on the saddle due to the relaxed nature of the ride, that is going to be an issue Also consider that if you aren't pedaling at all, or are doing so with only light force, that means more of your weight is on the saddle as your legs aren't taking some of it. Stand up for a minute sometimes to get a break.
Old 07-24-19, 03:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,789 Times in 1,794 Posts
Check out the Serfas Tailbones saddles. Lycra fabric over progressive density foam. Basically, it puts the same material as padded cycling shorts onto the saddle, so you can wear whatever clothes and underwear you like.

I've had two similar saddles -- an old Terry Georgina or something like that, and a Bell -- both with Lycra over dense foam. They breathe well in hot and humid weather, so my pants don't feel clammy after I get off the bike. At the moment I'm not using either saddle, but that's because I've reconfigured the bike that I used with those saddles. With the current setup I need a different saddle shape, but I'm still leaning toward a Serfas Tailbones.

The only care I gave the saddles was to aim a portable fan at 'em when I got home from a rainy ride or particularly sweaty ride. Occasionally I'd wipe down the Lycra fabric with fabric cleaner on a sponge, and spray it with Febreze. I'm surprised how long those saddles have lasted -- both are at least 20 years old.

I use minimalist narrow, firm saddles on my road bikes, and wear the usual padded shorts. It's fine for that purpose. But for a cargo, errand or commuter bike, I'd rather have a saddle that's comfortable with ordinary clothing.

Some friends like the Selle Anatomica, but it's pricey compared with the Serfas Tailbones, and I'm still not sure the leather saddle is suitable for an all weather hybrid/commuter/errand bike.

By the way, if you do settle on a better saddle rather than padded shorts, you might also consider some tech fabric underwear like the Champion boxer/briefs made from the same wicking fabric as cycling shorts. They're ultra-thin, very comfortable, dry quickly while wearing even on the muggiest day. The kind with the mesh pouch for the delicate bits is the best. Under Armor and others sell similar underwear but Champion is the best buy. With the Lycra/foam saddles and comfy underwear, I've ridden my hybrids up to 60 miles in a day and was comfortable wearing jeans, baggy shorts, whatever I had on that day.
Old 07-24-19, 04:00 AM
genxrev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. That’s awesome info!
Old 07-24-19, 04:01 AM
genxrev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I am looking into a new saddle.