Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

First pass at fit for Christmas gift

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 06:49 PM
puttster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a Trek 7500 17" frame for my daughter for Christmas. She is not a serious biker, her bike trips will be probably of short duration in the city. Still, I want the fit to be as good as reasonably possible.

She had a lower back disk operation last year and her kneecaps are not in great shape ( swimming as a kid?). I think the saddle on the bike is a Brassano Vuelta. Right now the handlebars are about 3.0" maybe 3.5" above the seat. She is 5'6" or 5'7" medium build, maybe a little skinny. I would like to get a good fit because I know this girl and she will not change it after bringing it home.

The guy who sold it to me was actually about her height so maybe the fit is okay as is but I would like some suggestions from the experts. Thx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 7500.jpg (100.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-15-16, 07:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The #1 mistake I see with those who are new to cycling or who don't ride much is that saddles are usually much too low. Saddle height is maybe the one most important thing to get right. Here's how I determine it:

While wearing the same shoes you will use to ride the bike, mount it while next to something you can lean on, like the railing in the photo. With the heel of one foot on its pedal, rotate the pedals backwards until that pedal is at bottom dead center. With one's heel on the pedal, one's knee should be completely locked, leg straight. Adjust the saddle until this is true. Then try it with the other leg. When doing this test, be careful not to rock the hips. Keep the pelvis level and let the leg hang naturally down, don't force it.

The saddle in the photo could easily be 3"-4" too low for a person of your daughter's height.

If you want/can, after you get the saddle adjusted, post a comment with 2 photos of her on the bike, one with cranks up and down and the other with cranks horizontal.
Old 12-16-16, 11:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yes, basic saddle height adjustment.. Heel of foot (near barefoot, rather than shoes with thick heel) on pedal=leg straight ,

then ball of foot on pedal axis is where the ankle extension makes things good..

There are Crank Forward frames made for those who need the security of a flat foot when at stops ,

but that is for just a quite casual rider..

and you dont have one of those frames ..

you had it checked out @ bike shop for safety and function? aka 'tune up' ?

Old 12-16-16, 07:35 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Height is not as important as inseam. Some folks are more torso, some longer leg length. Do you know her inseam? This would give you a good starting point:
Setting your saddle height in five easy steps

1. Measure your inside leg
2. Simulate your saddle contact point off the bike using a ruler or spirit level
3. Mark this point and measure the height from the ground
4. Knock 10cm off the measurement
5. Apply this measurement from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle, following the line of the seat tube

For me, that ended up being the exact measurement set for me by my professional bike fitter - spot on. Have her tuck a book between her legs up against her pelvic area. Measure from the top edge of the book to the floor. Subtract the 10cm.
Old 12-16-16, 08:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Let her decide if it's comfortable.
Has she ridden a bike at all in the last 5 years? 10 years?
Saddle height may be very important for longer&faster rides. Getting on&off the saddle, especially in city situations, may make her feel more comfortable than the perfect saddle height.
Brakes are most important, check those.

edit: nice Christmas gift!

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-16-16 at 09:04 PM.